Upgrading my DAW Build...

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Open suggestion except for "get a mac" bs. Seriously!
Reasonable upgrade using some already owned parts:
New parts would be:
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11700K processor (8-Core, 16M Cache, 3.6GHz to 5.0GHz) $350.00

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 $329.00 (have gtx 1060 TI already so?)

2 x 16 GB, DDR4, 2400 MHz, dual channel Already have

ASUS Prime Z590-P LGA 1200 (Intel 11th/10th Gen) ATX Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 10+1 Power Stages, 3X M.2, 2.5Gb LAN, Front Panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 USB Type-C, Thunderbolt 4 $153.00

Samsung 500GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSD $65.00 OS and APPS​

Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology for Sample drive

Which drives these days is a rabbit hole, kind of.

Copy and paste from word turns font colors and bold?

So, any suggestions? Don't need the fastest, just need steady and good.
Already have a powerful machine, but hey, who cares.....It's an i7 8700 8th gen 32gb ddr4, etc, etc, etc

You are good. The 1 TB drive will fill up quick with plugins and recordings. I run about 8TB on the studio computer.

Do you game? Otherwise the RTX 3060 is WAY overkill for general use. Integrated graphics is plenty for DAW use.

I don’t think you need a graphics card for DAW use. I’d put the money in the best cput you can get unless you are a closet gamer 🤣

How are some of you guys partitioning your drives.... or dividing them up
between OS, Music Production, and backups and libraries?

Do you game? Otherwise the RTX 3060 is WAY overkill for general use. Integrated graphics is plenty for DAW use.
I don’t think you need a graphics card for DAW use. I’d put the money in the best cput you can get unless you are a closet gamer 🤣
I agree.

Concentrate on CPU &/or RAM... i9 instead of i7?

If you use a lot of Plugins/VI's in your DAW, they can chew up RAM pretty fast. Not so important if your not using many tracks though.
That looks like a nice setup, should be plenty of grunt!

Personally, I've never gone for overclocking (the 5.0GHz figure in your CPU specs) as I prefer stability. OTOH, they have come a long way in easily being able to get the right balance of performance v stability.

Last edited:
I agree.

Concentrate on CPU &/or RAM... i9 instead of i7?

If you use a lot of Plugins/VI's in your DAW, they can chew up RAM pretty fast. Not so important if your not using many tracks though.
That looks like a nice setup, should be plenty of grunt!

Personally, I've never gone for overclocking (the 5.0GHz figure in your CPU specs) as I prefer stability. OTOH, they have come a long way in easily being able to get the right balance of performance v stability.
I have NEVER OC'd anything. I do concentrate on CPU and ram. I have hd 32GB ram for years now. But as mintioned in another reply I WANT the graphics card option. $$$ isn't the issue, well not paramount anyway.

I use Samsung EVO SSD gor OS\apps right now. NVME.2 for sample drive and a good old SATA 1TB for audio. works great here but I have issues. Hence my need to upgrade

Yeah the chip shortage has played hell with the computer hardware market.

It's too bad more audio software can't take advantage of CUDA cores and graphics memory. Then adding a bad ass graphics card could boost your audio performance too.

Last edited:
Yes I was checking (today) prices and availability of GPUS. UNBELEIEVABLE PRICES when you can find the. Hence the thread I started in the lounge looking for PC help\advice....Cheap self promotion, but I am desperate.

Well now I am being pushed due to PC issues but the GPU prices I posted have gone sky high or not available.
You ain’t kidding!!! I’m putting together a new PC build and graphics cards (if you can find them) are easily as much or more than most of the best Intel CPUs right now. Insanity!

I'm probably not a good one to ask as I have about 18 partitions on my main computer right now. Lol. OS always has its own partition on every computer I have every owned. For studio work, libraries have their own partition, as do raw recordings, and finally the mixing area has its own as well. Only SSDs for studio work.

Back
Top Bottom