USB cable in the MCF-101 port...again

I've never done anything like this, but I'm going to put a spare RJ45 connector in there right now just in case.

EDIT: Heads up if you are going to do this; don't forget to crimp it first as it won't fit in with the pins sticking up.

Last edited:
A dummy plug is a good idea if you don't use the MFC jack on the Axe-FX, but if you do use it, it becomes something that's either neglected or forgotten as you set up and tear down.

Instead of a dummy plug, try a short male-to-female RJ-25 cable, or a short male-to-male cable with a pass-through connector on the end. That will make it much harder to mistake one jack for the other.

Or just leave your MFC cable permanently plugged into the Axe. That's where it lives when the MFC is in use, anyway.

Last edited:
I have a (nice bright white) USB cable permanently plugged in to the Axe so I'm not ever looking for one when I want to hook up to laptop - also feel that the USB socket is a little more robust than the ethernet port in design and less prone to stress by leaving a cable plugged in.

Wow crappy situation for all that have done this! If that jack didn't provide power to the MFC I bet it wouldn't even do any damage. Dummy plug is a great cheap solution. I reccomend building a patch bay. This way you have all of you I/O on the front of your rack and problem solved. Also, you can put in a different style USB plug as well (be careful B male end on the back of AxeFx and usually on the back of a D series panel connector! B to B male USB can be an expensive find. Imagine going to a gig with your rig already set up and then when the sound guy needs to hook you up you don't have to navigate through a dark rack!

Hmmm - I've just done the same thing and found these threads by searching.. I took the lid off mine trying to see where the smoke might have come from - and yep it's the mfc port so I guess I had my USB cable plugged into it - stupid mistake - was plugging without looking (I should organise my desk better - there's not much space behind my rack)..

Anyway - I got the burning smell/even saw a little smoke, display went green/blank, the unit seemed to fluctuate power a couple of times before I could turn it off (was probably on for 10 seconds)..

Here is the damage:
axefxblownmfc.jpg

I'll have to see what the Australian Distributers say, I emailed them today saying I've fried something (didn't realise what had happened until I started googling) - maybe they have a repair person local I can use (or maybe it's fine as is, I don't use an MFC and don't really plan on buying one at this stage, or selling my AxeFx)..

That looks pretty scary and real unlucky. Maybe that connection between AXE-2 and MFC101 could become a USB connection if it is possible, then I don't thing there would be the risk to get that kind of damage. USB should be OK to carry power and data although it is likely more prone to electrical interferences and might not be meant to be use in stage environment.

Last edited:
Quick safety pre-caution..... duct tape the darn port! ....... till you can find a dummy plug!

This a potential hazard even for the best of us.

Or just leave your MFC cable permanently plugged into the Axe. That's where it lives when the MFC is in use, anyway.

+1 Rex. I mounted my Axe II so that there is enough room under it for the 35 ft Cat5e cable I use to go to the MFC and it just stays plugged in there. If I am working in Axe Edit I unplug at the MFC end (sometimes having both Cat5 and USB cables plugged in induces weirdness in the computer).

I seem to remember Yek's rig was duct taped on the back to keep him from plugging in anywhere he wanted to avoid. Good, cheap insurance if proper fitting plugs aren't at hand. I didn't know it would toast the board like that, but there is power to drive the MFC in that plug. I would bet that is what is shorting to ground.

FRACTAL, Cliff / Matt,

This has now become a fully known potential user error, yielding tragic results every time. Typically for new users, leaving them bummed and you doing a repair every time. Bummer = Bummer situation here. This is an "Attractive Nuisance" so to speak. It is bound to keep happening and invites the occurrence due to similarity issues of these input jacks.
IMHO, and as a positive suggestion, I think it is time to responsibly ship all new units with a dummy plug installed. Raise the price three bucks if needed. But let's take care of this known, re-occurring problem once and for all, and help out our new users to avoid this bummer of an introductory experience with their Fractal Instrument! . If a guy pops out the dummy jack, then he owns it and the repair is at cost. Put a note attached to the dummy plug on a small piece of red paper. "Idiot Proof" this.
Just a humble suggestion for the equal good of all involved.
Peace!

