USB Audio Center

AXBX

Ein Mikrocontroller mit 16 Kernen und 500 MHz bietet 16 Kanäle mit makellosem USB-Audio (8 Eingänge, 8 Ausgänge), so dass das Axe-Fx III zum Mittelpunkt deines Musik-Arbeitsplatzes wird. Die audiophilen Signalpfad-Komponenten und -Konverter bieten eine bessere Audio-Performance als die meisten dedizierten USB-Audio-Interfaces.

I like to sing and record acoustic guitars in one take.
Can you even add a third Mic for vocals? ( needs 48V, too)

Setup:
I would connect my master monitors (Genelec/Yamaha 80) of my studio to the AXE III, selling my (beloved, but hey!) UAD audio Interface. I use it mainly for low latency recording with my miked acoustic guitars, vocals (mic input) and reamping electric guitars (instrument input). But the effects in the Axe are superb, so I am easy to change that. - knowing the ULTRA

With Cubase I am not able to switch audio interfaces independendly seperating audio (AXE III) in and out (UAD) - like Logic Pro X-, so there will be all in one routing for IN and OUT of my studio signals with the AXE III. I would give the reverb for 0 latency monitoring during vocal/guitar recordings a shot, I guess...

What are the sample rates and bit depth of the AXE III working as audio interface? Would you recommend a low buffer setting in a studio recording situation?

But first off: What is your experience to integrate III at the center of your acoustic audio production setup?

THX for help!

Last edited:
The III, while a wonderful unit, is not optimized for the application you desire, it has no 48V phantom power, the mics would require separate preamps , and the sample rate is locked to 48k. You could make it work, but would be much easier to keep your Apollo interface and incorporate the III. This is what I do.

On a Mac you can set up a so called aggregate audio device, coupling two or more hardware devices into one big virtual device with all ins and outs. I use it with my III and and a small A&H mixer. The mixer supplies phantom power to a condenser mic.

works like a charm with Cubase on a Mac.

Okay, just read some about the USB Audio Design of AXE III and the suggestion of using it as the Center Audio Interface on the german pages.

So: good to have some deeper insights now. THX!!

Incorporate guitar tracking plus vocals is the point then into my recording process. Would be great to play and sing in one run, keeping the chance to reamp for the electric parts back through the axe then.

I dont know if you can run the AXEIII (recording the dry DI path and monitoring it wet, but 0 latency wise) and a dedicated USB Audio Interface on a PC, though...

Keeping it simple:
I could use the UAD Amps for the tracking and reamp later in the AXE (if necessary at least) plus singing, I guess. Depends on how the PC/Windows setup with AXE III + UAD will work as one audio unit. Have built a customized PC Desktop Powerhorse and left Apple some time ago.

Pro Interfaces use ADAT pretty often, but the AXEIII does not offer it, AFAIK. That would be another way to stream and stay in the digital realm.
Would you see some gain with AXEIII in terms of workflow regarding the AXE ULTRA, that I run into my Fireface with the analog Outs and a pre-routed DI Box, to track the dry Signal for hybrid recordings with Mic and(!) Line Signals?

Cheers and thanks again!
BX

Last edited:
Great! But Not sure if firefaces read it....Getting the 8 channel audio (including DI?) stream over would be a chance.

However, AXE just needs a way to transport the output channels digitally into a more dedicated Audio Interface to make the process of recording vocals while recording the AXEs signals possible. Re-Amp the tracked DI channel later then...

Okay, just read some about the USB Audio Design of AXE III and the suggestion of using it as the Center Audio Interface on the german pages.

So: good to have some deeper insights now. THX!!

Incorporate guitar tracking plus vocals is the point then into my recording process. Would be great to play and sing in one run, keeping the chance to reamp for the electric parts back through the axe then.

I dont know if you can run the AXEIII (recording the dry DI path and monitoring it wet, but 0 latency wise) and a dedicated USB Audio Interface on a PC, though...

Keeping it simple:
I could use the UAD Amps for the tracking and reamp later in the AXE (if necessary at least) plus singing, I guess. Depends on how the PC/Windows setup with AXE III + UAD will work as one audio unit. Have built a customized PC Desktop Powerhorse and left Apple some time ago.

Pro Interfaces use ADAT pretty often, but the AXEIII does not offer it, AFAIK. That would be another way to stream and stay in the digital realm.
Would you see some gain with AXEIII in terms of workflow regarding the AXE ULTRA, that I run into my Fireface with the analog Outs and a pre-routed DI Box, to track the dry Signal for hybrid recordings with Mic and(!) Line Signals?

