UPS customs charges UK

BobDoubleJack

Inspired
Hi all
Ordered an axe fx 3 from g66 - whose service as always is impeccable.
has anyone got experience of custom or import charges from Ups? Do they request pre delivery by online payment or at the time it’s delivered?

Hi all
Ordered an axe fx 3 from g66 - whose service as always is impeccable.
has anyone got experience of custom or import charges from Ups? Do they request pre delivery by online payment or at the time it’s delivered?
Not with the Axe but with a set of Red Sound Elis 8 FRFR speakers. UPS are suppose to send you a payment link beforehand but I never got one, they turned up a day early without any notification and lucky someone was in to pay the custom and surcharge.

No worries you're welcome. Just keep checking the tracking, it's suppose to appear on there so I'm told. When it says advised or something like that it's meant to show the link.

UPS is also omitting double lined receivers - meaning you used to have 2 lines of input for addressee , so if you sent it to your job, you could say put
"John Smith
Dover accounting inc
123 main st.
suite 2
canada, tx 40102"

so now its Either "John smith" or "Dover accounting inc" - so IF the sender chooses the "building/company" as the receiver/addressee, then you sometimes have to go to your main shipping dept area and ask if anything came from the sender......

I don't know if that helps anyone, but that piece of arbitrary information was a big issue for receiving something else, very very delicate and sensitive to a "dealer" - and the sender, as of 2021, reported that he did not put it in my name but the business name

needless to say, it was almost lost as it remained unclaimed - and then finally the business owner contacted me to tell me what happened, and that he didn't put my name anywhere on the shipment information, so only due to persistent and annoying calling to the dealer did they finally "locate" my shipment, and they apologized as it was "placed in the wrong area", meaning if I waited another week, someone would've just assumed it fell of the truck, and had dibs on it......

SO, anyone using UPS - make sure your sender puts your name on the very first line because the second line is ignored now apparently, hope that helps someone not worry as it did to me

Just so I'm understanding, we in the UK now have to pay VAT and customs duty on any purchase made from Europe? Does the VAT also apply to used goods? I went to the UK government website to try and find out, and read this, which is just awesome:

The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules for buying things from Europe now apply. This page is currently out of date.

Since moving from the States back to the UK I've been avoiding buying guitars from the States. I did try and buy one, but it got turned away at the border because the seller had made a mistake on one of the forms. Now it sounds like there's no benefit to buying from Europe versus the States. And the selection in the US is far greater than what's available in Europe.

VAT applies on used as well.

I ordered some pickups from the EU in January: the price I paid didn't include VAT, then I was charged VAT, duty and UPS handling fee. That's identical now to how shipping from the States works.

The only wrinkle is that EU vendors are supposed to collect UK VAT at point of sale on items under 135 GBP. Which means a lot of the smaller EU businesses are saying they won't ship small items to the UK as they don't want the hassle, and who can blame them?

I'm actally thinking about buying a Matrix cab and importing it from the US. Have you guys seen how much it its to send it via UPS? £139-00
I dread to think how much the import fees are on it lol

Just so I'm understanding, we in the UK now have to pay VAT and customs duty on any purchase made from Europe? Does the VAT also apply to used goods? I went to the UK government website to try and find out, and read this, which is just awesome:

The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules for buying things from Europe now apply. This page is currently out of date.

Since moving from the States back to the UK I've been avoiding buying guitars from the States. I did try and buy one, but it got turned away at the border because the seller had made a mistake on one of the forms. Now it sounds like there's no benefit to buying from Europe versus the States. And the selection in the US is far greater than what's available in Europe.

Thanks for explaining. Well, that sucks.
There is that universal constant, of death and taxes. The taxman will have his pound of your flesh. And he will be very creative at your expense. The EU has now imposed VAT on everything bought outside of the EU. It used to be that anything imported cheaper then €25 would be VAT free. No more. The collective sigh of horror coming from China's Aliexpress was deafening.

Back
Top Bottom