upgrade process

simonp54

Experienced
Sorry... did some searches but couldn't find this so hopefully someone can help me.

What is the approved process for upgrading a firmware when you already have patches and you want to make sure you are getting the latest modifications to parameters...

to expand (trying to be clear)

1) I have presets which I know which parameters I have changed. The other's I have left alone.
2) If I upgrade the firmware do i need to then "reset block" and modify my adjusted parameters...

i have been a bit confused by the rapid updates recently, and just want to check i'm not missing anything.

Not normally. Check the release notes. If there is a major change to modelling - then you need to test after the upgrade, as the changes you have made might not be needed - or a different adjustment might be needed. You only need to reset the block if the release notes state that (rarely).

If its bug fix's and/or the addition of FX/Amp models then nothing else is needed.

Always make a backup first. If there are any of your go-to presets that you feel have changed significantly, you can pretty easily reload the backup, check the settings for those amps, and then reload the newest firmware and recreate those changes. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

To be clear: your presets will remain as they are. The modeling, and deep parameters that are underneath the preset may well change, netting you a different sound than you were expecting (from the old firmware). This is one of the dilemmas of an evolving firmware base - stay up-to-date and have to chronically tweak your patches - or - stay happy at that one firmware level and keep your patches as they are. In other words, don't take the red pill (updates) unless you're ready to get your fingers dirty (edits). This was an issue earlier on, but I think the grand majority prefers the updates over stability. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom