USB disconnecting

I also have USB troubles, when using it as my pc’s soundcard I’ll often have pc audio not work (videos will literally freeze) after booting the axe fx until I unplug the usb and replug it. Sometimes that doesn’t help and eventually it randomly starts working after trying replugs, disabling the sound device, and restarting both the axe and pc. Sometimes I have noticed it stops working after awhile. I’ve also tried playing with the buffer but that doesn’t seem to affect it. I’m hoping it’s a driver issue that can be addressed.

For background info I’m using a ryzen 2700x and 16gb of 3200mhz cas14 ram.

Same here. I thought it was my Win 10 computer USB or audio card driver until I found that the only way to restore audio was to reboot the Axe. Mine will even die in the middle of a video and it will keep playing but no sound until I unplug and reboot the Axe.

I have (had?) 2 kinds of USB troubles:
  • Turning the Axe off and on when the PC stays booted
  • Updating the Axe with new firmware (obviously requires a reboot with the PC on)
I am also using Win10. I've made adjustments to my workflow such that the former is a non-issue and possibly the latter as well. When I boot my Axe (PC already on/logged in/etc.), I have the PC set to a non-Axe default audio output device. I manually switch it to the default when I need it for that purpose. Then, and this is the critical part, when I want to turn my Axe off, I reset the default audio device to my regular sound chip and kill Axe Edit (don't know if that matters). As long as I don't turn the Axe off with it still set to default sound device, it comes back to the PC every time perfectly.

I'm having this problem on my Windows 7 laptop all of a sudden. No issues on Windows 8 desktop. running the latest driver and FW 5.02. I had a slight issue a few times but never like this. I can get about a minute or so out of it and then it cuts out. I have to restart the Axe but it won't run audio from the PC for more than a minute, so it's pretty much useless with my laptop until I get it figured out.

I've had similar issues but fortunately it doesn't happen too often.
I'm on W10 btw.

A bigger issue I've had is that my recordings don't land on the right sample position, in other words my Axe Fx doesn't seem to communicate well with my DAW which causes a slight delay that needs to be adjusted with 'record shift' (in Cubase 10) of 1160 samples.
Never had these issues with my Axe Fx II or XL+ but I'm glad there is a workaround for the latter issue.

I noticed a (to me) new USB driver on the FAS homepage.

It says "Jan 30th" but I think I checked regularly throughout past weeks and months and always so the latest driver being from 2018. So I haven't installed it yet.

Anyone of you uses this driver and still experiences the problem?

I noticed a (to me) new USB driver on the FAS homepage.

It says "Jan 30th" but I think I checked regularly throughout past weeks and months and always so the latest driver being from 2018. So I haven't installed it yet.

Anyone of you uses this driver and still experiences the problem?
I was having issues with the old one so I updated, but the new one still has the same issue for me.

I'm having this problem on my Windows 7 laptop all of a sudden. No issues on Windows 8 desktop. running the latest driver and FW 5.02. I had a slight issue a few times but never like this. I can get about a minute or so out of it and then it cuts out. I have to restart the Axe but it won't run audio from the PC for more than a minute, so it's pretty much useless with my laptop until I get it figured out.
Well, I seem to have it sorted out for now. I set buffer size to 256 on both the axe and the driver, then selected it to run in safe mode on the FAS driver interface. I also deselected the option on the control panel to allow programs to take exclusive control. I've been playing thunderstruck on loop for a few times and it's still going. I will try to practice with EZDrummer 2 in standalone and see how it does.

Edit: Never mind. Not fixed. I'm going crazy here.

Last edited:
Did anyone get a fix for this?
It’s started happening to my III now.
I’ve tried both a my iMac and my PC. With 3 different cables and different ports... USB audio drops out after about half an hour. Only cycling the III restores it, then it starts to drop out every few minutes.....
Sound card hardware issue maybe??

I’ve tried both a my iMac and my PC. With 3 different cables and different ports... USB audio drops out after about half an hour. Only cycling the III restores it, then it starts to drop out every few minutes.....
54321pj......
How many usb devices are connected to your DAW ?
I found another device on the same usb hub to be the issue, in my case.
After moving the usb devices to different ports, it solved my problem.
The Axe III needs to be connected to a usb hub, that has no other device on there.

I had a couple of empty leads - chargers for iphones, but no phones attached at the other end... I'll try without anything...

I had this exact problem today on FW 8.0. Left the III and Axe Edit on for a few hours. It disconnected on its own and would not reconnect until I cycled the III.

If you choose "view hidden devices" in Device Manager do you see multiple Axe-Fx III units present?

I’d have to Google it, so I guess you’d be quicker doing it yourself. The USB times out and goes to sleep after being inactive for a while, and then won’t reconnect. There is a way of stopping it going to sleep.

There is another separate but similar issue where the you have to use RUN to delete the USB addresses, which forces Windows to reinitialise them.

I'm on a Imac
Since my first post I realised I was not on the latest USB firmware so I updated, and had the audio run through the III for around 3 hours and I thought I had cracked it..... Then it dropped out again. Only cycling the AXE III and then reiserting the USB cable restores it. I have nothing else plugged into any USB port.
Driving me insane. My work around is to run the audio from a PC into my AXE FX IIXL (this is my old rig) and then into the III via input 3.. But I shouldn't have to do this - no.? A fix would be appreciated.

I'm on a Imac
The problem is that the USB specification is designed to time out and go to sleep after being inactive for a while. So I expect that the MAC has the same problem as Windows, and I’m guessing that the solution is similar.

Back
Top Bottom