USB audio issue (Mac OS X)

Pankookis

Hi all!

Recently started using my Axe-FX II at home since my old band went separate ways. I never used the Axe-FX as a "sound card" before but now I'm using it to play backing tracks etc thru my FRFR.

I have a weird issue though that might already been answered but it was hard to pick some keywords for my Google searches.

Can't say for certain but I believe this only occurs when I'm either booting the Axe-FX or connect the cable, not if everything's been powered on and connected all day.

My problem is that sometimes when I power on my Axe-FX, I can play guitar thru it. But when I start some audio from my Mac, whether it's from Spotify, Youtube or Logic, the audio "lags" and it's choppy or what you can call it. The solution to the problem is to close every program that can output audio and then everything is back to normal. So if it lags, I have to close Spotify, Chrome, Logic, Guitar Pro and maybe VLC or whatever might be opened. If I then open Spotify, it works as usual.

Is this a known issue or is it just me? I've tried reinstalling the drivers but it persists. My computer is old and barely works so it wouldn't surprise me that it's the culprit.

Mac OSX El Capitan

Thanks

Try making an "aggregate" device in sound manager.
Add the axe fx and choose it for recording and playback.

OSX may be choosing the onboard sound card as playback when the AXE isn't powered on?

Try making an "aggregate" device in sound manager.
Add the axe fx and choose it for recording and playback.

OSX may be choosing the onboard sound card as playback when the AXE isn't powered on?

The Axe-FX is chosen in the sound manager. The sound is still coming thru the Axe-FX, but it sounds choppy. Don't know if it maybe has something to do with the sample rate. It's like I have to reset the audio on my Mac by closing every app that "hogs" the audio. Since the Axe is 48000 and I guess the computer uses 44100, maybe there's some clash in the audio.

When it happens try going into system preferences and change the device back to default and then switch back to the axe. Might be an easier way to reset things than closing all your software.

I have to unplug the USB that connects my Mac Pro to the AXE FX, and plug back in. My case it's usually an iPod when this happens.

It makes a stutter when trying to play backing tracks from my external audio source that is plugged into my Mac pro. Mac Pro is plugged into my AXE II with a USB cable, also the iPod is plugged into the Mac Pro with a USB. Unplug, and plug in seems to resolve my issues.

I've had the same problem using Garageband and the Axe 2 as sound card. It happens when I shut down the Axe2 and leave the computer running. When turning the Axe2 back on I get the studdering. Restarting Garageband fixes it.

I've been having the same (or similar) problem for months as well (also on latest Mac OS). Frequently (but not uniformly) when I'm connected to Axe-Fx III via USB any sound or video (e.g., iTunes, YouTube, Wondershare (playing videos downloaded from YouTube) will cease to progress until I disconnect from Axe. I have to restart my MacBook and power-cycle the Axe as well (a variable number of times) to restore full function of the USB interaction. Mind you I've been using Fractal devices with Apple computers for 10 years now (as of Christmas) and this is a relatively new problem.

Back
Top Bottom