USA PRE YELLOW AND GREEN- Cliff, you nailed it!

Glad these are here now, any chance in getting the Lead 1 red (recto board, non phat mod)? been chasing that ever since i got rid of my triaxis.

Maybe. I know my Triaxises (is that the plural?) have the recto board but I'm not sure about the phat mod. I always hated Lead 1 Red but I don't know if it's because mine have the phat mod or not. I'll have to refresh myself on that mod as I forget what all that was about.

That lead 1 red can get a really nice transparent clean sound if you crank the master & leave the lead drive 1 & the gain low. Mine is a very early one so I'm sure it doesn't have the recto board or phat mod.

Triaxi? I had a couple including one of the very first. Only had half the owners manual written when I picked it up.
Years later I sent in in for the board upgrade. Absolutely hated the red and the phat. Sent it back and actually had them take it back out.

So happy to have my triaxis back in the weapons locker!

wow!!! set up the yellow last night with the Eternal Love drive in front and the new petrucci cab.
Very little adjustments from the default setting got me a great mark IIC+ sound
you sure did nail this one

These new Mesa pre`s sounds great. I have tried triaxis a couple of times, but did not get any great sounds of it. As all Mesa amps it takes time to tweak. Not in the axe though. Simple twist and i`m there :D
Is there any amp in the Axe that does not sound great now? (not taking taste as a factor) They all have character. Thats why the amps got a name people know about.

There is much more difference in the amps, even trough the same cab. Different sound, tone and feel. Love it.

Maybe. I know my Triaxises (is that the plural?) have the recto board but I'm not sure about the phat mod. I always hated Lead 1 Red but I don't know if it's because mine have the phat mod or not. I'll have to refresh myself on that mod as I forget what all that was about.

Cliff, congrats on an excellent yellow pre on FW10! But I also love the Lead 1 Red on my Triaxis, so a future FW-update that includes this one is very much appreciated:) I am not sure of this, but I seem to remember that the serial numbers after 4000 on the Triaxis had the phat mod. My TriAxis has serial number 3100 or so, and this is the recto, non-phat model.

Edit: I found this info on the BoogieBoard regarding Triaxis serial numbers/Lead 1 Red:
Units with serial #'s T0001 to T1629 are Version 1 w/o Midi/recording out circuit upgrade
Units with serial #'s T1630 to T8278 are Version 2 w/ TX4 "Vintage Rectifier" Lead 1 red circuit and Midi/recording out circuit upgrade
Units with serial #'s T8279 and up are Version 2 w/ TX5 "Fat Mod" Lead 1 red circuit and Midi/recording out circuit upgrade

Last edited:
Glad there's so much love here for the Triaxis leads. I have a theory on why this preamp and amp models sound so great. The Triaxis was really designed to go direct as well and to be played at any volume. That means more compression, but also that the unit is more flexible in all different setups as opposed to an actual mark IV that really needs the power tubes to get "the sound." Another great gig last night! Thanks again

Last edited:
I've never played a real triaxis before, but I can tell you this is a new favorite for fluid lead tone. At first, I didn't realise the Sag parameter was off by default. Thanks to this thread, I've tweak it and WOW!!!! Smooth yet thight tone with endless sustain. I keep the drive around 5, no more needed. And you sure don't need any boost pedal in front of the amp. Great USA voicing lead tone. I lllllllllllllllove it!!

I had a triaxis and sold it went to a vetta (cringe) but got sick of that quickly, got another newer triaxis, and it didnt have the recto board.. thats when I did the research as to why my lead 1 red didnt sound anything like the old one did, opened it up and it was completely different. I tracked down one that had the recto board... sounded better but was flubby and a mess... so I found out this one had the stupid "phat mod" which was terrible. I found some "undo" instructions on the net, and removed the phat mod, and bingo there it was.. exactly like I remembered.

Thanks in advance for looking into it.

Here's a good phat mod resource:
The Boogie Board • View topic - Triaxis Undoing the Fat Mod (Guide)

My triax doesn't have the mod. the distortion its very tight, even a bit on the dry side.

v10 rocks Cliff! Thanks for the lead 2 modes!

Cliff that is exactly what I did to mine (thanks Snedecor for finding)...

it's amazing how much better it sounds without the phat mod.. i have no idea what boogie was thinking when they did that, or even removed the recto board to begin with.

i'm glad to see these modes in the axe fx now as well. i was a triaxis user for over 10 years and i was still finding great sounds in it just before i sold it for the axe. i used lead 2 yellow with the bridge humbucker, vol and tone turned down a bit, for smooth holdsworthian lead sounds, and i used lead 2 red with my strat, because that extra sizzle on top worked really well with single coils in positions 2 and 4 and yet still had a really nice peak in the middle. i remember when i first bought the triaxis, i couldn't tell the difference between the three lead 2 modes, but with time, i was able to appreciate their subtleties. lead 2 green is definitely hairier and more saturated than the others with a very different mid range peak. superfat with the bridge humbucker. i'd actually like to see lead 2 red in the axe (i never used lead 1 red at all). cliff reckons you can get close with one of the other usa lead amps, but i've never quite been able to nail it. probably my own fault, but it's always been elusive.

Well the lead 1 red was special, it's it's own board, completely different circuit. V1 didnt have it, had it for a short while, then totally changed it. If you google it you can see the different boards, totally different. I miss that channel the most, and was close there for a while with the recto orange vintage, but it's now not in the ballpark.

It would be fate if Cliff had the lead 1 red recto non phat model triaxis ;)

Cliff, any specific technical reasons as to why you didn't use a 2:90 since they're supposed to be voiced for each other? Or just personal preference?

IF you were to model the Tri w a 2:90, what would you do w the Presence Control? No matter what I run through it (TriAxis or Axe II) I always have to keep it dialed completely down. I find it makes everything way too harsh sounding through my 4x12 recto cab.

Cliff, any specific technical reasons as to why you didn't use a 2:90 since they're supposed to be voiced for each other? Or just personal preference?

IF you were to model the Tri w a 2:90, what would you do w the Presence Control? No matter what I run through it (TriAxis or Axe II) I always have to keep it dialed completely down. I find it makes everything way too harsh sounding through my 4x12 recto cab.

Cliff said he prefers the sound of non-boogie power amps such as vht (also I think that's what he currently had so...). Truth is I feel wrong asking Cliff for ANYTHING for the next six months....

Funny a few things: One, I was trying to dial in petrucci stuff and found green to be more clear less muffled, and a bit gainier. Then my friend with a triaxis told me thats a CLEAN channel! NOt sure why I get a good lead and rhythm with a clean? I verified petrucci used this for his cleans?! The yellow is supposed to be the mark 2cplus, and Petrucci uses for leads, and Hefield uses for master of puppets stuff.

Supposedly Petrucci uses/used red channel for high gain!

thoughts?

The TriAxis has three modes Rhythm, LD1 and LD2. Rhythm has a Yellow and Green (both clean). LD1 has Yellow and Green (both low gain MK I-ish) and Red (which is the recto board sometimes w the phat mod. Mine has it and I hate it). LD2 Yellow, Green and Red are the higher gain MK IIC+, IV, III modes.

Right. But if you WANT to use the power amp modeling (which I would) turn the Supply Sag up to, say, 2.0 and then adjust the MV as described. If the Supply Sag is zero then the MV is just a level control and doesn't affect the tone any.

The default Supply Sag turns the model into just a preamp model, the power amp modeling is bypassed.

Never would have looked at the sag if you hadn't mentioned this, but I put it on about 2 and the yellow came to life big time. Might be one of my favs and definitely my favorite of the mesas now. Next I'll check out the green. Thanks for pointing this out!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom