USB audio crapping out

Hey folks,

I've got my Axe FX XLhooked up to a iMac via the standard USB. Studio monitors connected to Output 1 of the Axe FX. Pretty simple setup. Occasionally, the audio just goes completely bonkers. For example, any audio files that I'm playing (songs etc) on my iMac (Spotify, Ableton) either don't play at all, or I hear gibberish. This has happened both when I boot my Axe FX, or after it's been working fine for a while. I usually have to reset my Axe FX and everything works fine again.

This has started happening lately, which leads me to believe it may be related to a recent Axe FX update. The USB audio stream is going "bad" for some reason.. anyone else experiencing this, and if so, any solutions (other than resetting the Axe FX?).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Chris, my firmware is Quantum 1.00 Sep 16, 2015. My usb cable is about 4 ft long, and it's the same cable that I've been using for a long time now with no issues. I guess I'll try upgrading to Quantum 1.06. I'm almost positive this is a new issue introduced with Quantum 1.00, and hopefully it's been addressed in Quantum 1.06

PS: BTW, I got my model wrong - I have a XL (no idea why I mentioned II earlier).
I like your tutorials, btw!

I have experienced similar issues. I'll be playing music through the Axe (iTunes - USB - Axe - CLR) and get crackles that increase over time. Same thing when I pump Logic X through it.

I presume I'm running into some sort of buffering issue with my MacBook Pro (latest OS, but it's a 17' 2011 model.) I'm pretty convinced it's not a problem with the Axe Fx, but perhaps the Macbook has issues with the driver? It's confounding as it is not consistent and it doesn't happen all the time. But I have noticed that if I reduce the amount of things using memory (shut down Chrome and any other non-essential programs/windows), it can be marginally better.

But I have not experienced it before Quantum 1.03 (ish)

R

Hey Pirate, yup, your issue sounds very similar to mine. I'm curious to know how you concluded it's not the Axe?
Here's what I know: Memory and/or CPU is not a problem for me - it's a iMac with plenty of horsepower. No change in USB setup, driver etc. I honestly think it's something in the new firmware on Axe..

There have been no changes to the USB aspects of the firmware for a long time. If the problem was the Axe-Fx I'm sure we'd have more than a couple anecdotal reports.

I don't have an Axe-Fx at the moment, but I know a lot of people have been complaining about the latest Mac OS X (El Capitan) causing issues when recording over USB. I know Line 6 have been having troubles with the Helix in this regard. I don't know if the OP is running the latest OS or not...

Yes, I've got El Capitan ver 10.11
I upgraded the firmware to Quantum 1.06 and will monitor this for a while. Good to know that there's been no changes in the USB functionality on Axe. I am almost tempted to hook up a USB sniffer to see what's going on (but I'll need to take my Axe to work..) :)

I don't have an Axe-Fx at the moment, but I know a lot of people have been complaining about the latest Mac OS X (El Capitan) causing issues when recording over USB.....

This is why I didn't suspect the Axe once I had done some looking into it.

I don't have an Axe-Fx at the moment, but I know a lot of people have been complaining about the latest Mac OS X (El Capitan) causing issues when recording over USB. I know Line 6 have been having troubles with the Helix in this regard. I don't know if the OP is running the latest OS or not...

I ran into this issue last night with Logic Pro X and my Axe FX 2. Adjusted the I/O buffer size and it went away.

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro and use LOGIC X DAW. I increased the USB buffer to maximum on the Axe FX.

I was warned by my midi foot controller company that El Capitan has a lot of driver conflicts, so I haven't upgraded. I'm still on Yosemite.

Since my system purrs like a kitten, I see no reason to upgrade.

I will also say, that i maximize the buffer size in LOGIC X too. I ended up with a setup whereby I'm connected to my Mac via USB, the output of the Axe FX 1/4" go into a line mixer, and the output from my Mac's headphone jack also go into the mixer. I listen via the mixer's headphone jack. I don't monitor the channel I'm recording into, through LOGIC. Therefore, setting the buffer size to max, has no effect on me while tracking.

Ever since I began doing this about 2-1/2 years ago, I stopped "printing crackle" in the backgrounds of my printed tracks, along with guitar tone.

I have this issue on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Q 1.06

I've got the USB settings to 64 samples / minimum latency.

I traced my problem to AxeEdit. If AxeEdit is not running, I have no issues.

With AxeEdit running, I intermittently, every15-20 sec, get dropouts and what sounds like digital clipping. I noticed it first when I was tracking in Pro Tools. I got clipping but no overs. I kept reducing the level but still had clipping. Exited AxeEdit and no issues.

An update - I can confirm that Q 1.06 still has the problem (I guess that was expected).
USB buffer size:
1024, Axe Edit running - issue seen
512, Axe Edit running - issue seen, after just a couple of songs
64, no Axe Edit running - so far no issue; I'll monitor this for a few more days

As long as the audio stream is isochronous (i.e. guaranteed bandwidth), AxeEdit, in theory, shouldn't influence the audio stream. That being said, isochronous streams also don't have any error detection/correction, which may explain why the stream is unable to recover.

Back
Top Bottom