Uplifting/Standing Studio Desk: Anyone Using One in Your Studio?

Warrior

Power User
I am seriously considering using a lifting studio desk so I can get some stand time in when I'm not mixing.

I might purchase the stand/lifting mechanism and build my own desktop.

I was wondering if anyone else is using one in your studio?

If so, which one did you go with and why?

since covid hit and I've been working from home for the last year my studio/work station is the kitchen table. My wife actually bought one of those desks a couple of weeks prior to the start of working from home for me. We do have a spare bedroom I considered using and putting it in there but its too cramped with all the furniture in there. We ended up returning it.

If so, which one did you go with and why?

Last March when the "15-days" turned into AHEM this, I knew that I would need to stand more. So I went to my employer and picked up my Varidesk to continue my 2020 goal of standing 95% of the day (achieved btw ;) ).

I have to tell you, this has been the only way I can fight off increased hip, lower back, and knee pain. Additionally, I was able to keep the weight off by buying a balance "whirlyboard" for additional movement and increased mobility in general.

To answer your question, check out Varidesk. The height adjusters are solid and it is a great design. Overall there is enough real estate to adapt to your mixing station needs.

Hope that helped, cheers!

Standing-Desk.jpg

I got one of these Husky Workbenches, it's been pretty nice. A little annoying to turn the crank to move it up and down, but I keep it up 99% of the time anyway. It's sturdy and looks good, and that bar on the bottom between the legs can be put in the back instead of the middle. I have it on the back, and my FC-12 and EV-1 are comfortably nestled up against it. They come in a variety of configurations if you want a different width or with some drawers, and the wheels seem pretty good. Costs less than half what one of those fancy Uplift desks does, and looks just as good. Also, if I ever want to "upgrade" to a motorized one, I can use this in my garage!

I’ve got one and it’s great! Studio monitors are always the correct height no matter if sitting or standing. I’ve got an Uplift Desk and it's been problem free for 3-4 years. I added the keyboard slide out and a few hooks for headphones and cables underneath to keep things more organized. Large MIDI keyboard also fits on the desk in front of iMac. Please ignore the mess. IMG_5605 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
I might purchase the stand/lifting mechanism and build my own desktop.

I use a 4-leg Uplift desk. Love everything about it except the top. I wanted a solid wood top and I'm cheap so I bought their rubberwood top and it's wearing terribly. I'll probably replace it with a DIY type in the next near. A colleague did a DIY top with just a light stain and it looks fantastic plus it's a full inch thick which is great for mounting stuff to the underside of the top.

Uplift will sell you just the legs and lifting mechanism. I recommend the DIY top route if you can handle the project. It's not terribly hard and I think the results are superior to what you can buy from Uplift for far, far less money.

The 4-leg Uplift is sturdy. Doesn't rock when you type. It also holds a ton of weight so I can pile on monitors, etc. without worrying about burning out the motors.

I got this because I'm full time work-from-home but it turns out that being able to move my desk to standing height is hella convenient when I'm playing guitar. No more stooping over awkwardly to work with the editors on the computer or my DAW.

View attachment 80462

I’ve got one and it’s great! Studio monitors are always the correct height no matter if sitting or standing. I’ve got an Uplift Desk and it's been problem free for 3-4 years. I added the keyboard slide out and a few hooks for headphones and cables underneath to keep things more organized. Large MIDI keyboard also fits on the desk in front of iMac. Please ignore the mess. View attachment 80461

I've been looking at a lot of desks and UPLIFT keeps topping the list.
How's the stability/wobble when standing?

I would probably want to add a larger pull-out tray to accommodate a larger MIDI keyboard, keep my Mac keyboard, etc on top.

I use a 4-leg Uplift desk. Love everything about it except the top. I wanted a solid wood top and I'm cheap so I bought their rubberwood top and it's wearing terribly. I'll probably replace it with a DIY type in the next near. A colleague did a DIY top with just a light stain and it looks fantastic plus it's a full inch thick which is great for mounting stuff to the underside of the top.

Uplift will sell you just the legs and lifting mechanism. I recommend the DIY top route if you can handle the project. It's not terribly hard and I think the results are superior to what you can buy from Uplift for far, far less money.

The 4-leg Uplift is sturdy. Doesn't rock when you type. It also holds a ton of weight so I can pile on monitors, etc. without worrying about burning out the motors.

I got this because I'm full time work-from-home but it turns out that being able to move my desk to standing height is hella convenient when I'm playing guitar. No more stooping over awkwardly to work with the editors on the computer or my DAW.

View attachment 80462

I've seen an excellent review on the 4 legged UPLIFT and it got very high marks. Stability is unbeatable.
I must say I prefer the looks of the 2 leg version and I know the 4 is a higher price point.

Lots to consider.

I'm both a professional musician and a SF/Fantasy writer and I've been using this for the last two years, which sits on my primary desk:

FLEXISPOT M1B Stand Up Desk - 27" Wide Height-Adjustable Standing Desk Riser with Removable Wider Keyboard Tray​

I would probably want to add a larger pull-out tray to accommodate a larger MIDI keyboard, keep my Mac keyboard, etc on top.
If leaning on it or bumping it when high enough for someone 6"1 to stand in front I get a little wobble, but nothing that ever bothered or concerned me. Figuring I've got two big and heavy Focal 8" monitors and a 27" iMac on risers 5 to 7" above the surface, it seems pretty stable to me.

If leaning on it or bumping it when high enough for someone 6"1 to stand in front I get a little wobble, but nothing that ever bothered or concerned me. Figuring I've got two big and heavy Focal 8" monitors and a 27" iMac on risers 5 to 7" above the surface, it seems pretty stable to me.
Are you happy with those Focal monitors?

I use a standing studio desk. The key was using these to keep the monitors at the right height across all settings.
https://isoacoustics.com/iso-200-isolation-stands/

I use an UPLIFT desk with a "solid" bamboo top. I worked very hard to identify the best configuration for this application. Solid as a rock. If you send me a PM, I will let you know what it is. (I would be willing to privately share a photo.) Highly recommended!

plus it's a full inch thick which is great for mounting stuff to the underside of the top.
This will prove to be important for heavy weight stuff. I've got an iron pig of a printer and the table it's on flexes to the point where the paper drawer won't pull unless I slide it around some.

Are you happy with those Focal monitors?
Yes! After going through some KRK, Adam, Yamaha and others in the same general price range, the Focals sounded the best to me. Enough bass and power without a sub to produce some nice cab thump, but not boomy. Sound good at all volumes.

I use a standing studio desk. The key was using these to keep the monitors at the right height across all settings.
https://isoacoustics.com/iso-200-isolation-stands/

I use an UPLIFT desk with a "solid" bamboo top. I worked very hard to identify the best configuration for this application. Solid as a rock. If you send me a PM, I will let you know what it is. (I would be willing to privately share a photo.) I have a referral code that may even get you a discount.
PM sent.
Appreciate the help.

I also use an Uplift (L-shape), and it has been rock-steady. In my configuration I added a keyboard tray under the table top with the MIDI keyboard on top. Further info an pic in this previous post:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...em-and-some-questions-lol.167619/post-2014443

No, but I found, what I consider to be the finest studio equipment from RAB audio....like really, their stuff is amazing, and worth every penny

Back
Top Bottom