Upgrade from II, not quite as overwhelming this time

Vegard

Got my Axe III and fc-6 this frida. I was on the fm-3 waitlist, but decided the 3 would fit my needs better.

Great service from G66, I was pleased they still have the same people they did when i ordered my Axe II 8 years ago. I remember thinking "What have I done?" when I got my II, sitting in my office with the II, MFC 101 and matrix power amp. The most advanced piece of equipment I had up to that point was a line 6 m9. I felt a bit more prepared this time having used fractal equipment for all my music work since 2012.

I mainly upgraded for usability. Channels, better foot controller and smaller footprint on stage made the decision for me. I had a gig saturday, and decided to go for it. Dialing in presets was a breeze with the new Axe edit. I converted some of Austin Buddys dream rigs presets and used that as a starting point. I must admit I didn't quite understand all the new features, but I made it work somehow. I was planning on mainly using scenes and having some effects on the hold buttons in the scene layout. Turned out i could make a throwback to the m9 by making delay green, modulation blue and drive red to help me remember which buttons did what.

As mentioned I upgraded because of usability, but was really amazed by the sound quality at the gig. Everything just seemed more alive and punchy. Thanks to channels I also had a more diverse sound. Previously most my patches went from crunch to lead, but now I could have everything from clean to lead in the same patch. Overall really happy with the sound, the morgan with a 12db shimmer input boost really blew my mind.

Of course it is a bit of a risk going straight to a gig without really knowing your equipment, and I had a few problems. I had made a patch where i somehow had managed to overwrite the scene layout with per preset functionlality, making it impossible to go back to the preset layout (I have no idea how). Also changing presets was a bit cumbersome as i had to go mlm, preset, mlm, scenes. Oh, and the usb cable is stuck in the axe, really stuck. I've seen some other people have that problem, and it seems to be with the cable. Not sure what to do about that. Maybe I'll just leave it in and pray it will never break. Any tips would be welcome.

I am looking forward to many great years with this unit. Couldn't be happier!

Could anyone tell me if it's possible to make the fc go directly to scenes layout after choosing a preset in the preset layout? I seem to remember having seen that being possible. Thanks!xElVBDrvTESSXmZkAbywbg_thumb_def.jpg
First gig done!

Back
Top Bottom