USB buffer 8 samples - which DAW?

mcmurray

Inspired
I'd like to test some virtual instruments with the USB buffer size set to 8 samples (to minimise latency). I know the Axe FX III supports this buffer size, but in both Logic and Cubase the minimum buffer size available to select is 32 samples.

Anyone know of a DAW which supports an 8 sample buffer size?

Does the setting on the Axe FX III override the DAW setting?

I'm not referring to sample rate, I'm aware fs on the Axe is locked to 48khz and I set my DAW project accordingly to avoid any sample rate conversion.

I'm referring to the buffer size. Typically one would set the buffer size in the DAW and the audio interface would follow. With the Axe it's possible to have different settings in software and hardware, so I'm unsure which setting takes (for example it's possible to set the buffer size in the DAW to 32 samples, and set on the Axe to 8 samples, furthermore changing the buffer size in the DAW does not update the setting in the Axe).

Also, even though 8 samples is selectable on the Axe, I've tried a few DAWs and stand-alone virtual instruments, and in all cases the lowest buffer size I can set in software is 32 samples. I'd really like to try 8 samples to experiment with virtual instrument latency, wondering if that's even possible.

Last edited:
For least amount of Latency, set the Axe buffer for as low as it can go without causing any audible glitches and do the same with the DAW. They don't have to match since they are each doing their own processing independent of each other. Hence the reason for pointing out the difference between sample rate and buffer size.
Virtual Instruments have no bearing on the USB bus as they are processed 'In the box'; in other words by the computer, not from an outside source (other than being triggered by a midi keyboard).

Unlike the sample rate which does have to match.

Typically in a DAW, set low buffer for recording (to omit as much latency as possible) and high/er buffer for mixing. The quicker the computer read/write ability, the lower the buffer will need to be. I'll add here that SSD drives a far better than SATA hard drives for this type of computer performance boost.

Last edited:
For least amount of Latency, set the Axe buffer for as low as it can go without causing any glitches and do the same with the DAW. They don't have to match since they are each doing their own processing independent of each other.

If this is the case that answers my question, thanks. Didn't realise the two were independent of each other.

Cheers.

If this is the case that answers my question, thanks. Didn't realise the two were independent of each other.

Cheers.

Indeed a major factor for having a 'breakout' box such as the AxeFX is to relieve the computer of tasks it would otherwise have to do (outside of using it in a live situation). After all, there are plenty of software amp modelling programs out there. ;)

Back
Top Bottom