USB disconnecting

I'm having the same issue here. Tried multiple cables and USB ports, disconnecting other USB devices, reinstalling drivers, removing Axe FX II XL driver, disabling energy management on every available USB device... to no avail.

No known solution yet?

Sometimes I even have this problem right after I turn on my Axe fx and PC. No sound. Then I have to reboot the PC and Axe fx to get sound from the USB again. Usually it happens in the middle of working on a mix or something though. I still have no clue what causes this but my other sound cards done not have any issues like this at all.

I'm on windows 10 btw

I'm having the same issue here. Tried multiple cables and USB ports, disconnecting other USB devices, reinstalling drivers, removing Axe FX II XL driver, disabling energy management on every available USB device... to no avail.

No known solution yet?
Yes. Check your USB settings. By default USBs timeout if not used. There’s a Windows setting which tells it not to. There’s also a command you can run to reset USBs. You’ll have to google it.

Our lighting computer loses its USB connection if the power goes out. That’s how I found out about the problem and solution.

This happens to me as well. The same computer and cable were fine with my Ax8 and Axe-II. The Axe-III works only about half of the time as a ASIO device.

Also, I wonder if this could somehow be connected to my sample latency issue. As I've explained in other threads, in order to get my Axe fx recordings in sync in cubase I have to put a 1160 value entry in the 'adjust for record latency' box. Otherwise my recordings are not in sync. Perhaps it would be helpful if you guys could also test this. You can do this by recording your click track back into your axe fx and measuring the latency in samples. Normally there shouldn't be any latency at all.

This also did not happen with my previous axe fx's, just as the USB dropout issues so that's why I wonder if this is somehow connected to each other.

Last edited:
Sometimes I even have this problem right after I turn on my Axe fx and PC. No sound. Then I have to reboot the PC and Axe fx to get sound from the USB again. Usually it happens in the middle of working on a mix or something though. I still have no clue what causes this but my other sound cards done not have any issues like this at all.

I'm on windows 10 btw

@Guitarjon. Unplug the usb from PC / MAC port for 2 seconds, then plug it back in.

Thats the best fix at the moment. no need to reboot. Also, if you turn on the AXE III, before you wake the computer, it'll work without doing anything.
If you have problems in the middle of playing/ mixing, thats an additional problem. In my case, the only other USB disconnect i ever got, was when i used a non-powered USB Hub. I plug the Axe straight in, and use my powered hub for everything else.

@Guitarjon. Unplug the usb from PC / MAC port for 2 seconds, then plug it back in.

Thats the best fix at the moment. no need to reboot. Also, if you turn on the AXE III, before you wake the computer, it'll work without doing anything.
If you have problems in the middle of playing/ mixing, thats an additional problem. In my case, the only other USB disconnect i ever got, was when i used a non-powered USB Hub. I plug the Axe straight in, and use my powered hub for everything else.

I always start my axe fx first. I never use USB hubs. It doesn't happen everytime. It seems random. However it does happen enough for it to be a nuisance.

There will always be some latency. That's why you have the compensation option.

No, that is not correct. The Axe Fx first of all has direct monitoring, so when you're tracking you shouldn't notice any latency, which I also don't of course, so that's fine. The recorded signal in the daw however, has a latency shift and that is not supposed to happen.

No, that is not correct. The Axe Fx first of all has direct monitoring, so when you're tracking you shouldn't notice any latency, which I also don't of course, so that's fine. The recorded signal in the daw however, has a latency shift and that is not supposed to happen.

I read you. Think we are just talking about latency from different sources :)

I always start my axe fx first. I never use USB hubs. It doesn't happen everytime. It seems random. However it does happen enough for it to be a nuisance.

Yeah, It's a nuisance.
I'd rather plug /unplug in 2 seconds, than lose hours of valuable time to an issue that currently has no true resolve.

You have to set the correct offset value!!!
Direct monitoring is so you can hear zero latency, however the recorded tracks will be staggered, until the value has been entered.
  • Zoom in on two waveforms that are misaligned.
  • place the cursor at the beginning of the first, write down the sample position
  • place the cursor at the beginning of the second, write down the sample position
  • subtract the smaller from the larger one.
  • that number is the exact amount of latency offset compensation you need to enter.

You have to set the correct offset value!!!
Direct monitoring is so you can hear zero latency, however the recorded tracks will be staggered, until the value has been entered.
  • Zoom in on two waveforms that are misaligned.
  • place the cursor at the beginning of the first, write down the sample position
  • place the cursor at the beginning of the second, write down the sample position
  • subtract the smaller from the larger one.
  • that number is the exact amount of latency offset compensation you need to enter.

I have never ever had to do anything like that with my other and old soundcards, also not my Axe Fx II and Axe Fx XL+. My first encounter with this was the Axe fx III. Anyway, there already is an old thread on this issue. I'm not the only one. The reason I brought it up is to see if the other people with the USB drop out issue also have this issue, who knows, it could be connected?

This USB disconnect problem really concerns me. I got my Axe3 & FC6 bundle today, racking it tomorrow. One of the ways I was able to rationalize spending almost $4,000 (Canadian) was the possibility of selling my current interfaces, a MOTU 828es and an RME ADI-2 Pro. If the Axe3 interface capability is flaky, I'll have to keep one of the other interfaces. Nuts!!!

By the way, sorry if this has already been answered, but is this a problem only when using it as a primary interface? Or does it have the same problem when just recording guitar or reamping guitar tracks using USB?

Back
Top Bottom