USB ASIO Driver problem

Neelfy

Inspired
I'm pretty sure this is more a System/Windows problem than actual driver problem.

Problem is Axe FX II is not available/shown in device setup of DAW.

Same problem exists in both Reaper and Cubase.

I also tried on my other PC and it works fine in Windows XP 32bit

I have tied uninstalling drivers, removing all references in registry etc

My M-Audio Fast Track interface shows up ok in device setup and I have also tried taking that out of the equation.

My system is Window 7 64Bit

Like I say I'm pretty sure its more of a system problem so apart from doing a full windows reinstall I would appreciate any ideas you guys can give.

Cheers.

Tried restore but still no change. Like I say trying to avoid the pain of reinstall.

I'm hoping someone on here has solved this before or is the is a Windows/USB pro

Cheers for the response though.

If you have replaced all of the drivers etc, one thing I have noticed is to have the DAW in my case Cubase 6 closed or not started, start the Axe FX and then Cubase.

I have found that unless things are started in the correct order or something has been left on, then the AXe doesn't show up. Hopefully it is something as simple as that.

With the Axe on and usb cable connected, look in the Device Manager under 'Sound, video and game controllers' and see if the Axe is listed and that it doesn't show an error.

With the Axe on and usb cable connected, look in the Device Manager under 'Sound, video and game controllers' and see if the Axe is listed and that it doesn't show an error.

Yes its listed in the device manager under 'Sound, video and game controllers' with no errors. Its also listed on its own under "fasusbaudio_SetupClass"

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 39
Here's what I have. Something looks borked with your AxeII driver entry. Drivers can be a real hassle to get cleaned up and working right after a hosed install. I'm sorry I know this isn't much help. I don't know what all you've tried. Try doing an uninstall of both things from the Device Mangler then unplug the Axe usb and restart the computer. Install the driver software before plugging the Axe usb cable in.

axedm.JPG

Yeah think your right, looks like something is messed up with drivers. Thanks for taking time to post your Device Manager it helps a lot to confirm that ""fasusbaudio_SetupClass" wasn't right.

Looks like a full system reinstall in inevitable.

Thanks for you efforts hyperipper.

Hopefully someone with has some more ideas before I dog out the Windows disk.

A couple of things I have run across over the years troubleshooting USB.

1. Cables make a huge difference. More expensive isn't always more better. And just because one device works flawlessly doesn't mean that another will. I do imagine that since you had it working on another machine though that this isn't the problem.

2. Not all ports are made the same way. Try plugging into several other ports, depending on how they are connected internally, amount of power they supply and controller chip there is a whole frickin' mess of issues with trying to find a good port. I just went through this last night again with my MP3 player. It would connect fine from the front panel but never went into charge mode. I had to connect it to the back of the computer to get it to kick in.

3. If there are several communication errors a port will become partially or totally disabled. A device may still look like its connected but it won't work right. The only way I've ever been able to fix this one is to power down and remove the power cable for about 30 seconds. For some reason this resets the status on the motherboard. Sounds stupid, but I suppose it's a protection feature or something. I've had it happen on several PC's over the years.

4. Hubs can help and can hurt. I'm running my AxeFXII through USB hub with no power connected to it (it's optional). I have no idea why, but it won't work while powered, but without power it's rock solid. As a matter of fact it's an old Belkin hub that's supposedly only USB1.1. They must have built them really good back then because everything works through them even if its supposed to be USB2.0.

Thanks Sash,

I tried different cables and different usb ports but with no luck.

I'm pretty sure it not an issue with usb as such as it appears to be more of a driver problem as shown in the device manager shots.

Cheers.

Did you try to remove the incorrect entry via device manager and reboot. I suspect this is a stalled install if you will that is preventing a new install of the driver. This is probably the best shot now based on the current info.

Did you try to remove the incorrect entry via device manager and reboot. I suspect this is a stalled install if you will that is preventing a new install of the driver. This is probably the best shot now based on the current info.

Yup tried all that.

Thanks for response Strat

Uninstall the drivers using the uninstall .exe, located by default in C:\Fractal Audio Systems\Axe-Fx II USB Driver Installer, instead of removing them in Device Manager. After that use something like "Little Registry Cleaner", or "CCleaner", or both in in case one misses something. Then reboot and reinstall. You can also manually remove all references them from the registry, when I had ran into problems last year, I ended up having to do it manually.

Last edited:
I have pretty similar problem with the ASIO driver my unit can disconnect and connect itself back again and I've tried different ports, cables even reinstalled win7 but the problem comes back from time to time. I thought it might be my Axe Fx but I don't know.

Uninstall the drivers using the uninstall .exe, located by default in C:\Fractal Audio Systems\Axe-Fx II USB Driver Installer, instead of removing them in Device Manager. After that use something like "Little Registry Cleaner", or "CCleaner", or both in in case one misses something. Then reboot and reinstall. You can also manually remove all references them from the registry, when I had ran into problems last year, I ended up having to do it manually.

As mentioned previously in my post I tried all that already and even tried again but still same issue.

Thanks for the response though, its much appreciated.

As mentioned previously in my post I tried all that already and even tried again but still same issue.

Thanks for the response though, its much appreciated.

Doh! Sorry, my reading comprehension seems to have been over taken by V7.0 anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom