Upgrading (drop tuning)

So I'm considering selling my ax8 and other foot pedals for the axe3. I am using a DigiTech drop for different tunings. Do you recommend I keep this pedal or is the pitch block so good I can sell it?

So I'm considering selling my ax8 and other foot pedals for the axe3. I am using a DigiTech drop for different tunings. Do you recommend I keep this pedal or is the pitch block so good I can sell it?
Different opinions on that.

Some people think the Pitch block easily replaces the Drop pedal and others don't.

Probably want to keep it until you see what your own opinion is ;)

Just did the same thing - had an AX8 and a digitech drop and recently upgraded to the AXE-3 (FM3 just wouldn't cut it for me). I dropped in a pitch block and set it to virtual capo. Also changed the listening source to "input 1". With that, I don't find any difference using the axe 3 vs the drop pedal for a semitone or two pitch shift.

I assign Pitch 2 to Control Switch 1. Virtual Capo only and it's set to -1. I Custom name is "Eb." Set Control Switch ON for block on with detuning and Off for block bypassed. Under Controllers - CS per scene - Set the entire CS1 column to LAST.
Program a switch to control switch 1 and you're ready to rock. I play in a coverband, so that's the only tuning trick I need.

I kept my drop in the front of the III. I use it to go a full step down and the pitch block is passable with distortion but clean I can hear the warble in my IEM's.
It's tough to roll off the volume and track the pitch well, so play cleanly when you're on the clean and avoid rolling too much on the vol pot. At least for the Axe pitch tracking. Poly tracking mode and Tracking is set at 5.

What differences are there between the drop tune pedal and virtual capo in terms of sound and latency?

I really have struggled with wanting to permanently downtune one of my guitars but keep having endless debates about which one. I tried the virtual capo and while I love the idea, I didn’t feel as “attached” to the sound and every now and again it sounded like a strange note. I plan on trying it again to get a fresh opinion.

The Digitech drop sounds pretty pretty good in front of the FM3 -/ I am to lazy and never can get the pitch block on FM3 it sound good -/ but that’s most likely me not knowing what I am doing

I've never used The Drop but the virtual capo sounds ridiculous. I play in Drop B and will sometimes use it to go lower or higher on a whim. I'd say keep the pedal for now and sell your other stuff. Once you get the III you can determine whether the pedal still has something that the VC doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom