upgrade firmeware on MFC101

Maurice

Inspired
Simple question
When new firmware will be released...
A firmware update for 6.0 is by labtop -> AxeFX2 via USB connected.
Axe Edit, downloading straight into my labtop.
However for my MFC 101, to do the upgrade, i have to go by MIDI cable .....
But unfortunately i don't have a labtop with midi connectivity / interface.

Is it possible somehow to go through Axe Edit -> via AxeFX2 -> to the MFC101, to upgrade the firmware for the MFC 101, by Ethernet cable ?

Maybe the answer will be a simple -> no

But than i will have to work with USB connectivity, Ethernet connectivity and Midi connectivity to effect firmware updates in a "matched" system.
Where as one kind of connectivity should be enough in these modern times ?

Keep up the good work, Thanks.

From the WIki

To upgrade using the Axe-Fx II as a USB-to-MIDI MIDI adapter: Source
  1. Connect the Axe-Fx II to your computer, through USB.
  2. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to NONE, and UsbAdapterMode to ON.
  3. Power down the Axe-Fx II.
  4. Remove the CAT-5 cable between Axe-Fx II and MFC-101.
  5. Connect the Axe-Fx II's MIDI-OUT to the MFC-101's MIDI-IN with a 5-pin MIDI cable.
  6. Connect the power supply to the MFC-101.
  7. Power on the Axe-FX II.
  8. Power on the MFC-101 while holding down footswitch 1 (enters firmware update mode).
  9. Send the new firmware with a MIDI librarian, such as MIDI-OX or SysEx Librarian, from your computer to the Axe-Fx II.
  10. Power down the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II.
  11. Remove the MIDI cable and reconnect the CAT-5 cable.
  12. Power on the Axe-Fx II.
  13. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to the desired value, and UsbAdapterMode to OFF.

Yeks MFC-101 How-Tos page - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

I too have an Axe FX II and tried to update the MFC 101 to the new firmware unsuccesfully several times. I downloaded the firmware update and got as far as powering up the MFC 101 while holding down Button #1, As i power it up i see "firmware update" for second and then it says "Error 18" any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to using the MFC with the AXE FX II.

Oh one last thing I sold my ultra after I bought the MFC 101 so the version of firmware I have is not compatible with the Axe FX II. Do I need to use a midi interface to do this firmware update? PLEASE HELP

Oh one last thing I sold my ultra after I bought the MFC 101 so the version of firmware I have is not compatible with the Axe FX II. Do I need to use a midi interface to do this firmware update? PLEASE HELP

:roll Looking up 2 posts above yours at Dojo's

Here we are again, and stuck upgrading the mfc101. (after succesfully upgrading 6.0 and Axe Edit)
I followed the whole procedure from Dojo and Cobbler on wiki (thanks)
Going from pc Axe Edit/via USB to Axe2 -midi cable - ,into MFC as described above....however
A) As soon the USB axe2 is detected, in Axe Edit, in ''settings'' my midi buffer delay turns to 0 automaticaly, where is should be 90 ms
i fake this by setting ''midi in'' to `none`, ''midi out '' to `axe fx` - and transmitting my sys file - pressing 1 on mfc-''firmware update'' -up to '' 100% complete '' on the reading of the mfc
There it ends, i don't read "" FW update complete"
I power down and power up, says: Error 14
i tried many times but same results
Also i tried a ""factory default settings reset" but mfc does not respond to anything, only ` Error 14`
So in fact my mfc is stuck.l
What to do? is there a kind of hard reset? take the backup battery out ?
I become a bit desperate, but dont give up

I too have an Axe FX II and tried to update the MFC 101 to the new firmware unsuccesfully several times. I downloaded the firmware update and got as far as powering up the MFC 101 while holding down Button #1, As i power it up i see "firmware update" for second and then it says "Error 18" any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to using the MFC with the AXE FX II.

mine did this about 7 times, after retrying it finally worked....

Here we are again, and stuck upgrading the mfc101. (after succesfully upgrading 6.0 and Axe Edit)
I followed the whole procedure from Dojo and Cobbler on wiki (thanks)
Going from pc Axe Edit/via USB to Axe2 -midi cable - ,into MFC as described above....however
A) As soon the USB axe2 is detected, in Axe Edit, in ''settings'' my midi buffer delay turns to 0 automaticaly, where is should be 90 ms
i fake this by setting ''midi in'' to `none`, ''midi out '' to `axe fx` - and transmitting my sys file - pressing 1 on mfc-''firmware update'' -up to '' 100% complete '' on the reading of the mfc
There it ends, i don't read "" FW update complete"
I power down and power up, says: Error 14
i tried many times but same results
Also i tried a ""factory default settings reset" but mfc does not respond to anything, only ` Error 14`
So in fact my mfc is stuck.l
What to do? is there a kind of hard reset? take the backup battery out ?
I become a bit desperate, but dont give up

I've never heard of anybody using AxeEdit to update the MFC101, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. However, as stated in Dojos post at step #9, the recommended approach for sending the MFC-101 firmware is via a midi-librarian, such as MIDI-OX, in which case you do have the flexibility of configuring the buffer size and transmission speed.

Will your MFC101 still enter firmware update mode when pressing switch #1 on startup? If so, I suggest repeating the procedure but using a midi librarian as I mentioned above.

Sounds like you might be using the AxeFx to do the update. Change IO->MIDI->"Send Realtime SysEx" to None, then try again.

Edit: sorry, didn't see the previous suggestion by Dojo. Carry on and good luck! :)

Last edited:
Thanks kaos7
Yes i did the "send realtime sysex"" to none, as suggested by Dojo.
And the only thing works on the mfc = press #1 at start up - "firmware update"
I dont have a midi librarian
I copy the mfc101 sys file into the workspace-axe edit-firmware. from there it is transmitted through axfx2 via midi cable to mfc
Then mfc says "" 100% complete"" but after reboot " Error 14""
Anybody any suggestions ?

Just updated mine.

Couldnt find my PSU so I had to use the RJ45 cable from the AXE II for power.

Connected a midcable from the pc to MIDI IN on the MFC

In the midi OX i chose the midiout from the pc - NOT the AXE. Then followed the guides from here....

It worked fine

Greetings

AAEN

I had the exact same thing and I just kept trying with the same set of params see post here, and it finally worked. Good luck.

Thanks kaos7
Yes i did the "send realtime sysex"" to none, as suggested by Dojo.
And the only thing works on the mfc = press #1 at start up - "firmware update"
I dont have a midi librarian
I copy the mfc101 sys file into the workspace-axe edit-firmware. from there it is transmitted through axfx2 via midi cable to mfc
Then mfc says "" 100% complete"" but after reboot " Error 14""
Anybody any suggestions ?

i just downloaded MIDI OX, and are going to give it a try,
thanks to your link above, thanks for your help GVOLP
Will revert when done

I'm an absolute dolt when it comes to this type of updating, and after the last 3 hours of trying to update the MFC without a midi device other than the AXEII, I'll be watching here for your success story, hahaha!!

I too downloaded OX, but, as I mentioned I'm a midi moron and need someone to hold my hand through this,..lol...

Correction....I'm still very much a midi dolt mind you, but thanks to gvolps step by step post in "MFC error 14 thread"(finally got it)..post#9, it worked perfectly...finally..

Thanks to all offering insight here, and shout out to cobbler as well for your help too!!!

I'm intensely frustrated as I can't for the life of me update my MFC to 2.01. I'm trying to use the Axe an a MIDI interface as I don't have/need MIDI for anything else.

I'm not a MIDI moron but I'm feeling like one right now. I've been doing stuff with MIDI since it first came out.

I've followed the instruction posted, read the release notes, read the manual, WIKI, 2.01 update txt file... no luck.

1) On the AXE UNIT turned "send realtime sysex" OFF
2) On Axe turned USB adapter mode ON
3) Connected Axe MIDI output to MFC MIDI input
4) Powered Axe OFF then on back
5) Using AC adapter power MFC ON while pressing footswitch #1, and unit powers up with "FW Update Mode" on display.
6) Use Snoize sysex librarian to send mfc101.sys file (dated April 24, 2012) to MFC.

Snoize sends file and reports "done" Nothing happens on MFC.

MIDI cable is known to be good as it controls Axe in normal operation.

Both Axe and MFC are set to MIDI channel 1.

On Axe should MIDI Thru be ON or OFF? I've tried it both ways.
Any setting in Axe Edit that I may need to look at?

HELP....

After sitting there for about ten minutes powered on from my last attempt I'm seeing and "Error 18"and "Invalid OP code: 08" on the MFC.

I got the same message: "Error 18" ""invalid OP code 08" on the MFC
Though still working on it......will follow GVOLP suggestions, as i see Woyote had succes

I too was getting the Error 18,..but with a few tries I was able to get the MFC to stay on the "Update Mode" display. It just took a few hold #1's and apply power(s), but once I got the "Update mode" display I stopped there.

I also started from scratch as far as the MFC was concerned, totally removing the MFC update I had installed and started from the beginning, re-downloading MFC update.

I then followed gvolps steps 100%, and luckily for me it finally worked. I was literally hours on this part of the new update.

NY guitarist, I did not change any of the midi settings in the MFC whatsoever when it had success.

I think a problem adding to it all was, I had done too many tweaks here and there and was compounding my issues by having too many wrong things changed....thus my starting fresh from the beginning.

I really hope you guys get it sorted soon, and get this badass update kicking!!! I understand your frustration!!!

A happy person here, i've done it and it worked, now can start reprogramming in 6.0 at last...................................
Great thanks to GVOLP and others, i followed your instruction step by step, second time hit the jackpot - update firmware completed
All as described in the tread ""MFC Error 14""

Dear dear Fas Team, you do a great job, but please make an update by catcable possible in future.
Keep up the great work

Back
Top Bottom