Upgraded to QSC CP8's

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Hello, All...

Longtime HeadRush FRFR108 owner, upgraded Feb 1 to a pair of new QSC CP8's. Prior to making this decision, had researched several builders (Yamaha, XiTone, Atomic) and for the current time realized these were a deal. They have a distinctly different frequency response than the HeadRush, and it may be well worth it to re-do my FM9's Output 2 EQ as a flat EQ, simply because the CP8's have 6 separate scenarios that are better suited for the application within my home studio. My HeadRush 108s I'd tweaked a frequency response curve (thanks @WKSmith) but may no longer need the tweaked EQ. I essentially only need the CP8's default scenario, but if these were taken to an open-mic, a separate scenario as a floor monitor is there as well.

The reason I chose these instead of other FRFRs is 1) price point, 2) compact size, and 3) sound quality. Compared to other active speakers (Xitone, Atomic), the CP8's are NOT on par with these speakers, nor should I expect them to be. The CP8's do not have complex onboard electronics with a view screen, nor upgradable firmware.

From what I've read and viewed recently, the QSC K v.2 series had been plagued with wonky older firmware circuit protection issues that QSC has tried to help customers resolve. For that reason, and that it would have cost an extra $600 for the pair of K8.2's to enjoy the frustration that other customers are feeling, I chose the CP8's instead.

This weekend and into next, my schedule is already booked, so it won't be until Monday afternoon a more accurate review can be made. These were purchased from GC, with the HeadRush 108s trade-in value defraying some of the cost plus a discount coupon that knocked $50 off the price of one speaker. Normally, I might have considered FB Marketplace and tried a local sale, but my feeling was that tax season is upon us anyway. Any loss of monies from trade-in will be recouped in tax refund, plus some.

Although not a paid endorsee of QSC, I'd recommend these to anyone who desires to upgrade their FRFRs above entry level but not break the bank with high-end speakers like XiTone or Atomic CLRs.

Now I can enjoy my tea and cookies in peace. If you're thinking, "I'd like a cookie," all you need to do is ask. I put them up beyond reach away from guests, but will happily provide several upon request.​

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing your take on these after you put a few hours on them
😎👍
Thanks, I will. Finally got 'em home but didn't want to yank 'em out of their boxes immediately. Put my stuff away first and then set about unboxing them. The CP8's don't have an underside tightening screw like the FRFR108s did, which means they're free to rotate on the speaker stands. Once you position them with the power and speaker cables, that's how they stay put.

Currently working on a reading assignment, and may find some play time followed by cookies/tea.

Last edited:
QSC CP8 REVIEW:

These active 8" speakers are workhorse speakers, but stand hands above my FRFR108s in sound quality. When they were plugged in, and powered up, the volume was intentionally set at 9 o'clock. At this volume, they were clear sounding with better frequency response, though my Output 2 (the QSC's) EQ was still set for my HeadRush FRFR108s.

That posed a problem, because that frequency response curve was not suited for the QSCs. Consequently, Output 2 parametric EQ curve was flattened (zeroed EQ gain). Doing so improved the sound and tone.

It was still necessary to visit each of my 12 user presets to try to dial in a tone more suited to the QSC's. It was also necessary to increase the QSC's volume by one notch, then one more. Apparently, many of my FM9 presets had been pushing the red within my preset leveling more than desired. While this made for a fatter tone, there was little clean headroom at gain unity that sounded good tone-wise.

Although a good 3-½ hours was spent tweaking settings, I'll need an additional day to adjust FM9 master, level, output level, and QSC output levels. My feeling is that it might be possible to still run my amps' master volumes at 10 for my desired amp tone, and adjust the output level, and preset leveling so that the meters only tickle the red. Currently, preset leveling displays that they're running about 6 to 10 dB red over gain unity, not a wise approach even though the tone is there at these levels.

What may be a good decision is to listen to each preset with preset leveling and dime my guitar knob volume, dialing in my desired saturated tones. Then, verify that my QSC volume is adequate to project to a medium 40' x 24' x 20' room, and set the QSC volume levels there. Otherwise, set my QSC's for existing room level, and determine what level will project to a 40' x 24' x 20' room. Make a note of that, and adjust accordingly during open-mics.

If anyone can suggest how to dial in a speaker response so that one's saturated tones are full and phat, and when one backs off on your guitar volume the tone remains but the amp cleans up at lower guitar volumes, please help solve this problem.

A repost of my reworked Grissom DG30/2x12 will be provided in the FM9 Preset Exchange, not AxeChange. The preset is likely valid for FM9 and Axe III owners, but may need some blocks shunted to accommodate FM3 owners.

Last edited:
I could make an alternative suggestion, which would be to make your presets sound great through OUT1 into studio monitors and your headphones, and use OUT2 Global EQ for any small changes to adapt the CP8 into the room/environment.

This way, you would not need to tailor specific presets, just the global OUT2 EQ only ONCE, then all of the stock presets should sound pretty good out of the box, also any downloaded presets ditto.

I do not wish to disclose how this Homer Simpson Doh! moment (finally) hit me, but you may perhaps wish to give this some consideration.

cheers!

I could make an alternative suggestion, which would be to make your presets sound great through OUT1 into studio monitors and your headphones, and use OUT2 Global EQ for any small changes to adapt the CP8 into the room/environment.

This way, you would not need to tailor specific presets, just the global OUT2 EQ only ONCE, then all of the stock presets should sound pretty good out of the box, also any downloaded presets ditto.

I do not wish to disclose how this Homer Simpson Doh! moment (finally) hit me, but you may perhaps wish to give this some consideration.

cheers!
Thanks, I did the same with my HeadRush 108s and Grado headphones...set Output 1 EQ for headphones and Output 2 EQ for 108s...IIRC, Output 1 matches headphones output...Output 2 was EQ'd for better studio monitor response per @WKSmith's work in this post...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/flattening-the-headrush-curve.175796/

Now, I've got Output 2 for my QSC's, which don't require any added EQing...only Output 1 will...my only concern is, what happens when I might need to connect my FM9 to a mixer and a floor monitor? Do I use Outputs 2 & 3? Wouldn't it be necessary to leave the O3 EQ flat?

IIRC, @WKSmith said he was hoping to list some EQ gradients for various FRFRs. If and when the CP8's make their way to that list, will be making the necessary EQ tweaks accordingly...

Back
Top Bottom