USB audio out - PC-in - Headphones

sale

As I understand, the AX8 does not send audio over USB.
  1. is that limited by a missing hardware component or
  2. is that an intentionally missing function of the software to set it apart from Big-AXE ?
(my old Boss BR-80 simply plugs into my PC via USB for practice)

Reason is.. I like to practice at home using headphones connected to my laptop (Surface Pro 3). So I can play along to mp3, video etc... on my Surface

In an ideal world, this would be AX8 -> USB-> PC with sound from AX8 mixed with PC-Sound over Headphones connected to PC .... AND PC <- USB -> AX8 for AXE-Edit

Can this be done - theoretically - maybe as a wish for a software release ??

It's a hardware limitation.

You could go the other way. PC -> AX8 FX return-> headphone amplifier -> headphones

The headphone amplifier could be the cheapest Behringer mixer,You can find. Then you could also run the PC to the mixed. That would be easier to set up.

I really hope both of these functions are included in the next iteration of the AX8. I would spend more for the convenience of being able to plug in and practice with just an AX8 and headphones.

Maybe now that Fractal has proved to themselves a device like this will sell they will consider it. I often wonder with so much history of multi effects pedals how they missed the boat on those two functions. My best guess is that they had done the math on a magic price point and needed to omit those two things to put out a quality product at such a low price. I would find it very hard to believe that they thought users wouldn't care about USB audio or a headphone jack - FAS is smarter than that.

It's made for live use. I don't care for either of those two things. Also, in this day, I don't understand, why a musician doesn't already own an audio interface.

I agree and I can say that even if the unit has it I would prefer to use an external / dedicated preamp and DAC, and also one that I can upgrade by itself (for example if USB becomes obsolete and now everything is USB-C, like the old firewire stuff).

But the Axe FX is designed to be the end all be all amp modeller to suit all purposes, so naturally, it has almost everything. AX8 is designed to be a cost-effective live tool, so all non-live functions are omitted.

But the Axe FX is designed to be the end all be all amp modeller to suit all purposes, so naturally, it has almost everything. AX8 is designed to be a cost-effective live tool, so all non-live functions are omitted.

Would love to see how many people are running AX8 spdif outs in a live venue.

Fractal missed no boats, this was also not a dip in the water to see if an item would do well. They made some choices to separate the Ax from the Axe. It was strategy. If we compile a list of all the wishes that people want siting they would pay a little extra for basically folks want an Axe in an all in one flood board. Trust me there are things on Axe I would love to have but I knew somethings had to be omitted.

Would love to see how many people are running AX8 spdif outs in a live venue.
That is probably a rarity. But still, more and more instruments are becoming digital, most mixers are already digital, it is quite possible that we will start swing more and more spdif inputs on mixers in the future.

It's not like I don't think, there's room for improvement. I think the screen is waaay too small to be viewed from a standing position. Color would really help as well in order to get a fast overview. The ability to name footswitch blocks is also missing. These would all be of great value at a live venue, and only the last part could be firmware implemented.

Back
Top Bottom