USA IIC+

jiggajewjay

Inspired
question about this model. I read all the hubbub about JP loaning this amp to Cliff and I said to myself damn this must be a sweet amp. I have never tried the model on the Axe so i was really curious to try it out. I paired it with a few different cabs - namely the CK pack 7 & 8. With the gain on the amp dialed back quite a bit i had a pretty sweet breaking clean tone. when i dimed the gain controls it got really thrashy. I am not a big Dream Theater guy but I have heard JP play and his sound is really heavy "chuggy" - i couldn't quite get anything in that ball park. What sound are you folks generally going for when you choose this amp? any sound clips you can point me to that i can try to emulate myself? i just feel that if Cliff is going thru all the pains of procuring this amp so that he can G3 it for us, there must be some magic in this amp model - just haven't found it myself yet.. And I know that a bunch of you will be compelled to to reply that it was NOT G3'd yet. I know this... but It should still sound pretty darn good as is.
Thanks in advance for the replies

How are you dialing in the amp 5-band EQ? And what cab are you using? Your B/M/T/P treble control settings are key also. Start with bass low, like 9:00, Mid 9:00, Treble 2:00, Pres 11:00. Put the EQ in a "V" curve with 750 cut about 80% or so. Use a 412 with V30's.

There are a TON of awesome Mesa like tones on the AxeChange. I downloaded a bunch of them and then tweaked them to my ears.

I always flip the Fat Switch and push the input trim knob to 2.0. I keep the Overdrive on 7.5 and usually keep Drive at 6. Then I just use Petrucci's settings from there.

Back
Top Bottom