Cheers and thanks again!
BX
You can directly record both wet and dry signals from the III usb interface. No need for an external one.

Martijne! I know..., but how to get the vocal mic signal into the stream in one run? On PC the Aggregate thing is maybe not possible to combine AXE and Mic Signals. Ideally, both streams (mic and AXE signals) have to be in perfect alignment and need 0 latency monitoring wise... To me the task sounds simple: Record AXEs signals (including the dry DI channel) and Vocals in one run. How to setup?

Last edited:
Does your UAD have AES inputs and outputs? If you decide not to sell it in order to use its mic preamps, I would plug your guitar into the Axe FX III and send the main output over AES to the UAD (to remain digital). Use another (analog) output from the Axe to record the DI. Use the UAD to record both guitar output, (AES), guitar DI (analog instrument input) and vocals (analog mic input).

Alternatively, if you are almost certainly going to be reamping the signal after recording, you could send the DI track over AES in order to prioritize its signal integrity in the digital realm. Then when reamping and overdubbing, switch the AES output of the Axe from “DI” back to “Output 1” to Record your finalized tone into your DAW.

When reamping, output the dry signal from the UAD to the Axe FX (over AES), tweak your signal chain in the Axe, then overdub the Axe output in your DAW.

Does your UAD have AES inputs and outputs? If you decide not to sell it in order to use its mic preamps, I would plug your guitar into the Axe FX III and send the main output over AES to the UAD (to remain digital). Use another (analog) output from the Axe to record the DI. Use the UAD to record both guitar output, (AES), guitar DI (analog instrument input) and vocals (analog mic input).

Alternatively, if you are almost certainly going to be reamping the signal after recording, you could send the DI track over AES in order to prioritize its signal integrity in the digital realm. Then when reamping and overdubbing, switch the AES output of the Axe from “DI” back to “Output 1” to Record your finalized tone into your DAW.

When reamping, output the dry signal from the UAD to the Axe FX (over AES), tweak your signal chain in the Axe, then overdub the Axe output in your DAW.
UAD dont use AES, sadly

Great Andrew.
The UAD stays, as I need Vocal recordings. it was my fault to see that the AXE does not work as a dedicated Audio Interface for the mic department plus I learned it is fixed to 48kHz. Okay. But we are getting there...

Would you see a chance in recording the DI signal through the UAD and switch to the AXE later for reamping purposes. The DI signals should not differ to much whether you record through UAD or AXE, I would assume.

Again, THX to everybody, topic comes out to be a bit tricky in the detail. ->Thx for your patience!

Martijne! I know..., but how to get the vocal mic signal into the stream in one run? On PC the Aggregate thing is maybe not possible to combine AXE and Mic Signals. Ideally, both streams (mic and AXE signals) have to be in perfect alignment and need 0 latency monitoring wise... To me the task sounds simple: Record AXEs signals (including the dry DI channel) and Vocals in one run. How to setup?
On mac the aggregate device works great. But aren’t there windows alternatives? Loopback? Asio4all?

...running stable, low buffer settings in sync, plug and play, drivers? :). I don´t know.
But tend to record/monitor through UAD and use the AXE III later for re-amping the DI Signal at the moment. Seems to be the safest way, so far...

OR
As there is no chance tranferring the DI and monitoring Signals of the AXE III digitally to the UAD (as with my ULTRA):
Plan B:
running UAD recorded tracks of 44,1 or 96 kHz analogue (physical cables) into my ULTRA. Would you use the IN2 (Back) with the Line Signal from the DAW to reamp or a reamp box in front of IN1 (Front)

Plan C:
recording the analogue Outs of AXE III with wet and dry (DI) signal into a dedicated Audio interface (multitrack recording). Plus. You have the chance to record vocals in one run, too.

Last edited:
Great Andrew.
The UAD stays, as I need Vocal recordings. it was my fault to see that the AXE does not work as a dedicated Audio Interface for the mic department plus I learned it is fixed to 48kHz. Okay. But we are getting there...

Would you see a chance in recording the DI signal through the UAD and switch to the AXE later for reamping purposes. The DI signals should not differ to much whether you record through UAD or AXE, I would assume.

Again, THX to everybody, topic comes out to be a bit tricky in the detail. ->Thx for your patience!
Sure, I don't see why not! What model UAD do you have?

Back
Top Bottom