USB disconnecting

I have noticed something strange in regard of USB disconnecting - before 12.07 if it disconnected, I had to shut down Axe and app that was using it, after unit has started I could start the app and it was working (sometimes "endlessly', sometimes until next disconnection). With 12.07 it mostly froze for a second or two, then working fine, just very few times disconnected totally. Now with deux it is stranger - Axe driver shows device disconneted, Reaper does not see audio device, AIMP does not see audio device, Opera with YT playing via Axe was disconnected, started to play through my monitor speakers for 2 seconds and switched playback back to Axe. Driver CP shows still that device is disconnected.

Okay same thing here - did some initial tests and it seems to hold up much better on Ubuntu than Windows 10. But not working on Windows 10 is quite frustrating.

Edit: This is 100% reproducible by flicking a light switch in another room...

Last edited:
I'm still dealing with this issue everyday. I've tried everything but to no avail. Never had these issues with the previous Axe Fx iterations nor with other sound cards.

Same issue here. Bought the Axe Fx in March or so, don't think the problem occurred in the first few months. It's been getting pretty bad the last few weeks, replaced all my cables, followed all the suggestions in this thread to no avail.

Running Windows 10, latest version, with all the latest AxeFx drivers + firmware. Problem seemed to be fixed for +- 24 hours after updating my motherboard BIOS, but after that it's been just as bad as ever.

On the AxeFx3, you can see that the USB Buffer Levels output just drops to zero when the problem occurs, and doesn't go back up, no matter what I do. Does anyone know if there is anyone at Fractal working on the issue? I've looked online but the only 'solution' seems to be to buy another audio interface, which I'd rather not.. since I just got rid of mine, after buying my AxeFx.

Same problem. Axe was bought two months ago. Same both on windows 10 and on mac. Tried to isolate power, replace USB cables, replace USB hub on MacBook. Nothing helps.

Get rid of the hub.

The same problem persists without a hub on iMac (macOS High Sierra) and on generic PC(Win 10). Tested five cables (simple long (1m), simple short (30cm), stock cable from Focusrite Scarlet Solo, cable (50cm) with shielding, and stock cable (1m) with shielding with ferrite ring from old HP printer).

Only helps disconnect AF3 from computer -> power off AF3 -> wait 10 sec -> power on AF3 -> wait while it loads -> connect to computer.

Last edited:
Not using hub. Have this problem almost every time I go to record. Unplug and replug works. Bit of a nuisance.

I've got big usb issues as well. If i boot the computer with the axe turned on, it stops recognising the axe. Not certain yet but seems to come back after a few days with the axe not plugged in via usb and a reinstall of the drivers. Frustrating

I definitely resolved unplug and Replog the usb from hub. This for me always resolve. I have a PowerBook with 4 usb-c with hub attached

I've also had issues with USB disconnecting, both on my previous Ax8 and on my new FM3. I have the latest 13" Macbook Pro and used to connect that to a Caldigit TS3+ that was connected to the Ax8/FM3. I've had issues with that TS3+ all the way since I got it and it's supposed to be one of if not the best Thunderbolt 3 hubs available. Anyway, a couple of days ago a decided to ditch it and connect the Macbook directly to my LG Thunderbolt monitor and connect the FM3 to one of the ports on the back of the monitor. Been rock solid for days.

Hello friends,

Been doing a lot of experimenting these last few weeks, and am happy to report I have not had this issue in 48 hours! If this changes, I'll comment again / update this post.

What I did was update my BIOS, reinstall the drivers, change my Windows settings so Windows can no longer control when a USB device gets powered - all the stuff that was suggested earlier in the thread. This... helped? Certainly didn't 'fix' the issue. Here's the tl;dr of what did:

My microphone (Blue Yeti, USB mic) had a bad usb-power connection. I'm not sure how to phrase it exactly, but the USB cable that went into my Yeti was a bit wobbly. I think it's called the USB port. Took it apart, made the power cable entrance fit a bit more snuggly, zero problems since.
Here's a video that I used to fix the issue:

Hypothesis of why this worked: the Blue Yeti (and perhaps one of your devices?) can act as an audio playback device. Note that in my case, it should not have, but perhaps sometimes it lost power, regained power, overwrote the Windows setting that said my AxeFx was the primary playback device, and the whole system crapped itself until I rebooted the AxeFx.

I have now completely disabled every single audio playback device aside from the AxeFx. This, combined with fixing the Blue Yeti (which, again, I'd like to emphasize can act as a playback device)'s power supply, has fixed my issue.

Hope this provides y'all with some more information and a possible solution. I'll stick around in this thread to provide updates on my situation, and to help others where I can.

Cheers!

It didn't do it every time, but I would lose audio when the furnace kicked on. I have an outlet on it's own circuit right next to the breaker box with nothing plugged into it. I plugged the Axe into that and I was still losing audio when the furnace kicked on. So I plugged my computer and Axe into that circ

I'm having the same issue. Try reinstall driver, update all Fractal software, firmware etc... Used diferents ports. Lately i'm having this issue more often than months ago when the unit was newer, now every 15 minutes USB audio stops.

I'm using a furman power conditioner AC215. i plug there all the PC rig and the Axe-FX III. The other day i notice that when the frigobar (on the same electrical net but on diferent outlet than the power conditioner) starts or stops is the very moment when the USB audio stops.

I need to do more experiment, but it seems that yes is an electrical problem and USB port on Axe-FX III is extremly sensitive.

I will do more test in the incoming days and share the results.

I'm having the same issue. Try reinstall driver, update all Fractal software, firmware etc... Used diferents ports. Lately i'm having this issue more often than months ago when the unit was newer, now every 15 minutes USB audio stops.

I'm using a furman power conditioner AC215. i plug there all the PC rig and the Axe-FX III. The other day i notice that when the frigobar (on the same electrical net but on diferent outlet than the power conditioner) starts or stops is the very moment when the USB audio stops.

I need to do more experiment, but it seems that yes is an electrical problem and USB port on Axe-FX III is extremly sensitive.

I will do more test in the incoming days and share the results.

Yes, sometimes it seems to have to do with power! For instance, my USB has disconnected on some occasions when I turned a tube amp on or off, that amp was connected to my loadbox and Axe Fx. Strange

Yes, sometimes it seems to have to do with power! For instance, my USB has disconnected on some occasions when I turned a tube amp on or off, that amp was connected to my loadbox and Axe Fx. Strange
Yeah, my kitchen florescent light used to trigger it, but haven't happened in weeks now. :)

I'm pretty shure it's not power supply related. Probably has to do with usb port / card on my laptop - time out or something like that.

So, is there any solution for the problem? The issue persists even with the new unit usb firmware update, the audio cuts randomly but not the axe edit connection. Any news or hacks from someone who has resolved this strange connectivity issue?

So, is there any solution for the problem? The issue persists even with the new unit usb firmware update, the audio cuts randomly but not the axe edit connection. Any news or hacks from someone who has resolved this strange connectivity issue?
Since my latest post here I've rerouted all power supply through my Furman power conditioner (which I should have done right away). This definatly solved the problem. There must have been a grounding or ground loop issue or transients / spikes in the power supply which caused the usb playback to crash. (I noticed the usb play back crashing every time the vacuum cleaner was powered up or the one TL fixture in our home switched on) My laptop is now the only thing which isn't powered via the Furman because it's always powered via the battery which by nature filters out power transients, disengages every direct link to the mains and prevents ground loops with (usb or otherwise) connected gear.

Back
Top Bottom