USB audio drop outs ...

jimmynorrisjr

Experienced
I am probably doing something wrong, since I'm still fairly new to FAS. I am running a macbook pro on Monterrey v 12.4 from a USBc to USB B cable straight into my Axe-fx III turbo, which is running 20.03 release and usb firmware 1.14. I get sound as expected for what seems to be a random period of time, then it just stops. I have to reboot the axe to get it back. Anyone else having this issue?

Yep. On windows. I sometimes have backing tracks or whatever going. It sometimes just stops but always after a pause or when starting a new track. Never mid-track if memory serves correctly.

Yes. Have had this happen here as well. First i thought it was some problem with my dinosaur Mac. (High Sierra, and can't upgrade it further) But after searching the forum and reading about it I see I see that it happens with windows users as well. The other guitarist in my band does not have this issue with his unit, he is running windows. What is weird is that axe edit still works, and I got the guitar sound running on the physical outs, but the sound disappears from the computer. The only fix I got is the same as you. Reboot the axe, then it's fine again.

I am currently on FW 20.02 because I had a gig this weekend and did not want to tweak all the presets after updating. The axe was fine during the gig. Had a blast and really good guitar sound, but then again the problem is not with the physical outs of the unit. It seems to be the USB that shuts down for some reason. Witch is kind of annoying when tracking guitar or mixing. Hoping there will be a fix for this issue. But I get that it's not that easy fixing problems that happens with different computers, there are a lot of factors witch is way beyond my knowledge. I just cross my fingers🤞

Still I think the axe is worth every penny. Sounds amazing!

While on the topic of computers, I am on a waiting list for the FM9, but also considering an AXF III. I do not have a home computer, and was planning on getting a laptop when I receive my Fractal.

Does anyone know if I would be better off getting Windows 10 installed or Windows 11, and how powerful of a computer will I need if all I am going to use it for is going on youtube to see tutorials and running the edit software to work my Fractal, please?

Also would I be better off with a Mac Air, or Windows based laptop?

Thank you for your advice.

I am probably doing something wrong, since I'm still fairly new to FAS. I am running a macbook pro on Monterrey v 12.4 from a USBc to USB B cable straight into my Axe-fx III turbo, which is running 20.03 release and usb firmware 1.14. I get sound as expected for what seems to be a random period of time, then it just stops. I have to reboot the axe to get it back. Anyone else having this issue?
Hi Jimmy,

This error also occurred with my AXE FX3. Sometimes also with other USB audio devices. I investigated my studio and found that a cheap LED light in an adjoining room was the cause.
The switch was acting as a control switch, so to speak. As soon as the light was turned off, the audio signal dropped out and the unit had to be restarted.
My knowledge of electronics is rudimentary, but I suspected EMI problems. Possibly the USB controller crashed due to induced voltage in the USB cable. But what do I know ;-).

First I checked my cable paths and found a disaster ;-).
Then I neatly bundled the power and data cables and tried to cross them at a 90 degree angle.
I put two ferrite cores in the USB cable of the AXE FX3.
You can call it "German thoroughness", but I also added ferrite cores to the other USB cables and all the power cables.
After about 2 hours of work, I had perfect cable runs and my "LED CONTROL SWITCH" thankfully stopped working. Nevertheless, I disposed of this light.

Reactions: J.C
While on the topic of computers, I am on a waiting list for the FM9, but also considering an AXF III. I do not have a home computer, and was planning on getting a laptop when I receive my Fractal.

Does anyone know if I would be better off getting Windows 10 installed or Windows 11, and how powerful of a computer will I need if all I am going to use it for is going on youtube to see tutorials and running the edit software to work my Fractal, please?

Also would I be better off with a Mac Air, or Windows based laptop?

Thank you for your advice.

Any $150-$200 windows laptop on amazon will be more than capable of performing these basic tasks. I love Apple stuff but even the entry level Macbook Air or Mac Mini are overkill for the functions you mentioned. Windows 10 or 11 will both work fine but you might as well go with 11 since it’s the latest release.

