Upgrading a Mexican Strat

Keg8605

Power User
Hi guys -

Looking for some recommendations on low cost options to upgrade my strat. Its like a 2000 Mexican Standard Strat. Only thing I did to it awhile ago was install a duncan JB in the bridge.

Pickups, Hardware, nut, pots,tuners... what should I start with?

Thanks

I have one from the same year: Sperzel locking tuners, graphite nut, Lace Sensor noiseless Holy Grails (LOVE them), and a Wilkinson bridge. I also put an Acme Guitar Works Tone Shaper in there for kicks but the pots and switches didn't NEED to be replaced. The guitar is killer.

This is my poor man's MIM Gilmour Strat. Duncan SSL1s in the middle and neck positions and an SSL5 in the bridge, Callaham trem and block (floating), short trem arm (love it), Tusq nut and string tree, locking tuners, Gilmour mod toggle switch to add the neck pup to the bridge or bridge & middle, fully shielded with copper foil and star grounded as per GuitarNuts.com.

404712590.jpg

Thanks
You should start with anything you are having challenges with. Modding for the sake of modding is a learning / enjoyment process which is also cool. But unless something seems out of tolerance or quality, there is nothing you need do to a Mexican strat anymore than there is to an American strat. Not with Fender quality anyway. The American and Mexican guitars share so many components (pots, tuners, fret wire etc.. as is.

If it were my own guitar, I would first look at the frets and neck play-ability. Then setup the trem for tuning stability. Pickups are always a good journey as they often change over time and you rarely go wrong with that mod.
Some stock plastic nuts are perfect if setup well. Others need to be replaced. Tusq, Bone, Graphtech etc..all are options but only needed if you have a problem or just have the mod bug. Same with pots. My $2200 Fender Custom shop 52 RI had Alpha pots in it. Same as in the Squier line. They are still in the guitar and they work great.

Bottom line for me (from 27 years as a professional musician) is that nothing needs to be changed or modded with a Tele or Strat unless something needs to be changed or modded. In other words, when it comes to 'parts' guitars form Fender, it really is on a per guitar basis, never on a per 'place of manufacturer' basis. You get gems and duds from each. With other companies, not as much.

That said, both Strats and Teles are easy and fun to mod. Enjoy the process.

First is the guitar worth it,I,ve modded many guitar's,if you spend 500.00 bucks on a 400.00 guitar ,Its still a 400.00 guitar.If the guitar plays nice but you don't like the tone of the pickup's ,start there.In 38 years,I've built many for myself and sold some.Did I mention I'm OCD about guitars.Bottom line for what I've learned,theres alway something that needs to be changed. Its called tone chasing:encouragement:

I bought some pickups off the bay from a guy who hand winds them. The ones I bought were called "Texas magic". He makes all kinds for different styles and they are fairly cheap and get rave reviews. The only thing is you have to wait a month because he has a lot of business. I also upgraded to bigger trem block and now my mim strat sounds great.

Hi guys -

Looking for some recommendations on low cost options to upgrade my strat. Its like a 2000 Mexican Standard Strat. Only thing I did to it awhile ago was install a duncan JB in the bridge.

Thanks

Sell that guitar and buy one that has the mods that you want already done.

Bottom line for me (from 27 years as a professional musician) is that nothing needs to be changed or modded with a Tele or Strat unless something needs to be changed or modded. In other words, when it comes to 'parts' guitars form Fender, it really is on a per guitar basis, never on a per 'place of manufacturer' basis. You get gems and duds from each. With other companies, not as much.

Have to agree with this- I've modded guitars in the past only to wind up with a slightly better dud than I started with. I've grown towards wanting a guitar that's right (or damn close to it) from the start. If I'm not in love with the neck on a guitar, including the frets, I don't mess with it.

This said, I wouldn't discourage you from experimenting with what you have. I would consider pickups first, if you already have a good setup and you like how the pots (volume and tone) respond. I always have my guitars setup by a pro, even if they're new. I think guitars are a sum of the whole though- it starts with a great sounding body and neck and I find it hard to work with a guitar if it's dead or a bit lame to begin with.

If you can, I would go try a bunch of guitars at various shops and see if one jumps out at you. See what it has about it that you like. I've played $300 Fenders that were far better than the Custom Shop hanging near by (doesn't happen often, but it has). You might find one that inspires you better than what you have- may even cost you half of what those mods will add up to. Good luck..

Thanks for all the responses guys. I suppose maybe you are right, i should shop around a little. Thing is I've heard such crap about the newer american standards and such that it seems like even with buying those you end up replacing stuff. I know one thing for sure, I want a nice sounding strat. I do feel as though the biggest flaw in mine is the pickups. with replacing the pickup and bridge you're looking at what like 400? Pretty sure I'd be lucky to get 200-250 for my mim... too.

I'd start by making it a Strat again. (no humbuckers) :D

But seriously it doesn't need much mods. You get what you pay for. Personally I just went for the Classic Player 60s Stratocaster (MIM) so it didn't need mods. It's got Suhr V60LP pickups though...

If the neck feels sticky you can sand it lightly.

Tuning stability is the main problem I guess so maybe block the trem? Good setup.

Back
Top Bottom