upgrade firmeware on MFC101

I'm intensely frustrated as I can't for the life of me update my MFC to 2.01. I'm trying to use the Axe an a MIDI interface as I don't have/need MIDI for anything else.

I'm not a MIDI moron but I'm feeling like one right now. I've been doing stuff with MIDI since it first came out.

I've followed the instruction posted, read the release notes, read the manual, WIKI, 2.01 update txt file... no luck.

1) On the AXE UNIT turned "send realtime sysex" OFF
2) On Axe turned USB adapter mode ON
3) Connected Axe MIDI output to MFC MIDI input
4) Powered Axe OFF then on back
5) Using AC adapter power MFC ON while pressing footswitch #1, and unit powers up with "FW Update Mode" on display.
6) Use Snoize sysex librarian to send mfc101.sys file (dated April 24, 2012) to MFC.

Snoize sends file and reports "done" Nothing happens on MFC.

MIDI cable is known to be good as it controls Axe in normal operation.

Both Axe and MFC are set to MIDI channel 1.

On Axe should MIDI Thru be ON or OFF? I've tried it both ways.
Any setting in Axe Edit that I may need to look at?

HELP....

After sitting there for about ten minutes powered on from my last attempt I'm seeing and "Error 18"and "Invalid OP code: 08" on the MFC.
Don't feel too bad.. you are not alone -- and I'm supposed to know what I'm doing with this stuff. Back before I had an Axe-II, I would try to upgrade the MFC firmware over midi -and I would try and try and try. Since I was testing multiple beta releases, it was REALLY frustrating to try 30 times before it "took". I have simply given up on trying MFC firmware upgrades thru the Axe-II (over USB). It simply will NOT work for me. Being one of the first testers to try that approach, it was frustrating as is SHOULd WORK FINE!
I can get it to go to 99% - then no further. EVER !!! Power cycling shows the old MFC firmware version. The fact that it CAN and IS working for many is encouraging, but given the variety of hardware out there along with issues reported by folks in other FAS forum areas, it's difficult to nail down to being a FAS bug. I see similar issues with things like sending Factory Banks. Works fine for me but fails miserably for others. I've been there.. and felt the frustration.

I still have/USE my UNO and Anniv 2x2 for other midi stuff and upgrade (backup) my MFC using one of them and the C6 Midi filer.

If you are following the steps given and it is not working, try reducing the buffer size. I failed a few times till I found the post that recommended using half of the default buffer in Midi-ox and it worked. After you get the complete message you have to restart it holding the #17 switch down to reset it then it should work.

yes,yes, did it again, FW UPDATE COMPLETE
thanks to all,
followed steps of GVOLP / thread ""MFC Error 14 on""

I was getting the error 18 message and realized that I had Axe edit running.
I quit Axe edit, restarted my computer, and the firmware update went flawlessly.
This is one AWESOME system we have here... :p
Thanks FAS!!!!!

I frankly am having issues with this once again updating to MFC 2.15 the problem appears to be that I cannot change the destination in Midi OX Sysex Librarian. I do not have a choice to change the destination path. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. I want to be able to do this easily every time there is an update. All other settings and steps I have completed using Yek's suggestions. Thanks much.

does your Destination only give you the option for "Act as a source for other programs"?

if so, it means that your computer can not see your midi interface, which interface are you using?

EDIT: Your interface is probably the Axe-FX II, given the thread history.

Last edited:
you guys missed one step. On the AXE II, after you set real time controllers to none and turn on USB mode...you have to got to park the AXE II on the UTILITIES: PRESET page to be sure midi from the unit is silent. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom