USA Lead 2 with CA3+2E tonestack NICE!

randombastage

Experienced
Just fooling around, made a crunch/lead preset using the USA Lead 2 with low drive and high master and switched out the tone stack for the CA3+2E and I'm really loving it.
I'm not that familiar with different amps tone stacks etc. and was wondering is this a combination that is in use out there in the real-tube world?
If not someone might want to play around with it. I've got it dialed in with a fair amount of breakup but it is still articulate but not in an overly modern sounding way. It cleans up nicely with the guitars volume rolled back. Using an Edwards Les Paul type with the stock Seymour Duncans if that matters.

I would figure the CA3+SE tonestack would be pretty much a marshall tone stack, maybe with a different frequency voicing. Haven't seen a CAE schematic to verify, though.

What makes the Mark IV have it's sound (IMO) is the fender tone stack in the circuit; I'd figure you'd lose the smooth midrange of the amp by going to a Marshall-style tonestack. Not sure you'd find anything like this in a real tube amp.

This thread actually prompted me to piss about with different tonestacks a bit last night. I did quite like the CAE tonestack in my Mark IV type patch, although it was definitely a very different sound. More crunchy than any kind of high gain metal thing (not a bad thing IMO). :)

There is a thread with frequency response curves for all tonestacks, I have to go now but I'll find it later when I am back.

Jens

Back
Top Bottom