Upgrading from STD to II

ezvictor

Inspired
How much improvement on the 2 regarding the old amp models like the 800, ac30, Bassman etc...

Also when upgrading firmware, can I skip over a firmware update and just get the newest one?

Very excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I just went from a Standard to a II and I was blown away. It is the same type of setup, except everything is better :) Seems like things sound better out of the box, instead of messing with parameters to get it where you want it.

Yeah, you can go right to the newest firmware.

I'd say the difference is pretty dramatic. The Gen 1 units are great, but the 2 is a different beast entirely. As far as the differences in individual amps, some amps are more dramatic than others between the 1 and the 2. I have a lot of love for the Plexi and Twin models on the Gen 1 units, but didn't really care for the Roland Jazz Chorus or Bassman models. With the 2, the Roland JC and Bassman models are some of my favorite amps of the bunch. So yes, a lot more refinement there.

You should be able to just get the latest firmware update and run it. I use FractalBot. It's very easy.

Nearly all Users who upgrade from Gen1 to Axe-II were positively surprised and excited about the growth of realness and features. Me too.

I was impressed when I moved from my Ultra to the II about a year and a half ago. Since that time, there have been huge improvements with each firmware update. I would think you will be blown away. The dynamics are amazing (especially with FW 11Beta).

I've played with old Fender tube amps from the sixties at the beginning of my "career". They belonged the father of our drummer and I had not the least idea what they're worth way back in 1987. My Ultra had been really nice, but with the II I experience the same "ringing noise" like with the real amps. To be honest, I forgot about that special sound until I heard it again in my II...
When I tweak the basic sounds, I usually do that with headphones (since some weeks a Bang & Olufsen H6, they're the best closed headphones I've heard until now and I know and own Ultrasones, Beyers, Audio Technicas, Sonys, too. Give the H6 a try!!!). Last night I played around with SLO100 with SW 11beta and suddenly stopped for a second without "actively" thinking why in that moment: This was because I was not sure whether it was really me and my old guitar! I've never experienced something like that before!

I love the 1st Gen units having spent a couple years with an Ultra. I can tell you that the II has both more options, and is also EASIER to dial in without venturing into the advanced parameters.

Literally:

mind-blown-2.gif

There are many differences. Some you may not like immediately. I was initially unimpressed with the MK series amps with the II. Until I spent some time dedicated to tweaking those amps. It took me 30 minutes to tweak my II to sound better (IMHO) than my Ultra. Now it takes me just a few minutes. Learning the ropes is pretty easy.

You'll love it for sure!

Back
Top Bottom