USA on the road - West Coast Trip [March/April 2016]

ProgressiveRocco

Power User
hey dudes!
So, after years and years of procrastination I'm finally doing this! I'm gonna be spending two months in the US visiting California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada with a friend of mine, from the 7th of March to the 2nd of May! I seriously can't wait!

Given the fact most of you guys are from the States I figured I'd post our itinerary, if you have any tips, or recommendations on places to see and whatnot, feel free to comment!!

Just so you know we deliberately choose to concentrate on the National Parks (we love camping and hiking) more than the big cities (with some exceptions of course)!

MARCH

7. HOME - LOS ANGELES

8. LOS ANGELES

9. LOS ANGELES

10. LOS ANGELES

11. LOS ANGELES

12. SAN DIEGO

13. SAN DIEGO

14. SAN DIEGO

15. SAN DIEGO

16. JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK

17. JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK - AMBOY - KINGMAN (ROUTE 66)

18. GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK

19. GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK - PAGE - HORSESHOE BEND - LAKE POWELL

20. LOWER & UPPER ANTELOPE CANYON - KAYENTA

21. MONUMENT VALLEY - MEXICAN HAT - MULEY POINT - VALLEY OF THE GODS

22. CANYON DE CHELLY

23. MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK - MOAB

24. MOAB - ARCHES NATIONAL PARK

25. ARCHES NATIONAL PARK

26. CANYONLANDS NATIONAL PARK

27. CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK

28. ESCALANTE

29. ESCALANTE

30. ESCALANTE

31. BRYCE CANYON

APRIL

1. ZION NATIONAL PARK

2. ZION NATIONAL PARK

3. ZION NATIONAL PARK

4. VALLEY OF FIRE - LAS VEGAS

5. LAS VEGAS

6. LAS VEGAS - RED ROCK CANYON

7. AREA 51 - DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK

8. DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK

9. BAKERSFIELD

10. SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK

11. KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARK

12. YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK

13. YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK

14. LAKE TAHOE

15. RENO - LASSEN NATIONAL PARK - REDDING

16. REDWOOD NATIONAL PARK

17. REDWOOD NATIONAL PARK - PATRICK'S POINT - THE LOST COAST

18. GLASS BEACH - MENDONCINO

19. BODEGA BAY - NAPA VALLEY - SONOMA

20. POINT REYES - MUIR WOOD - SAN FRANCISCO

21. SAN FRANCISCO

22. SAN FRANCISCO

23. SAN FRANCISCO

24. SAN FRANCISCO

25. ANO NUEVO STATE PARK - SANTA CRUZ

26. SANTA CRUZ - PINNACLES NATIONAL PARK - MONTEREY

27. MONTEREY

28. CARMEL - POINT LOBOS - BIG SUR

29. BIG SUR - PFEIFFER BEACH - PARTINGTON COVE - McWAY FALLS - MORRO BAY

30. MORRO BAY - SANTA BARBARA

MAY

1. MALIBU - SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS

2. LOS ANGELES - HOME

Last edited:
Since you are going to be near the lost coast at redwoods national park you should make it to the coast side more than the inland trees, and Check out some of the coastal beauty as well. There are alot of hiking trails through this area. Possibly Visit Patricks Point enroute one direction or another as its very close to the highway and shouldn't really to much out of the way.

Awesome itinerary. I have visited and love many of these places. I recommend more time in Yosemite. Yosemite Valley is amazing, but you also want to get up to Tuolumne Meadows.

I would actually recommend that instead of Bakersfield (horrible town) you go north from Death Valley along the eastern Sierra on Highway 395. At Lee Vining you can drive up into Tuolumne Meadows. Spend some time there then continue across to Yosemite Valley. This is a very beautiful and wonderful way to travel.

I recommend doing some hiking up in Tuolumne Meadows. It is a very beautiful and unique area and it is not so hot because it is higher in elevation.

EDIT: Sorry I just realized you are going to be there in April. Tuolumne Meadows (and the Tioga Pass road across the Sierra Nevada) is not open that time of year. Sorry!

Since you are going to be near the lost coast at redwoods national park....
thanks man, I've added Patrick's Point to the list!

EDIT: Sorry I just realized you are going to be there in April. Tuolumne Meadows (and the Tioga Pass road across the Sierra Nevada) is not open that time of year. Sorry!
thanks anyway man, yeah it kinda sucks, we also wanted to see Mono Lake but as you said the Tioga Pass is gonna be closed until the first week of May...as for Bakersfield, do you have any recommendation for a different city in that area?

Back
Top Bottom