USB Audio

RAdkins

Hi,

Is there a way for me to monitor the USB audio output through my audio interface without having cables from the axe analog outs? I am using the audio outs for when I don't want to turn on my computer to play. I want to use the USB for recording to my DAW, but I need to be able to monitor the playback through my audio interface.

Thanks,
Ryan

Only if your audio card has a SPDIF input that can run at 48Khz. You'll need a proper spdif cable to make the link from the axe fx to your sound card. That way your audio stays digital till it get converted to analogue by you sound card.

You can create an aggregate audio device in OSX or use something like ASIO4ALL in Windows to combine the inputs and outputs of the Axe FX and your interface into one audio device.

Keep in mind that monitoring strictly through software will give you round trip latency, so depending on the performance of your DAW and system, the latency might kill the feel or be very distracting if it's too high. Direct hardware monitoring is always a better bet for live playing.

Not sure I read this correctly but I think you want an audio interface that works in standalone mode (ie without the pc on?) My focusrite 6i6 does this and as mentioned above I go SDPIF into the AI.

Check the specs of the AI you have/want to buy. MOTU would be one I'd look at if spending more perhaps.

thank you everyone for the helpful tips. It look like I need to have at least a physical connection from the axe to my audio interface. I currently have the motu m4 which unfortunately doesn’t have spdif. I will look at some different audio interface options.

Or...a cheap 4 channel(minimum) mixer to feed your monitors.
Channel 1 and 2 are from your interface/soundcard.
Channel 3 and 4 are for your Axe FX(Axe FX then becomes your recording and playback USB interface).
Caveat: you will need to change drivers in your software - either Axe FX driver or Motu Driver.
This works great for tracking and everything stays digital, only monitoring is analog.
You can probably find a used mixer on craigslist for $20-50?

Mackie Big Knob Passive??? Looks like it might be a good cach all, I'll investigate. Looks like it would be good for two souces and two sets of monitors and is passive/no power needed(it's a simple switch box with buttons and a volume dump knob, Unity at full on).

Last edited:
thank you everyone for the helpful tips. It look like I need to have at least a physical connection from the axe to my audio interface. I currently have the motu m4 which unfortunately doesn’t have spdif. I will look at some different audio interface options.

There's no need for SPDIF. Just run the audio from both sources (the computer and the AxeFX) into an inexpensive mixer. That way you can play computer audio without turning on the AxeFX and you can play through the AxeFX without turning on the computer.

Last edited:
I have a xl+ not an fm3, but thank you for the mixer as a suggestion. I hadn’t thought of that.

mr_fender's post is the correct answer...assuming you are playing through an audio application i.e. a DAW. You need a software pathway for the audio.
macOS: Create an aggregate or multi-output device in audio/MIDI setup;
WIN: Set I/O in ASIO4ALL

Back
Top Bottom