USB audio randomly distorted

Maybe you already tried this but, since you haven't mentioned it in your post and assuming you're on Windows, I'll suggest it anyway: did you try to update the axe fx asio drivers? The latest one came out this month
I installed the latest and just tried it out. On the first playback attempt, the audio played back fine.....for about 10 seconds. It then became distorted with high frequency high amplitude trash during playback of Youtube audio. Buffer was set to 16 samples.

After increasing the buffer to 256, Youtube audio is playing back without issue....so far. I will continue to test it to see if it is stable above a particular buffer setting, and if it works with a DAW loaded with tracks. Too soon to tell.

Switched to my Behringer interface...no issues at all even with a buffer of 8 samples without safe mode. Cant get the problem to happen no matter how hard I try under any conditions using a Youtube stream. If I load up a DAW with tracks and plugins, I'll get stuttering and popping at low buffer settings, but never this horrible loud grinding high frequency distortion.

Last edited:
I wanted to post about this myself but wanted to make sure it was a thing first.

I have experienced my guitar audio turning into screeching noise (please, don't pick the low-hanging fruit, I'm walking right into that one out of trust ;)) and it even once happened when I was tracking last night. I powered through it because it was near the end of he take. When I listened back to what my DAW recorded via USB it was fine (although I am getting some popping/dropouts that are not CPU related).

I will check my cabling and then the buffer sizes, but the problem is a) recent for me, first noticing it on 18.03 and b) intermittent and not reliably reproducible.

I'll be watching with interest and will of course share with the class if something changes on my unit.

Maybe you already tried this but, since you haven't mentioned it in your post and assuming you're on Windows, I'll suggest it anyway: did you try to update the axe fx asio drivers? The latest one came out this month
I've been using this driver for about a week now, and the problem persists. The buffer setting does not matter. I can't use my Axe III as an audio interface.

I do not know if this is an issue in the same universe... but I just had a hair-pulling issue with my DAW where anything I recorded had a terrible 'digital rip' . I am using an interface besides the Axe for audio...but the axe usb driver is registered and up in windows.

As I monitored the signal/sound going in, it was fine. On playback it was fucking distorted hell. Obviously a digital thing. It kinda sounded like a clock issue. If you've ever recorded a digital signal to another digi device with the clock source wrong...you'd recognize it.

Anyway... I solved it by removing a USB (3) hub...and a USB extension cable to the Axe. I know you've said you've replaced cables and again...this may not be any way related.

One other symptom I noticed...was that Axe-Edit would show 'disconnected' briefly and my DAW would complain about AXEFX midi device being disconnected/reconnected.

Dunno if helpful, but chiming in to say that sometimes it's a least expected culprit.

I do not know if this is an issue in the same universe... but I just had a hair-pulling issue with my DAW where anything I recorded had a terrible 'digital rip' . I am using an interface besides the Axe for audio...but the axe usb driver is registered and up in windows.

As I monitored the signal/sound going in, it was fine. On playback it was fucking distorted hell. Obviously a digital thing. It kinda sounded like a clock issue. If you've ever recorded a digital signal to another digi device with the clock source wrong...you'd recognize it.

Anyway... I solved it by removing a USB (3) hub...and a USB extension cable to the Axe. I know you've said you've replaced cables and again...this may not be any way related.

One other symptom I noticed...was that Axe-Edit would show 'disconnected' briefly and my DAW would complain about AXEFX midi device being disconnected/reconnected.

Dunno if helpful, but chiming in to say that sometimes it's a least expected culprit.
Thanks. I appreciate any and all suggestions. The DAW I use doesn't matter, and the Axe is not going through a hub. I've never experienced a disconnect issue. I'll try anything at this point and still welcome all suggestions. I might contact support just to see what the cost will be. I'm only concerned that they won't be able to replicate the problem, as it sometimes requires an hour or so of use before it manifests. But I paid $$2,499.99 for a MK1, so if I go the sell route, I still lose a lot of money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom