USB Audio interface and microphone advise

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Greetings Fellows,
In the times of lockdown or semi lockdown and impossible international travels I am looking for an USB audio interface and microphone for my gf. Basically so we can work together on some tunes.
Dont need the best high end stuff but something decent in the middle of quality and price and easy to use (interface). For microphone only thing I know is Shure SM58 but perhaps there is something more suitable for just vocal recordings at home.

All suggestions welcomed

I'd strongly recommend something like one of those zoom portable recorders - it's an interface, microphone, multitrack recorder that literally fits in your pocket - can't go wrong for the price!

Most pros have one, and it's pretty much accepted as the industry standard for video audio now, so you've heard more of it than you might realize.

It's also good too that you can connect your own mics or additional modules - so if you have a fancy $2000 mic you wanna use, just plug it in!

I've ben using these for YEARS now and they are super easy to use, and too much of a great Swiss army knife of audio to not get one

Check the h6, h4n or the new h8 - LOTS of expansion too if you need it - hell you can record a whole drum kit into the h8 🤣

Thanks, didnt think of that direction at first. Have been checking them out before, just for live recording but didnt think of them as an interface

Yeah I used to be a big presonus fan myself, they generally have great bang for the buck and studio one is an excellent DAW!

If you are looking at Mac interfaces as well, apogee makes great stuff that can't be beat in its price range and stuff like the apogee one give you practically everything you need with a Mac to have a good portable setup

My home studio is down due to some water damage we had in the house earlier in the year and haven't had a chance to fix due to COVID. I did have a guitar in the house and came up with some new song ideas. I am using our home laptop along with Reaper and recently bought an Audient id14.

I had some stems for a drum track (Superior Drummer) and bass track (Trillian) and wanted to add some guitar tracks and hooked up my Axe-FX II XL+ into the id14. Later I wanted to layer in an acoustic/electric track and used the DI input on the id14. Happy with the quality and the id14 is easy to use. I am just monitoring with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms) headphones.

I did have an issue earlier on recording but I believe it has more to do with the home laptop (Dell / Win10) that is not optimized for recording. I just adjusted the ASIO buffer size on the id14 (started at 64 samples and ended up at 256) and that seemed to eliminate the issue.

Overall really happy with the purchase.

Thanks guys, its probably the scarlett bundle (sort of beginner/lower end I guess) or Zoom H5 or 6 with some add ons. H8 seems abit overkill right now

Back
Top Bottom