"Upgrade" from AX8 to Axe-Fx II mkII

AX8 or AXE FX II + Midi foot controller

• Total voters

m37a11

Hi As the title suggests I am considering trading a guitar I don't play much for an Axe FX II mkii. I already have an AX8 but I would be getting the Axe FX II mkii for just under $1k USD.
I am considering the trade to sell the AxeFX II to make some cash, and keep the AX8 however the thought has also crossed my mind of selling the AX8 instead...

- I want something to replace a traditional pedalboard, so I would need to buy a foot controller for the axe fx.
- It would mostly be used at home for tracking guitars
- Sometimes used with 4CM and a tube amp
- maybe used as an amp replacement for jamming in the future.

The AX8 can do all of this stuff now. but...

Axe FX II Pros:
- When tracking guitars having it rack mountable would be nice so I could keep it in the rack on my desk.
- Fewer long cable runs for 4CM.
- More DSP power

Axe FX II Cons:
- Need a separate foot controller
- Loose the amp control knobs

Axe FX II Neutral:
- USB Audio interface ( already have a thunderbolt interface )
- Dual amp/cabs ( probably wont use this )

Anyone have experience using both of these devices want to weight in on anything I am not considering?

Thanks!

aside from the built-in controller, the Axe2 would feel like an upgrade in almost every way. using the Axe-Edit program on the computer, you probably won't miss the amp knobs.

if you can, keep the AX8 for a bit so you can compare the two.

Anyone have experience using both of these devices want to weight in on anything I am not considering?

I bought an Axe-Fx MKI, almost 6 years ago and I recently bought an AX8 and I really like both...a lot!

The Axe-Fx is in a rack and I use it when I want to play with headphones in my den. I also use it with my AC30 connected to Out2, when no one is home. I recently bought a little AC4 to use with my AX8, as a portable solution. I’m hoping to bring the AX8 and AC4 when I get together with friends and play for them...hopefully they’ll want to listen. :cool:

I 99% don’t regret upgrading from ax8 to a 2xl+. I use the extra horsepower to make more capable presets, and I’ve done things like run a second guitarist through the second amp block for recording at rehearsal and stuff like that.

Sometimes I miss the ax8 footswitch functionality, sometimes I just miss the smaller form factor. Although at the end of the day, I had the ax8 and then a rack poweramp, now I just have the same rack and an Mfc on the floor so it’s all pretty much the same anyways.

Unless you need the increased portability, I don’t think you would miss your ax8 at all.

I 99% don’t regret upgrading from ax8 to a 2xl+. I use the extra horsepower to make more capable presets, and I’ve done things like run a second guitarist through the second amp block for recording at rehearsal and stuff like that.

Sometimes I miss the ax8 footswitch functionality, sometimes I just miss the smaller form factor. Although at the end of the day, I had the ax8 and then a rack poweramp, now I just have the same rack and an Mfc on the floor so it’s all pretty much the same anyways.

Unless you need the increased portability, I don’t think you would miss your ax8 at all.

Yeah I am kinda leaning that direction but I just searched used and the MFC is about $400-500 yikes! Given that extra expense, the axe II might not be such a deal after all...

Yeah I am kinda leaning that direction but I just searched used and the MFC is about $400-500 yikes! Given that extra expense, the axe II might not be such a deal after all...

Yeah for that kind of money I would get either an FM3 and an additional controller or just go straight to the III

I would say to keep the AX8... I went from the AX8 to the Axe FX II, and it feels about the same tone wise, but miss the easy foot switch editing. The only plus that I have seen is the 2nd pitch block... not really a game changer for me.

I have both units too. I bought the axe II first and only recently the AX8. Both are great. I just quickly run into CPU problems because I try to make it do what the axe does. Soundwise I have no complaints. I do miss dual amps and I also miss the "full" pedalboard thing. Both are small probs. But on the axe II I have a lot of " stompboxes" in the signal chain that I can turn on and off. The ax* can't handle that, so I have to make choices. And I hate having to make choices haha.
I Do love the portability of the ax8, although it doesn't make too much of a difference for me because the pedalboard of the AX8 with 3 cc pedals is the same size as my mfc board (also 3 cc pedals) Only difference is one rack case to carry...
The sound options of the mfc and the AXE ansd the easy access of those options on stage are waaay bigger than with the AX8, but only important if that is what you are into. (like me)

So, although I realize this maybe didn't help you decide, it may give an extra insight.

Harm

I have both units. The main pro of the AX8 is clearly the portability, but the AX8 for my use, sometimes is lacking to much on DSP power (shifter tracking, dual reverbs, dual delays ecc...) and also it doesn't have the dual amp feature.

I use the AX8 for rehearsal and small gigs and it's fine, but the FXII is better imho. If you have simple patches you probably always go well with the AX8.

In studio recording sessions the FXII can be a way better unit with a lot more possibilities.

The Axe2 sounds significantly better because the Ares FW update for the II was phenomenal. I doubt this is ever coming to the AX8. Plus it can just do so much more. If portability is not the issue and you have the funds to get the II but cannot afford to keep both, it is a no-brainer IMHO.

The Axe2 sounds significantly better because the Ares FW update for the II was phenomenal. I doubt this is ever coming to the AX8. Plus it can just do so much more. If portability is not the issue and you have the funds to get the II but cannot afford to keep both, it is a no-brainer IMHO.
Significantly better? Not sure about that.

It’s an opinion and yes, I’m sure about it.
+1, not even close as Ares 1.03 for Axe II adds a lot of upgraded tube circuit realism.

If you're familiar with tube circuits you'll enjoy the Axe II Ares 1.03 combination a lot more, though if you're not familiar with tube circuits perhaps not?

Back
Top Bottom