USB connectivity problems

So received my FM3 today :) and proceeded to backup the unit without issue.
Applied the latest firmware 1.03 without issue
Applied the OMG9 layout without issue
Turned off the FM3 for dinner
Returned back to the FM3 and powered it on and launched FM3-edit and and my macbook no longer sees the FM3.

Troubleshooting steps performed with no success
rebooted Macbook
Tried different USB cable
Uninstalled and reinstalled FM3-edit
Tried Windows 10 laptop with FM3
Windows 10 sees the FM3 but returns error message even with all the correct USB drivers.
Reset FM3 back to factory from the utility window
Tried MacBook again still doesn't see FM3.
Tried to perform an Emergency Boot Loader but Fractal Bot doesn't see the device.
Searched the forum and found someone with the same issue but not resolution.

All the while my Macbook and Windows 10 device can see and edit my AxeFx3 without issues.

Anything I missed, I've had this unit for about 5 hours and very bummed that it's not working like expected.

Sounds like some solid troubleshooting. You may need to open a ticket with support unfortunately.

Be advised, the service department isn't performing any repairs right now due to the pandemic. If you want to use it, keep it for now. Wish I had known. Ordered mine, had it 4 days, reported the problem, was told to send it in. Then was told they essentially shut down service department. Can't even get a reply at this point.

Be advised, the service department isn't performing any repairs right now due to the pandemic. If you want to use it, keep it for now. Wish I had known. Ordered mine, had it 4 days, reported the problem, was told to send it in. Then was told they essentially shut down service department. Can't even get a reply at this point.

I'm sorry to hear that, I got an RMA number today and plan on shipping it back tomorrow. I have my Axe3 that I can use while this is out for repairs. I did some more searching on the forum and it sounds like others are having similar issues with either intermitted USB connectivity or full blown failure to communicate like mine. I remember when I first got my Axe3 having similar issues with my macbook but could get it to connect if I followed a specific order of plugging in the unit. I haven't noticed that issue with my axe3 for over a year so, maybe it's related to something in the firmware. I got my Axe3 when they were on firmware version 4.01. I haven't noticed it in a long time and now don't have any issues with my Axe3.

I think the FM3 firmware is on par with I think 6.03 or 6.04 of the Axe3 version. So maybe something in a later firmware update fixed the Axe3 USB connectivity issues I initial experienced (release notes don't indicate any USB fixes after 5.06, but we know developers fix thing and don't always update the release notes). This is all observational on my part. Either way, my FM3 worked for about 2 hours and then failed to connect after that. I tried every single USB cable and every macbook and Windows test device I had in my lab and couldn't get the FM3 to connect. My Axe3 worked with every device and cable as a control test. Something is wrong with my FM3.

I hope you hear something soon.

I'm sorry to hear that, I got an RMA number today and plan on shipping it back tomorrow. I have my Axe3 that I can use while this is out for repairs. I did some more searching on the forum and it sounds like others are having similar issues with either intermitted USB connectivity or full blown failure to communicate like mine. I remember when I first got my Axe3 having similar issues with my macbook but could get it to connect if I followed a specific order of plugging in the unit. I haven't noticed that issue with my axe3 for over a year so, maybe it's related to something in the firmware. I got my Axe3 when they were on firmware version 4.01. I haven't noticed it in a long time and now don't have any issues with my Axe3.

I think the FM3 firmware is on par with I think 6.03 or 6.04 of the Axe3 version. So maybe something in a later firmware update fixed the Axe3 USB connectivity issues I initial experienced (release notes don't indicate any USB fixes after 5.06, but we know developers fix thing and don't always update the release notes). This is all observational on my part. Either way, my FM3 worked for about 2 hours and then failed to connect after that. I tried every single USB cable and every macbook and Windows test device I had in my lab and couldn't get the FM3 to connect. My Axe3 worked with every device and cable as a control test. Something is wrong with my FM3.

Thanks, hopefully we'll both have our 3's back before the typical response of "soon"

I was having similar issues. 1.03 did help with freezing but still a few lingering issues. If you still have the unit, have you tried powering the unit on with USB disconnected? Once it boots fully, plug back in and see if the Mac will recognize the FM3. Also, from working with support, there are still some USB fixes on the way in 1.04. What that covers, i have no idea. I know they are working hard to get things resolved.

I was having similar issues. 1.03 did help with freezing but still a few lingering issues. If you still have the unit, have you tried powering the unit on with USB disconnected? Once it boots fully, plug back in and see if the Mac will recognize the FM3. Also, from working with support, there are still some USB fixes on the way in 1.04. What that covers, i have no idea. I know they are working hard to get things resolved.

I tried it all, different laptops, different operating systems, different USB cables, plugged, and unplugged. It works for about 2 hours when I received it and then stopped working.

It sounds like a possible issue with the firmware and or how your machine(s) are seeing it. It has worked fine for many others. One additional thing I would have tried would have been to RESTORE YOUR COMPUTER then do a fresh install of all software. Make sure the USB drivers are all up to date and all your setting including hardware and device profiles are correct and optimized. Firewalls and other security software may also have a part in blocking the device from being recognized. I hope you tried multiple USB ports. I doubt there is anything wrong with the FM3 itself- especially since you reset it but maybe since you had an issue on your other machine. Please let us know how this all works out for you. Also- why FM3 when you already have an AXFXIII?

It sounds like a possible issue with the firmware and or how your machine(s) are seeing it. It has worked fine for many others. One additional thing I would have tried would have been to RESTORE YOUR COMPUTER then do a fresh install of all software. Make sure the USB drivers are all up to date and all your setting including hardware and device profiles are correct and optimized. Firewalls and other security software may also have a part in blocking the device from being recognized. I hope you tried multiple USB ports. I doubt there is anything wrong with the FM3 itself- especially since you reset it but maybe since you had an issue on your other machine. Please let us know how this all works out for you. Also- why FM3 when you already have an AXFXIII?

the MacBook was a fresh install and so was the win10 build. All worked with my Axe3 without issue.

why FM3 when I have a Axe3? Portability and easE but mostly because I can. It’s the same reason I still hold onto all my amps and guitars. I’m fortunate and grateful that I can do that.

Gotcha- if you can, why not! Maybe it is an issue with the unit but even with a "fresh" install, it might not have installed correctly on both units. A simple restore point refresh/restart takes ~5 minutes and in some cases does the trick. Obviously, you reinstall all the software. Depending on connections, sometimes file are missing when you download. Like anything, these things are often a matter of trial and lots of error. They will probably tell you your machine worked fine for them- or send you a new one that does the same thing. Eventually you'll get there. The fact that things worked fine on your AXFXIII is almost irrelevant- it's like saying the last 3 spins came up red. Each spin is unique but hopefully your luck changes soon!

Wow, this is not good, i just got my FM3 two days ago, it work well the first day, but today I'm having the same problem, i sent an email to fractal, they respond within an hour, but even tho we did some procedures nothing work, they had to close, so they will get back to me tomorrow again to see if this can be fix, otherwise is going back, on the other hand my Axe FX3 is working beautifully ...

That sucks. I sent mine in for a broken USB jack. What did you send yours in for?

Last edited:
So received my FM3 today :) and proceeded to backup the unit without issue.
Applied the latest firmware 1.03 without issue
Applied the OMG9 layout without issue
Turned off the FM3 for dinner
Returned back to the FM3 and powered it on and launched FM3-edit and and my macbook no longer sees the FM3.

Troubleshooting steps performed with no success
rebooted Macbook
Tried different USB cable
Uninstalled and reinstalled FM3-edit
Tried Windows 10 laptop with FM3
Windows 10 sees the FM3 but returns error message even with all the correct USB drivers.
Reset FM3 back to factory from the utility window
Tried MacBook again still doesn't see FM3.
Tried to perform an Emergency Boot Loader but Fractal Bot doesn't see the device.
Searched the forum and found someone with the same issue but not resolution.

All the while my Macbook and Windows 10 device can see and edit my AxeFx3 without issues.

Anything I missed, I've had this unit for about 5 hours and very bummed that it's not working like expected.
I had to the choose the correct port in the settings for FM3 Edit when I had this issue.
The FM3 uses serial over USB not Midi over USB like the Axe Fx 3.

These are the things that would keep me up at night, as a business manager dealing with overseas partners.

I dont know if there's a defect, or just a few faulty parts. No way to know.

Back
Top Bottom