USB audio drop outs ...

Axe edit 3 has been crashing my pro tools on when it was on my avid HD native card. Then after avid recommended computer optimizations it was no longer crashing it but it was still making it not respond when I was closing sessions then trying to exit pro tools so had to ctrl alt delete tasks. Is this a known issue?
Right now I just got an HDX card and I just haven't been using axe edit 3 on this machine because I just want glitch free operation. But does anyone know is this a known issue to screw up pro tools? Assuming fractal is not fond of avid for this reason?

I will add that I have observed audio dropouts as well. I'm using a Windows 10 PC with the 1.14 USB firmware. My audio just stops and I have to unplug and plug in the USB cable again to get it working again.

I downgraded from v 1.14 to v 1.11 and it has been much more stable. I am still getting drop outs, they are just far less frequent. Instead of every couple of songs it is like an hour or 2. Running a MacBook Pro and Monterrey 12.4 connected with a cable that has USB C to USB B.

Last edited:
I'm on windows 11 and since firmware 20.00 I started having the same issue. Audio randomly cuts off until I restart the axe fx 3 (mkII, not turbo).
Issue with usb firmaware 1.10 and 1.14

Last edited:
Have the same issue on Windows 10, but in my case it seems to be caused by problems in the electrical network. Sometimes sound may drop out when compressor in air conditioner starts.

Same here. I switched on my desk lamp and..gone was sound.

I downgraded from v 1.14 to v 1.11 and it has been much more stable. I am still getting drop outs, they are just far less frequent. Instead of every couple of songs it is like an hour or 2. Running a MacBook Pro and Monterrey 12.4 connected with a cable that has USB C to USB B.
Did you try to set higher buffer in the Fractal driver icon in the systray?

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm currently trying to reproduce these USB audio playback issues some of you have reported. What would be helpful is if someone on Windows (ideally Windows 10 just because that is what my development machine is running) who can reproduce this issue repeatedly can distill this into a list of steps to that causes the issue every time. I know this might be difficult since issues like these appear to be random, but otherwise I'm just kinda shooting in the dark.

Right now, I'm just listening to music on the heapdhone out in my DAW using ASIO. It's been about 30 minutes so far of playback without any issue and switching/stopping/restarting tracks haven't caused any issues yet.

In the meantime, here are some general tips I can advise that may or may not help. I know some of you may have already tried some or all of these, regardless it would be good to know what helped/didn't help:
  • Test with your AXE FX III as the only USB device (if possible) connected directly to your computer without any hubs or docks in between. Try to eliminate USB devices that are not required for basic usb playback operation of your AXE FX III in your DAW.
  • Verify you have version 5.30 of the AXE FX III ASIO driver.
  • Increase the buffer size setting in your DAW to a large value and work your way down to smaller values to see when/if any usb audio issues arise.
  • Close any other applications that are running in the foreground and background besides your DAW
  • Test on a different computer, if possible.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom