USB audio randomly distorted

mcmurray

Inspired
After a while when using my mac for music playback, the audio from the Axe will be horribly distorted (like a constant high pitch squeal). A power cycle of the Axe usually fixes it. When in this state playing guitar through the Axe sounds fine. I've experienced this on my machine before and after doing a full OS installation. Other USB interfaces do not have this problem.

It's a Mac Pro 2010 running Mojave. Before I go adding a PCI USB card to try that, does anyone have other suggestions on what I could try first?
Cheers.

My Axe III is producing this horrid high-amplitude distorted high frequency hash with such regularity that I can no longer use it as an audio interface. The buffer size setting has no effect. Nor does the buffer size in the DAW. The guitar tone is never effected, only audio playback from my computer. I've tried to put up with it, using a cheap Behringer USB audio interface for playback (or any other interface, as none of them exhibits the problem) whenever possible, but I just can't take it anymore. The visceral reaction of extreme anger every time it happens is taking a toll on my health. I'm afraid to press the space bar to start playback, knowing I'm playing Russian Roulette with my ears, speakers, and sanity.

It's done it since day one. I always assumed it was something else, but I've eliminated all other possibilities. I've tried four different computers, new cables, power outlets, ground loop isolators, different DAWs, simple Windows audio, Media Player, Youtube, Cantabile, etc. The III is the only common element.

It can't be a universal problem with every unit, or else it would be posted about every day. I don't know what to do other than to sell my Axe. I'm at the end of my rope.

@steadystate

Perhaps let support try to fix you unit? I own three of the AF3 currently, and I’ve never experienced what you describe. Best of luck, Lee

@steadystate

Perhaps let support try to fix you unit? I own three of the AF3 currently, and I’ve never experienced what you describe. Best of luck, Lee
It's out of warranty. I'd have to pay for shipping both ways, bench time, and the cost of whatever parts needed replacement. This, assuming they could find the problem. A cost-effective resolution seems doubtful.

I should have sent it back when I first received it. I thought the problem was caused by my UAD-2 Octos at first, as I bought them when I bought the III. Then I thought it was Superior Drummer 3. As I wasn't reamping at the time, I was mainly using a different audio interface for general use. By the time I started reamping and figured out that the issue only occurred with the Axe, it was too late.

Last edited:
My Axe III is producing this horrid high-amplitude distorted high frequency hash with such regularity that I can no longer use it as an audio interface. The buffer size setting has no effect. Nor does the buffer size in the DAW. The guitar tone is never effected, only audio playback from my computer. I've tried to put up with it, using a cheap Behringer USB audio interface for playback (or any other interface, as none of them exhibits the problem) whenever possible, but I just can't take it anymore. The visceral reaction of extreme anger every time it happens is taking a toll on my health. I'm afraid to press the space bar to start playback, knowing I'm playing Russian Roulette with my ears, speakers, and sanity.

It's done it since day one. I always assumed it was something else, but I've eliminated all other possibilities. I've tried four different computers, new cables, power outlets, ground loop isolators, different DAWs, simple Windows audio, Media Player, Youtube, Cantabile, etc. The III is the only common element.

It can't be a universal problem with every unit, or else it would be posted about every day. I don't know what to do other than to sell my Axe. I'm at the end of my rope.
I had a similar issue with my Allen&Heath USB mixer before getting the Axe. I've tried absolutely everything just as yourself, was just as angry and stunned at how such a popular product has this terrible ASIO drivers and I almost gave up. However, setting my Power Plan in Windows (assuming you're on Windows) to High Performance suddenly solved the random digital noise/crackling/popping. You can set it up like this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2843-change-power-plan-settings-windows-10-a.html
Hopefully it will work for you, too.

I had a similar issue with my Allen&Heath USB mixer before getting the Axe. I've tried absolutely everything just as yourself, was just as angry and stunned at how such a popular product has this terrible ASIO drivers and I almost gave up. However, setting my Power Plan in Windows (assuming you're on Windows) to High Performance suddenly solved the random digital noise/crackling/popping. You can set it up like this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2843-change-power-plan-settings-windows-10-a.html
Hopefully it will work for you, too.
Thanks for the suggestion. I always have my power plan fine-tuned for maximum performance. I'm open to any and all suggestions, but I'm convinced it's a hardware issue.

It's out of warranty. I'd have to pay for shipping both ways, bench time, and the cost of whatever parts needed replacement. This, assuming they could find the problem. A cost-effective resolution seems doubtful.

I should have sent it back when I first received it. I thought the problem was caused by my UAD-2 Octos at first, as I bought them when I bought the III. Then I thought it was Superior Drummer 3. As I wasn't reamping at the time, I was mainly using a different audio interface for general use. By the time I started reamping and figured out that the issue only occurred with the Axe, it was too late.
I totally understand. I’ve had an AxeFX since my Ultra was new, and I’ve been so stoked at the sound and capabilities (for me), that I would at least give the repair angle a try. Perhaps you can call in advance of shipping and either get a feel for what could be involved, or what parts/boards might be involved. Maybe even set up a max $$ limit that you could live with, so they wouldn’t go beyond said price. I know this time of year we are usually counting our pennies, but I do hope it could work for you. Best of luck whichever way you go. Happy holidays, Lee

Thanks for the suggestion. I always have my power plan fine-tuned for maximum performance. I'm open to any and all suggestions, but I'm convinced it's a hardware issue.
You're welcome.
I think you should also look into the BIOS of your PC and check if there are any power saving or power related options available.
Also, do you maybe have any chance you could hook your Axe 3 up to another PC and see what happens? That would be pretty conclusive IMO.

Have you tried eliminating the Fractal as an interface altogether? If you have another interface, even a sub 100 dollar one, you may be able to recreate the problem and rule out the Fractal being faulty.

Maybe you already tried this but, since you haven't mentioned it in your post and assuming you're on Windows, I'll suggest it anyway: did you try to update the axe fx asio drivers? The latest one came out this month

I had this issue when I first got my Axe, turned out to be a dying usb port. I switched to another and it's been rock solid ever since.

If your Axefx interface is defined into any aggregate devices on Mac, try removing these and/or redefining them as this has been an issue for me in the past but not recently.

You're welcome.
I think you should also look into the BIOS of your PC and check if there are any power saving or power related options available.
Also, do you maybe have any chance you could hook your Axe 3 up to another PC and see what happens? That would be pretty conclusive IMO.
I always disable all power saving features, including BIOS and registry settings
I had this issue when I first got my Axe, turned out to be a dying usb port. I switched to another and it's been rock solid ever since.
I've tried four different PCs, including each port on each PC. New USB cables as well.
If your Axefx interface is defined into any aggregate devices on Mac, try removing these and/or redefining them as this has been an issue for me in the past but not recently.
Using PC.
Have you tried eliminating the Fractal as an interface altogether? If you have another interface, even a sub 100 dollar one, you may be able to recreate the problem and rule out the Fractal being faulty.
I've used different USB audio interfaces (from Behringer, Lexicon, Focusrite) for months at a time. None of them had the problem. Only the Axe III, and never with the processed guitar output (only playback audio). All conditions were identical except the interface used.
Maybe you already tried this but, since you haven't mentioned it in your post and assuming you're on Windows, I'll suggest it anyway: did you try to update the axe fx asio drivers? The latest one came out this month
This I have NOT yet done. I will do this today. Not optimistic, but thanks.
Edit: Just installed the latest. Will try today.

It sounds similar to post #8 in the following thread, but the audio is even more distorted in my case, although the amount of distortion and "hash" noise vary each time it happens.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ant-figure-it-out-high-pitched-squeal.154498/

As in this person's case, changing the buffer "seems" to help temporarily, but it is an illusion, even if the cable is detached each time the size is changed. The problem returns, either on the following playback, or perhaps the 50th down the road. The USB buffer meter is near center.

It sounds similar to post #8 in the following thread, but the audio is even more distorted in my case, although the amount of distortion and "hash" noise vary each time it happens.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ant-figure-it-out-high-pitched-squeal.154498/

As in this person's case, changing the buffer "seems" to help temporarily, but it is an illusion, even if the cable is detached each time the size is changed. The problem returns, either on the following playback, or perhaps the 50th down the road. The USB buffer meter is near center.
I have actually been having this "glitchy audio" problem as well. I thought it was Melodyne causing it...

If I stop playback it typically works fine on the next play.

@steadystate -- This reminds me, but don't you also have the unstable reamp offset issue as well? This is pure speculation, but I wonder if some units just have USB hardware issues?

Last edited:
This reminds me, but don't you also have the unstable reamp offset issue as well? This is pure speculation, but I wonder if some units just have USB hardware issues?
Yep. I've always assumed it was a Reaper 6 issue. Never seemed to notice it in Reaper 5.

Yep. I've always assumed it was a Reaper 6 issue. Never seemed to notice it in Reaper 5.
The unstable reamp offset has been reported across multiple DAWS (I've personally tested the both Reaper 5 and 6.) Not everyone seems to experience it, though...(which is what makes me wonder if maybe only some Axe-FX's exhibit these issues)

My Mk2 at my home studio exhibits both the "high pitch/glitchy audio" and "unstable reamp offset" problems. Unfortunately my other Axe-FX III (mk1) is stuck in a rack at my practice space, so I haven't been able to test my "maybe it's an hardware issue?" theory.

Back
Top Bottom