Upgraded from my Ultra

Cmurph240

Hey everyone,

Just grabbed one of these new off the site. I haven't sold my Ultra yet but I've had it for so long it doesn't bother me at all to spend another grand with this company. I've had the ultra for 5 years and always loved it. Very slow to adopt new gear, which I count as a blessing because my bank account would not be able to take the punches ;)

Everyone that has a FM3, if you upgraded from a legacy product, how are you liking the difference in tech as they are pretty different in age. When did the ultra come out? 2007? Ha, anyway I'm thinking of holding onto my ultra while I dial in the new piece of kit. Was anyone moved to sell their old unit after purchasing this one? Any FXII owners that now have an Fm3?

Below is my current set up

Capture+_2022-01-11-08-24-46.png

Thanks,
Connor

I think the form factor of the fm3 is a huge improvement over the classic rack style that was all the rage when the legacy products were in their fighting weight

Should I sell my Ultra to recoup 2/3 of the cost of the FM3 I just bought? Chime in with your thoughts. Anyone miss their old unit ?

Last edited:
I had the Ultra for a bit. Found it to be a pain to add all the pre and post eq\filter blocks to get the tones I was looking for. I have seen the Ultra sell for around $800-900... you might get lucky!

While I've never owned an FAS legacy product, I can speak to owning other modelers: you're probably not gonna ever need it again unless it does something particularly special that you can't live without and that has become an integral part of your rig. Tone-wise, there's no reason to ever plug it back it. There's the nostalgia, which may make it worth keeping, but even then, you'd probably pull it out for a few minutes once a year or so and then put it back away wondering if you should just sell it.

So, once you get the FM3, play it a LOT and keep track of your last day to return it (you won't, but for the sake of argument) and, once you decide to keep it, sell the Ultra and move forward with your new friend for the next 7 years :)

I’d recommend selling it. There’s no point keeping something that is going to collect dust simply because you might use it. Send it out to the universe where it can find a new home with someone who will cherish it.

Last night I was playing beside a friend who bought my old AX8, and who has built his system around it. He gets a great sound from it and he’ll eventually sell it and upgrade. It’s the electronic circle of life.

Last edited:
While I've never owned an FAS legacy product, I can speak to owning other modelers: you're probably not gonna ever need it again unless it does something particularly special that you can't live without and that has become an integral part of your rig. Tone-wise, there's no reason to ever plug it back it. There's the nostalgia, which may make it worth keeping, but even then, you'd probably pull it out for a few minutes once a year or so and then put it back away wondering if you should just sell it.

So, once you get the FM3, play it a LOT and keep track of your last day to return it (you won't, but for the sake of argument) and, once you decide to keep it, sell the Ultra and move forward with your new friend for the next 7 years :)

Well said! 👏 Ugly Bunny 🐰

I was looking for just that tidbit of advice ya dropped in your closing statement. That's a perfect plan. Play play play, keep the ears open (always), and sell the ultra once I decide I have a new baby girl.

👌👌😎

I’d recommend selling it. There’s no point keeping something that is going to collect dust simply because you might use it.

Send it out to the universe where it can find a new home with someone who will cherish it.
I like that last part. Send it out to the universe. Sounds like I'll be doing that once I decide I love the fm3. Obv my ears aren't as sonically precise as others on this forum. I honestly never wanted to upgrade but the small form factor got me

I had the Ultra for a bit. Found it to be a pain to add all the pre and post eq\filter blocks to get the tones I was looking for. I have seen the Ultra sell for around $800-900... you might get lucky!
That would be awesome to practically recoup the cost in full 🤷🏼‍♂️ we shall see.i kept my ultra in really good condition. I've seen some of these online and was stunned by how many people must have just been kicking at their machines in a bit of stucknarut-rage. Being able to honestly offer a excellent conditioning could help there. And having it updated to the newest firmwares

Thanks, man I'm stoked to be part of a more happening forum than the legacy forum. I never really got involved on here bc when first became a member of the forum it was 2020, ha, never was the most tech oriented guy but gotta move with the times a bit. At least to a balance of sorts.

See ya round!

I have the FX III, and FM3, hands down they outshine the ULTRA. I’ve owned the Ultra since 09’ and still use it as part of my Mesa Tremoverb rig loaded down with a BOSS TAE for effects only. Biggest issue I’ve had with the ULTRA was the constant search for that “feeling” when used through FRFR, or a tube/solid state poweramp it most likely came down to operator error, but with CYGNUS my search is done no more trying this, that or GAS for amplification just studio monitors, a powered monitor for gigs or straight to FOH with IEMs.
I am no means an expert on amps, routing, effects and so on, I just wanna play on something that sounds and feels good and the FM3 and FXIII deliver.

Back
Top Bottom