USA PRE YELLOW AND GREEN- Cliff, you nailed it!

ari

Inspired
Long time triaxis user and still have one. These Sound amazing. How should I use the Power Amp/Master Volume controls here? FWIW I often gigged the triaxis using the Record Output going direct to board. and Presence should be rolled off?
THANKS A TON CLIFF, TEAM AND ALL THE BETA TESTERS

Start with the MV at default and adjust up or down to get the desired amount of power amp distortion/compression.

I did NOT use a Boogie power amp model with these as I always preferred using my Triaxis (I have two of them) with a more typical tube power amp. My favorite power amp with the Triaxis was a VHT 2502 so the power amp model is very similar to that.

Right. But if you WANT to use the power amp modeling (which I would) turn the Supply Sag up to, say, 2.0 and then adjust the MV as described. If the Supply Sag is zero then the MV is just a level control and doesn't affect the tone any.

The default Supply Sag turns the model into just a preamp model, the power amp modeling is bypassed.

I put up the supply sag to 2.0 and these models scream! Ohh, I can't wait to gig this live on Sunday. Thanks a ton. Running this into petrucci's V30 mix....

I gotcha cliff just wanted to make sure I was clear on if PA was meant to be bypassed by default. Now get off this forum and take a nap.

I would have missed the power amp setting too. Most of us are probably running into FRFR so default one might cause less user error.

Pre Yellow is my new Mesa tone!!! it screams! I think i even prefer it to mark IIC+ amp sim, which is kinda strange sims i always consideret it as they holy grail of mesa amps!

So (I 've never owned a Tria Axis) what is the difference between these new models? yellow and green that is?

I'm loving the Triaxis models too. I'm using them with the sag up (power amp modeling engaged) but they sound great either way.

I used to have a Triaxis. I used it with a Mesa 2:90 and 212 Recto cab. The new models with sag up and Petrucci cab sound VERY similar. Too bad I don't still have the Triaxis to do an A:B comparison, but thanks to the Axe I just don't need it anymore!

So (I 've never owned a Tria Axis) what is the difference between these new models? yellow and green that is?

According to the Mesa website, green is "medium gain boogie lead", whatever that means. Yellow is "classic boogie lead (Mark IIC+/Mark IV). Not sure if this reflects the model in the Axe, as Triaxis units have changed over the years (though I think yellow was always a IIC+).

Having owned a Triaxis, I can tell you that they sounded very similar. Yellow just sounded a little different EQ-wise in the mids. A little more thick and syrupy. That was actually my biggest beef with the Triaxis. Most of the modes (with the exception of "lead 1 red") just sounded like the same tone with slight EQ adjustments.

According to the Mesa website, green is "medium gain boogie lead", whatever that means. Yellow is "classic boogie lead (Mark IIC+/Mark IV). Not sure if this reflects the model in the Axe, as Triaxis units have changed over the years (though I think yellow was always a IIC+).

Having owned a Triaxis, I can tell you that they sounded very similar. Yellow just sounded a little different EQ-wise in the mids. A little more thick and syrupy. That was actually my biggest beef with the Triaxis. Most of the modes (with the exception of "lead 1 red") just sounded like the same tone with slight EQ adjustments.

thanks! I'll have to give this a go tonight

Holy ...!

Hadn't really paid atention to the new PRE models before, but as mentioned above, these sound fantastic!
I already changed my Mark Lead model to the IIC+ a few days ago. But now I've changed it to the PRE Yellow, with SAG set to 2. Stereo cab: 4x12 Rumble EVM and 4x12 Petrucci.
Beats the IIC+ IMHO. Thick, juicy, and sustain for days.

Last edited:
Holy ...!

Hadn't really paid atention to the new PRE models before, but as mentioned above, these sound fantastic!
I already changed my Mark Lead model to the IIC+ a few days ago. But now I've changed it to the PRE Yellow, with SAG set to 2.
Beats the IIC+ IMHO. Thick, juicy, and sustain for days.

And I've found you can use it with or without a drive in front! All my Mark IV patches will be switched over!

they sound awesome! not only that, they feel like a Mark series amp. man, this FW10 is one hell of a leap. based on the demo mp3's FAS/Cliff uploaded i'd expected it to be good, but this is ridiculous.

As an update, I gigged last night (and led the band and ran my Presonus board) straight from updating to Fw10 and replacing my amps with the usa pre green. I BARELY NEEDED ANY ADJUSTING the whole night sounded amazing right off the bat. Best gig I've had with the axe in a long long time. Also ran a patch with plexi 100 and was PERFECT. Wouldn't say I'm done totally yet but this was a HUGE breakthrough (so my axe fx is back in a rack and cables are all snaked up for live use)

Glad these are here now, any chance in getting the Lead 1 red (recto board, non phat mod)? been chasing that ever since i got rid of my triaxis.

The 2 pieces of gear that I've kept since my Axe II arrived are my Triaxis and 2:90. Took me 10 minutes to dial up my tone on both the PRE GREEN and PRE YELLOW. I'm totally floored right now at how good these sound!

Back
Top Bottom