USB Direct vs Audio Interface

bigswifty

Inspired
Hey guys,

Just wanted to gather some opinions on using the Axe-FX direct in via USB or feeding out to another audio interface.
What do you do, and why?

I just discovered that for about a year I've been using the Axe2 direct via USB into Reaper set at 44.1khs sample rate...
Does this cause an audible decrease in audio quality? I'm not sure if I should up the DAW sample to 48khz and do everything that way, or have the Axe2 out to my UR22 and go 44.1 all day.

What other ways can I optimize my Axe-FX recording setup?
And some OCD kicking in, but just to be sure, running the Axe into a 44.1 sample rate DAW can't harm it in any way, could it?

Also, what DAW are you using, and for those who feed out to an interface, which one?

Good topic. I'd like to hear some opinions as well. My unit is coming in this week, I figured I'd just try out both ways and see if there's any difference. Either direct, or into my Focusrite 2i2.

I've used USB since the release of the AxeII and I'm buying a sound card sometime soon.©
Nothing to do with sound qulity but with routting options. What I want to do can't be done with the USB limitations. (Editing patches in the mix, having three wet outs and a dry one, chiefly)

I just use USB directly.
I can edit and reamp my patches in the mix with asio4all and it's pretty neat as a sound card.

when I first got the Axe I was recording / reamping via jack cables between the Axe and the audio interface..
I tried using the USB but had some issues..
after upgrading my Mac to Mountain Lion I tried the USB again [out of curiosity] as part of an aggregate interface and it works really well..
so now I use the USB

of course it helps that most of my projects are now at 48k sample rate..
that said.. on the odd occasion that I have to work at 44.1k, I don't bother changing all the other audio files..
I just do a rough mix, bounce the song down..
open a new Logic project at 48k, import the bounced song and reset it's sample rate to 48k..
I'll can now cut my guitars via USB..
then I'll go back to the original project at 44.1k and import / convert my guitar tracks...

doing it this way saves converting audio files to 48 and back for the entire drum kit, vocals bass etc.. etc etc.. and many more etc's..
keeps the work load down..

I just discovered that for about a year I've been using the Axe2 direct via USB into Reaper set at 44.1khs sample rate...
Does this cause an audible decrease in audio quality?

Wow!

I don't know if Reaper does some kind of automagic adjust, but having the Axe at one sample rate and the DAW at another shouldn't just work.

You should hear everything pitch shifted!

To sum up: many people have felt the signal was 'enhanced' using a dedicated interface, in particular the Focusrites are revered. If I'm only playing guitar (Axe or my Taboo preamp), I tend to use the Axe for interface, it's very pure-seeming in sound.

Wow!

I don't know if Reaper does some kind of automagic adjust, but having the Axe at one sample rate and the DAW at another shouldn't just work.

You should hear everything pitch shifted!

Mmmm, unless my Axe is set at 41.1 - can it be?? - I'm still at 41.1 in my DAW , no issues. Haven't thought about changing in a while.......

Last edited:
hm....I use Reaper with USB direct as well, I'm going to have to look at what rate I'm set up at.

Well guys, I've figured a couple things!

First, it seems Reaper will switch back and forth between sample rates, depending on what is in command as the sound driver.
When I had the ASIO driver in command, it would work at 44.1 - until I told it to switch to 48 for ASIO.
When I put the Axe-FX in control as the driver, it would up to 48khz sample rate automatically. So it seems I was just getting critical of my approach after reading some new stuff.

The question still remains though! What are the pro's of routing the Axe-FX through another unit, like the Saffire 2i4/2i2 or the Steinberg UR22?
I guess via that method it would be fine to run everything straight at 44.1khz.
But has anyone gone from one method to the other and found one to sound better/give better response than the other?

I have used both methods and to ease setup, I have just been going straight into Logic via the AFX and using it to output a stereo mix to my monitors. However, since I am going to be preparing my AFX for more live use and house it in a separate rack, I may be going back to a desktop interface to simply eliminate any "mess" at my workstation and can keep my cable routing cleaner.

As to your question on sample rate... here's a pretty good article that I stumbled across that may help you decide on your choice:

Sample rate, and the myth of accuracy - Hometracked

I have kind of "defaulted" everything to 44.1 in my recordings without much concern and have gotten great results.

So looking at my project settings on Reaper it seems like I'm at 44.1K. Guess I'll have to try out 48k.

EDIT: Before I changed anything I noticed this at the top, does this mean Reaper has sorted out everything for me already?

VAIXPhn.png

So looking at my project settings on Reaper it seems like I'm at 44.1K. Guess I'll have to try out 48k.

EDIT: Before I changed anything I noticed this at the top, does this mean Reaper has sorted out everything for me already?

VAIXPhn.png

I believe it does!

That top corner lists the preferences -> devices setup. So if it reads 48, you're running in 48 :encouragement:

I use analog via a RME Fireface interface. I like the sample rate flexibility (I normally track at 44.1k/24 bit), and to my eyes/ears I'm able to get a hotter signal into the DAW than with USB. I also use analog to reamp.

to be honest.. you don't need a hotter signal to the DAW.. maybe you would in the days of tape to get out of the noise floor..
but in this digital age.. it's not really needed..
if anything.. the RME is actually adding noise that you may not have if you were using the USB..

make an aggregate interface… then you get the best of both…
better in fact…
you can play, hear your dirty tone [via the jack cables into the AI] plus the mix through your monitors..
and simultaneously record the dry via the Axe's USB

Back
Top Bottom