usb 3.0

It should work fine, but will not be faster. The Axe II has a USB 2.0 interface, so it will only operate at USB 2.0 speeds. Most USB 3.0 ports on computers are backwards compatible and should run at 2.0 speeds when the Axe is connected. You also have to use USB 2.0 cables with the Axe II since the USB 3.0 type B connector will not fit into the Axe's USB 2.0 type B port.

commenting on my own answer, people report roundtrip latency in the lab of 30 or 50 us so it may be that USB 3.0 will one day offer lower latency.

i remember to have some pb in the past with usb 3.0 port, specially when you use the usb audio driver (not with axedit exchanges)
i don't know if the pb was solved since last years with the news drivers
since i work on usb2 port (i've both version on my workstation)

Yes... personally I'm glad it uses 2.0, which is relatively mature.
I happen to work with (non-audio) USB in an industrial setting and I light a candle on the factory floor every day it doesn't cause any problems...

Yes... personally I'm glad it uses 2.0, which is relatively mature.
I happen to work with (non-audio) USB in an industrial setting and I light a candle on the factory floor every day it doesn't cause any problems...

Yup. USB is easily one of the worst protocols ever invented. The Audio Class 2.0 spec is so confusing that we hired one of the guys that wrote the original spec to help us with development and even he couldn't get it to work.

Hi,

focusrite did a nice writeup why audio doesn't really need USB 3.0 for a handful of channels:
I can't post URLs but google for this: focusrite 208095469-USB-2-0-vs-USB-3-0

I wouldn't really believe anything Focusrite ever says, given what they say about their products and what they actually are.

Zoom made an interface recently that works faster on USB 3 than on USB 2.

That said, there really hardly any possible benefit for Axe FX in using USB 3, I think.

USB Type C is a connector spec, not a protocol spec. It's meant to be a replacement for the USB type A (PC side) and USB type B (device side) connectors so everything can use the same connector. It also has a bunch of extra pins for future expansion.

True, but this connector spec allows power delivery up to 100W, USB 3.1 with higher bandwidth, and alternate modes including Thunderbolt 3. So it's not insignificant and does have advantages.

Yeah definitely has its perks. I love that it's two sided. If I had a nickel for every time I've tried to plug a USB cable or thumb drive in upside-down, I'd be filthy freaking rich. The different A and B connectors on host and device ends of the cable was always a stupid design.

By the way, the fact that you can easily flip sides on that connector has a flip side. :)

Because direction and capabilities are determined electronically by the chip inside the connector, the cables are more expensive and rare, there are no DYI/custom options, you cannot put a jack on your rack patch panel, and poorly implemented cables can even damage devices you connect.

So there are disadvantages as well.

I have had issues with using USB3.0 with my AxeFx and my Scarlett. I typically try and stay away from it.

The latency is a result of the required audio buffer size which needs to be adjusted to be able to bridge CPU scheduling problems on the host (PC). Some device drivers take the entire CPU hostage for a few milliseconds (graphics card drivers do this a lot) so no audio data can be processed. The less h/w devices you have enabled on your computer the less prone it is to glitches and the smaller the audio buffer can be. The physical USB transfer rate difference between USB 2 and 3 practically doesn't play a role in this game. The device drivers are a lot more important.

Back
Top Bottom