USB Cable Quality

when he talked about the the speaker cable the amp and head were stacked together... and he mentioned the dying battery thing but also types of batteries .... I'm not sure about all those things but I do know with analog equipment I've had the same amp/guitar/pedal/cables in the same spot in my house, same temp, humidity, vloume etc.. and still have a different sound at times?? Butterfly Effect I guess :)

Maybe if Cliff adds a battery modeler to the Axe II EJ will join us :)

Playing around with the clip types and lowering the bias in the drive block should get you in the ballpark. Real pedals (specially fuzz) have a resistor that bias the clipping transistor, lowering the voltage reduce the bias.

Watched this (thanks!) and explored the uploader's web site, where I found (among other interesting things) an article with this quote:

"Myth: Digital audio sounds worse than analog, and the lack of digital's fidelity is revealed as a sterile and harsh sound that lacks warmth, depth, imaging, clarity, and any number of other vague and elusive descriptions.

Fact: Analog tape compresses dynamics and adds distortion, which can be a pleasing effect for many people (including me). But for pure faithfulness to the original signal, modern pro-quality digital wins hands down every time. It is true that when digital audio is recorded at too low a level, the result can sound grainy. This distortion is in addition to the hiss that an analog recording also has, and it is caused by using an insufficient number of bits. That is, recording at too low a level on a 16-bit system is similar to recording at a normal level on an 8-bit system.

Vintage analog synthesizers may sound "warmer" than current digital models, but only because of the distortion inherent in their design. That wonderful fatness is the result of pushing the analog VCF and VCA circuits to their limits, in an effort to obtain a usable signal to noise ratio. But there is no reason a modern sampling synth cannot reproduce, if not generate, those same sounds exactly if given a proper source signal.

Myth: Gold-plated connectors sound better than connectors made with tin or nickel.

Fact: Gold does not tarnish, and tarnished connectors can cause problems, but there is nothing inherent in gold that makes it sound better than a clean connection using standard materials. Further, it is possible for connections using dissimilar metals to oxidize and deteriorate more quickly than if the same metal were used. So, mating a gold plug with a non-gold jack could theoretically make things even worse! Moreover, connectors plated with gold often use a very thin coating because of gold's high cost, and that plating can wear off with repeated plugging and unplugging. Therefore, while it would be unfair and untrue to say that gold connectors are a bad thing, unless both connectors are gold they are at best a waste of money and at worst a potential for eventual trouble."

@s0c9 I would hope if EJ really perceives a difference in his head to cab speaker cable, that he (his tech) has changed the wire in the cab to a beefier gauge to his liking. I highly doubt he would overlook something like that based on his amazing ear (batteries really??)
You are probably correct - I was not speculating on the capability of his tech. I was stating that [IMHO] it is unlikely/improbable that a "normal" person can hear the difference over the distances involved - 2 to 4 feet of speaker cable (including the internal cab distances) tho' not saying EJ can't! Maybe the tech did change out the cabs internal wiring.. my point is that the average person would not notice a change (even with larger internal gauge wiring) over such small distances. There is no signal loss involved.

I dunno if were not allowed to recommend cables specifically, but monoprice.com has always been awesome for any cable ive needed. Even some decent analog audio cables...

+1 for monoprice. I laugh my ass off whenever I see $50 HDMI cables. They make GREAT stuff. I have an HDMI switcher with a remote, from monoprice and it's built like a tank.

I would have thought that FAS would include a decent quality USB cable with the AxeFX II. Eleven Rack does, POD HD does... what's up?

Guys, is USB...I mean..digital. You know? 0011101101010001101 and so for... The bus in the computer is buffered anyway, and at 480 kB/sec even if it looses a bit sometimes nothing is going to happen. At 48 kHz, 24 bit you need max 280 kB/sec. There is no difference between a 3$ cable and a 50$ one in this application, unless you want to take your laptop at gig and you want a more rugged cable

Well, not all cables are created equal in the case for digital signals traveling over copper the voltage ranges are from 0(0) to 5(1) volts. But there is a not allowed region say from 1 to 4 volts as an example, it really depends on chip types cmos, ttl ect for the range. Anything in that range gets ignored so if you have a poor cable that has too much voltage drop across it, say it goes below 4 volts the data could be lost causing aliasing, distortion, ect. So I wouldn't buy the cheep cables cause they will use an inferior (lots of impurities) copper to keep the cost down. I've seen these effects even over a short distance. I'm not saying to buy the $50 cable but I would stay away from the $3 special.

....ok....I stand corrected then. I've never experience anything like that with a number of USB audio equipment that I have, and I've never spent more than 6-7€ on a cable...but I take your word.

Playing around with the clip types and lowering the bias in the drive block should get you in the ballpark. Real pedals (specially fuzz) have a resistor that bias the clipping transistor, lowering the voltage reduce the bias.

right, but lowering the voltage at the collector of Q2 has a different effect than lowering the supplied voltage to the whole circuit.
I'd welcome a 'voltage' parameter for the drive blocks.

I really have to disagree with the statement that $20 will get you a quality cable and $2 will not. Quality and price do not go hand in hand.

I've had a ton of cables from monoprice. Cat6, SPDIF, Component, USB etc etc and not had any issues with any of them.

Maybe they sell in such quantities and the packaging is simple they can keep the price down and still provide quality.

I hope nobody things Monster Cables are quality because they cost more!!

Mark

monoprice ruuuuuuuuuuuuuules, my 15 and 25 foot xlr gold tips from them total 25 bucks and instant overnight shipping, too bad they have nothing to mate with at the moment

I actually put a bit more nitrogen in the air in my playing room for heavy sounds, and it bit more hydrogen for clean sounds;LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Back
Top Bottom