USB disconnecting

Since my latest post here I've rerouted all power supply through my Furman power conditioner (which I should have done right away). This definatly solved the problem. There must have been a grounding or ground loop issue or transients / spikes in the power supply which caused the usb playback to crash. (I noticed the usb play back crashing every time the vacuum cleaner was powered up or the one TL fixture in our home switched on) My laptop is now the only thing which isn't powered via the Furman because it's always powered via the battery which by nature filters out power transients, disengages every direct link to the mains and prevents ground loops with (usb or otherwise) connected gear.
Thanks.Hm..., I'll grab your idea and gonna investigate the problem. Do you think this problem would only be connected to power supply or it could be also related to usb root hub or chipset drivers incompatibility?

Thanks.Hm..., I'll grab your idea and gonna investigate the problem. Do you think this problem would only be connected to power supply or it could be also related to usb root hub or chipset drivers incompatibility?
This is purely power supply related. By using the Furman I've created a star shaped ground system and eliminated ground loops which act as antennae for transients and spikes you don't want and the furman also sort of isolates the connected systems from the power mains, also to keep out transients. These spikes and transients somehow hardwarewise disrupt usb operation; not incompatibility in drivers / firmware.

Just a latest update for my issue . It's not related to the fractal unit itself . It is due to my iMac power supply faulty which caused the frequent disconnection of the audio interface sound function .

Very interesting! I think you guys are onto something because sometimes the USB dropouts occur when I turn off a tubeamp. So maybe the power supply for my PC is causing the issue (although I never had problems like this with my Axe Fx II or XL+).

Do you guys think hooking my fractal up to a power conditioner could solve the problem?

Very interesting! I think you guys are onto something because sometimes the USB dropouts occur when I turn off a tubeamp. So maybe the power supply for my PC is causing the issue (although I never had problems like this with my Axe Fx II or XL+).

Do you guys think hooking my fractal up to a power conditioner could solve the problem?
For me that almost solved this issue. Now only incidently it happens.

I'm getting a brand new PC today. I'm very curious if the problems will still arise with that PC.... Also the latency reporting thing. I will keep you guys posted!

I’ve been experiencing both this and the “not reporting latency to OS” issues with AX3 since I got it in early 2020. I’ve given up and went the SPDIF + dedicated interface route. Zero problems since.

It’s worth noting that Helix floor/rack, HX Stomp, and even the $450 Pod Go all do not have either of these issues on the same Windows and two different Mac computers, using all the same cabling, powered Anker USB-C dock, and Furman M-8DX power setup, although I do not want to use any of them as my primary unit since after a few mins with AX3 I had it sounding better than what I was getting with Helix after 5 years.

Last edited:
Hey man , is this issue still occurring ?

I can't give a definitive answer yet but it seems to be at least much much better now. I've only had it disconnect once at startup. Now I'm starting up the PC first and then the Fractal. So far no issues...

Try plugging your axe Fx into a different electrical socket (separate ring main to the one your using currently - use an extension cable if you have to pull power from a different part of the house)
Personally I had this exact issue long ago, and nailed it to two causes.
The first was the USB socket on the axe 3 felt loose and if I touched it in any way the audio would drop out and only rebooting the unit would it come back..
Secondly and by chance I was doing some DIY in the room where the axe was… wait for it… 😂 my iMac was playing audio via the axe no problem until I switched the power drill on I was using, and voila, EVERY SINGLE time I put the drill on the audio would drop out… so I tested further, using small electric heater and a large electric heater, small no effect - large would drop the audio again every time.
So I figured it’s a power drop/surge which the USB / audio card can’t handle.
And to note, my axe 2 does not drop audio like this, using same computers (iMac and dell laptop) same cables etc, only the axe 3 has issues.

I have this problem with axe fx 3 mark 2. Connection times out randomly. I changed to short usb cable, went for days without the problem then it started again out of nowhere.

I can't give a definitive answer yet but it seems to be at least much much better now. I've only had it disconnect once at startup. Now I'm starting up the PC first and then the Fractal. So far no issues...
Thanks man. I use the same setup from my line6 helix stomp on the table and line6 helix stomp connection was good all the time haha

Back
Top Bottom