USB audio levels low in OSX

aleclee

Power User
Just got a new Mac today and played with recording in Garageband. I get audio just fine but the levels are very low. Unfortunately, GB wants the input levels to be managed by the driver. Does anyone have a workaround or is this one for the wish list?

yep mine as well, i just ended up turning up my monitors, looking forward to the response on this one...

I've had this problem with my macs on EVERY interface. That is until I tried a separate instrument input or a Metric Halo interface. I still am getting a somewhat low input level from a brand new Duet II. YMMV.

my guitar sounds are usually quiet and the computer playback or itunes, etc. is usually way too loud! not sure what to do, but i just have to remember to turn down itunes when i practice.

i think it's because whatever protocol the mac uses when the axe is the output, it turns the mac volume to max. i usually have mine around 1/4 and adjust my speakers from there. but with the computer sounds all the way up, it's too loud for the axe fx.

Last edited:
It may not be the right way to do this, but I boost the signal using Boost/Pad in the I/O menu.
Just don't forget to turn it down again when disconnecting from USB.

my guitar sounds are usually quiet and the computer playback or itunes, etc. is usually way too loud! not sure what to do, but i just have to remember to turn down itunes when i practice.

i think it's because whatever protocol the mac uses when the axe is the output, it turns the mac volume to max. i usually have mine around 1/4 and adjust my speakers from there. but with the computer sounds all the way up, it's too loud for the axe fx.

I have the same issue, when playing a backing track from iTunes, the level is too loud and I cannot control the volume, it's set to the maximum and there is no way to turn it down on the computer.

The level of the output is managed basicly in 3 points:
1st the globle output level (use the main gain in the eq menu or the over all gain in the first page)
2nd dirctly in your chain ( use the level of you amp to get higher output)
3rd cheack your input ( low inputs can give head scratchers)

my 2 cents....

ROCK ON!!!!!!!

Hmm. My Outputs offer me nice levels except when I want to record DI-Tracks.. It's a very very low level. Is this normal?

Cheers

Hmm. My Outputs offer me nice levels except when I want to record DI-Tracks.. It's a very very low level. Is this normal?
I'm guessing you're fine. DI tracks are supposed to be the signal from your guitar without any compression / gain from effects or amps, so yes, they are normally quite a bit more quiet.

The level of the output is managed basicly in 3 points:
1st the globle output level (use the main gain in the eq menu or the over all gain in the first page)
2nd dirctly in your chain ( use the level of you amp to get higher output)
3rd cheack your input ( low inputs can give head scratchers)

my 2 cents....

ROCK ON!!!!!!!
All true. But my volume levels are "optimized", meaning they don't clip. When I turn up any of those things to compensate for a very loud computer signal, they will clip. So it's not the axe volume that needs to change, but either the computer level (uncontrollable) or the computer's perception of the axe output.

Perception. Weird.

I have this problem with my Focusrite interface aswell. Only solution I've found is turning down backing tracks/itunes etc volume and turning up my input in Logic.

It may not be the right way to do this, but I boost the signal using Boost/Pad in the I/O menu.
Just don't forget to turn it down again when disconnecting from USB.

This is what I've been doing to avoid having to tweak patch and global settings. Not very elegant at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom