UPS is the worst carrier

In my neck of the woods, I completely agree! All I can figure is they treat their drivers like crap as EVERY package from them is damaged. Thankfully, Fedex always delivers clean packages.

I have shipped a well packed speaker cabinet in the past with UPS only to have it arrive at its destination with the ceramic magnet from one of the mounted 12" speakers ripped clean off the back of the frame and banging around inside the bubble wrap stuffed cabinet. This, obviously due to some unfathomable impact event.

Worse yet, it took months to resolve the claim with UPS requiring the need for "twenty-seven 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one was, to be USED as evidence against us!"

Worse yet, it took months to resolve the claim with UPS requiring the need for "twenty-seven 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one was, to be USED as evidence against us!"
Most will totally miss your reference there... But I did not ;)

Even though I'm a bit too young to have the first hand experience...

I have shipped a well packed speaker cabinet in the past with UPS only to have it arrive at its destination with the ceramic magnet from one of the mounted 12" speakers ripped clean off the back of the frame and banging around inside the bubble wrap stuffed cabinet. This, obviously due to some unfathomable impact event.

Back in the mind 90s I bought an early 70s Hiwatt 4x12 with original Fanes. UPS dropped it off the truck and 3 of the 4 magnets sheared off. My amp guy was able to get them back on, but it was a huge hassle.

I always say, you pay minimum wage, you get minimum performance and dedication.
UPS is union and pays fairly well compared to much of their competition.

Part of the issue in many instances is with the automation and the sheer number of pieces going through the systems. I'm not sure how many of you have been inside a hub for any of these carriers and really knows how it works.

All of these shipping companies have some issues here and there, but that's just the way life is. Accidents happen, and most of the time that's what it is, an accident. Employee negligence doesn't happen as much as some of you guys would like to think.

The driver is the last one to blame, as he only the final link in a long chain of automation and inside staff that gets packages from point A to point Z via many points in between.

I agree that filing a claim can be a huge pain in the ass, but I know not everything is packed as well as what I see described here. Like most of you, I overpack in layers when I have to ship. No way in hell I'd even try to ship a 4x12 cab though. Too heavy and fragile to ship it safely in anything but a fully padded and sturdy crate.

I've worked at some of the shipping carriers during summer break from school and I've also worked for Amazon at a sorting center.
The bottom line is, you don't get paid for being careful, you get paid for moving packages as fast as you possibly can.

Sorry to see this :-(

Every carrier is the worst carrier.

Every carrier is also the best carrier. :)

I really feel the tendency sometimes is for many of us to overlook
the sheer volume of what they all move every day and how entitled
we have become in our hyper-consumer-driven culture. I want it yesterday!
Multiply that by hundreds of millions and we get a decent starting point
for what is going on in our world.

I pity the drivers, to be honest. Their workload has gone through the
roof in the past 10 to 15 years and just grows with every passing year.
They work longer hours to fulfill their routes and often end up putting
in time on weekends and are "independent contractors" (USPS, Fed Ex)
with few benefits or security.

I befriend them all. I give them smoked brisket and cookies and know their names.

A little kindness and understanding can go a long ways. And yes, I have had shit arrive damaged.
Most instances it is a fall from a conveyor and NOT from an "abusive" driver or handler along the way.

Besides, what is a nick or dent on an ATA Case?? Isn't that what they are there for---to absorb the "abuse" so
what is inside of it doesn't have to?? ;)

Back
Top Bottom