EDIT: -> Oh yeah, You could also ship with a twin pack of Pop-Tarts in every box!:mrgreen

Not to be snarky but, don't attempt to assemble gear VIA braille. Actually looking where you are plugging something in is a good idea.

This can happen with a lot of different types of gear and I don't see other companies shipping out dummy plugs.

My Mesa cab has all it's ports blocked with a plastic plug except the 8ohm mono port so companies do put them in..

Quoted $450 to fix based on pics (+shipping), so I'll give the Axe another try when I get the chance and see if everything still functions.. If it's just the MFC port that's stuffed I can live with that (I don't have an MFC).

My cat also got hit by a car on the weekend and the VET bills for that are coming close to $3000 - expensive weekend :(

i just did this stupid mistake and was wondering if the usb cable used at this incident is no longer reliable? or could there be damage on the PC side like the usb port?
The likeliest damage is to the phantom power circuit on the Axe-Fx itself. It's not likely (although not impossible, either) that there's any other damage.

Hey, my axe fx looks exactly like that after the disaster. Can you please tell me how much it cots to get it repaired through Fractal?

FRACTAL, Cliff / Matt,

This has now become a fully known potential user error, yielding tragic results every time. Typically for new users, leaving them bummed and you doing a repair every time. Bummer = Bummer situation here. This is an "Attractive Nuisance" so to speak. It is bound to keep happening and invites the occurrence due to similarity issues of these input jacks.
IMHO, and as a positive suggestion, I think it is time to responsibly ship all new units with a dummy plug installed. Raise the price three bucks if needed. But let's take care of this known, re-occurring problem once and for all, and help out our new users to avoid this bummer of an introductory experience with their Fractal Instrument! . If a guy pops out the dummy jack, then he owns it and the repair is at cost. Put a note attached to the dummy plug on a small piece of red paper. "Idiot Proof" this.
Just a humble suggestion for the equal good of all involved.
Peace!

EDIT: -> Oh yeah, You could also ship with a twin pack of Pop-Tarts in every box!:mrgreen
The false plugging is not possible anymore on the newer FX2 and XL generations, as they have other expansion sockets. So this problem has been pretty much adressed already.

@TO:
If you don't want to sell your Axe again, then you shouldn't worry about it too much and just grab a MIDI cable instead to connect your foot controller.

Last edited:
The false plugging is not possible anymore on the newer FX2 and XL generations, as they have other expansion sockets. So this problem has been pretty much adressed already.

@TO:
If you don't want to sell your Axe again, then you shouldn't worry about it too much and just grab a MIDI cable instead to connect your foot controller.

On the XL, they still have the old connectors as well so that is not entirely correct, however, they have been moved away from each other.
The Ethercon connections do not stop you from plugging a usb cable in them.

Hmmm - I've just done the same thing and found these threads by searching.. I took the lid off mine trying to see where the smoke might have come from - and yep it's the mfc port so I guess I had my USB cable plugged into it - stupid mistake - was plugging without looking (I should organise my desk better - there's not much space behind my rack)..

Anyway - I got the burning smell/even saw a little smoke, display went green/blank, the unit seemed to fluctuate power a couple of times before I could turn it off (was probably on for 10 seconds)..

Here is the damage:
axefxblownmfc.jpg

I'll have to see what the Australian Distributers say, I emailed them today saying I've fried something (didn't realise what had happened until I started googling) - maybe they have a repair person local I can use (or maybe it's fine as is, I don't use an MFC and don't really plan on buying one at this stage, or selling my AxeFx)..

Hey man, do you mind if i ask you how much it cost you to get that fixed? Did you send it back to Fractal? The exact same thing happened to me and mine looks just like yours in the picture.

On the XL, they still have the old connectors as well so that is not entirely correct, however, they have been moved away from each other.
The Ethercon connections do not stop you from plugging a usb cable in them.
Didn't know that... Thanks for correction! ;)

Back
Top Bottom