Any $150-$200 windows laptop on amazon will be more than capable of performing these basic tasks. I love Apple stuff but even the entry level Macbook Air or Mac Mini are overkill for the functions you mentioned. Windows 10 or 11 will both work fine but you might as well go with 11 since it’s the latest release.
Sounds like Windows users are experiencing the same issue.

Maybe it's my fingers who touch things then?? 😂
By no means an expert here. But I can say that I got so many issues with apple that I am going back to windows after this computer dies.

I have experienced the same issue on my MBP 14" as I've reported here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-firmware-v-1-14-release.185295/post-2287331

I am working on trying to isolate the cause. One hypothesis is that the USB bus is overloaded. I've definitely noticed that the drop outs typically occur between playing music or switching songs. My issue only happens when I connect my axe to my Caldigit TS4 dock.

I also had a program called SoundSource https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/ that I had installed that I think was making the problem even worse. Since uninstalling the problem hasn't gone away but it's happening less frequently.

The only way I've had it my Axe work 100% of the time is when I connect it directly to my MBP using a USB>USB-C converter. I've tried multiple USB cables but that hasn't made a difference.

I'm on windows 10 and since updating to the latest usb firmware I started having the same issue. Audio randomly cuts off until I plug in the USB again.

I'm on windows 10 and since updating to the latest usb firmware I started having the same issue. Audio randomly cuts off until I plug in the USB again.
My issues actually improved with the the latest firmware. Are you connecting directly to your windows machine or going through a dock or hub?

My studio computer is running Windows 10 and I have been having this issue since 1.10 of the USB Firmware. I even switched from using Pro Tools because of the Axe Edit crashing pro tools issue, to Studio one, which has much better stability. I still have Pro Tools, but only use it if I am not using the AX3 or Axe Edit for any sessions I am sent to mix. I can start playing a session in Studio one and sometimes no issue and sometimes after 30 seconds to just over a min. no audio. It happens when recording as well some times. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it (yes I have done all the typical checking, even doing stack traces and forcing cores). And no I do not plug the AX3 into a hub, only my trackball, ILock, and the USB connection to manage my Antelope Orion 32 (only used to control I/O, since it is Madi connected) are connected to my USB hub on a totally different USB controller.

James

Have the same issue on Windows 10, but in my case it seems to be caused by problems in the electrical network. Sometimes sound may drop out when compressor in air conditioner starts.

there are several threads on this issue. in most cases powering everything through a power conditioner will solve it. a power conditioner - e.g. a Furmann - filters out transients - spikes - caused by (switching) electronics in lights, vacuum cleaners and so on. these spikes often crashes/freezes usb-ports on windows and ios devices alike. also by connecting everything to the power conditioner you prevent earth loops which work as antennas for those transients by creating a star shape powering circuit. for me, this did the trick.

Thank you for replying. :)
Stephen

there are several threads on this issue. in most cases powering everything through a power conditioner will solve it. a power conditioner - e.g. a Furmann - filters out transients - spikes - caused by (switching) electronics in lights, vacuum cleaners and so on. these spikes often crashes/freezes usb-ports on windows and ios devices alike. also by connecting everything to the power conditioner you prevent earth loops which work as antennas for those transients by creating a star shape powering circuit. for me, this did the trick.
I have a Furman line conditioner in front of my both Axe and Macbook pro but unfortunately that hasn't helped my specific case. I had the same thought though.

I have a Furman line conditioner in front of my both Axe and Macbook pro but unfortunately that hasn't helped my specific case. I had the same thought though.
that's a pity. for me the problem was resolved with an earlier usb software and usb firmware update in combination with the furmann and didn't return with recent updates. hope it will work out for you all

Last edited:
I am powering via a furman pr1800 and ar1800, so that is not it for me.

Back
Top Bottom