Upgrade Backup question

zhguitar

So I read a lot of threads regading this but I am anxious about it so I am double checking.

I am upgrading from an Axe FX 2(original) to the Axe Fx XL+

In order to save presets from the 2 and import them into the XL+, I use Fractal Bot to save the Sysex files and then import in the XL+.

I can save the entire bank(s) and then individually import the presets I want into the XL+.

Is it that simple or am I missing something?

I understand that the tone may vary and global settings won't transfer but it's the effects that I am after and I can tweak the new amp tones to get close enough.

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to load XL presets with no problem.

But if it’s just the effects you’re after, why not save them to the block library? Then you can load them whenever and wherever you want.

Thanks for your reply.
I am after the entire preset. It's just that those have already been recorded so the tone doesn't have to match exact.
I am getting ready for a new project and may use some of those presets but I want to have them available to play the songs live.

Understood. Yes, the presets should load fine. And there's always FracTool. :)

Either way, if you want to have favorite dialed-in effects available for any preset, consider the block library.

I was able to migrate directly from a mkII to an XL+ a few months back... However, after doing so all my presets were 12dB quieter.

I then used FracTool which solved that issue... Still no idea what caused it, but FracTool is awesome for moving stuff from backups, between hardware models, etc.

Also, note that if you use Global blocks at all that the settings for global blocks is NOT saved in the presets, it is saved in system settings and there is no way to transfer that.

In my case, I used Axe Edit to save my global blocks as saved blocks and then import into a preset and save.

Got it. No problem. I backed up banks and then individual presets. It was easier to do individual presets and arrange them as I imported.
Really was easy.

I was able to migrate directly from a mkII to an XL+ a few months back... However, after doing so all my presets were 12dB quieter.

I then used FracTool which solved that issue... Still no idea what caused it, but FracTool is awesome for moving stuff from backups, between hardware models, etc.

Similar situation here. I just moved from MkI to XL+. I matched system settings by comparing the MkI to the XL+ (nothing worth mentioning there) and then imported a backup of Bank A and all of my cabs just as they were in the backup. Oddly enough, a few key presets have the wrong cabs. I figured out that all the ones with the wrong cabs point to F164: 4x12 Citrus 160 C when they should point to U032: OH 412 MAR-CB-H75-PR OH1F-2. Or at least that's what Fractool reports and from what I recall that User slot number sounds right. Even after selecting U32 and a few others around that range, it still sounds thin. I checked amp/cab settings in Fractool from the original bank backup. All settings are the same. No idea whats going on. I'm going to unpack my old Axe tomorrow and see whats there.

Similar situation here. I just moved from MkI to XL+. I matched system settings by comparing the MkI to the XL+ (nothing worth mentioning there) and then imported a backup of Bank A and all of my cabs just as they were in the backup. Oddly enough, a few key presets have the wrong cabs. I figured out that all the ones with the wrong cabs point to F164: 4x12 Citrus 160 C when they should point to U032: OH 412 MAR-CB-H75-PR OH1F-2. Or at least that's what Fractool reports and from what I recall that User slot number sounds right. Even after selecting U32 and a few others around that range, it still sounds thin. I checked amp/cab settings in Fractool from the original bank backup. All settings are the same. No idea whats going on. I'm going to unpack my old Axe tomorrow and see whats there.
The XL+ has more factory cabs than the Mk I.

The Mk I has 132 factory cabs. After that, the user cabs start. So user cab 1 on the Mk I works out to factory cab 133 on the XL+.

On the XL+, there are 189 factory cabs. Then the user cabs start.

So yes, user cab 32 on the Mk I is factory cab (132 + 32 = 164) on the XL+.

And yes again: if you want to use your user cabs on your new rig, you have to transfer them over. :)

Ah, gotcha. I assumed the user cab section of the memory was a separate partition and would've started from 001.

And yes again: if you want to use your user cabs on your new rig, you have to transfer them over. :)

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. I imported a backup of Bank A (my user presets) as well as a Backup of my User Cabs.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. I imported a backup of Bank A (my user presets) as well as a Backup of my User Cabs.
In that case, you just need to point the cab block to the correct user cab, and you’re golden.

Ah yeah. Done that but as I said in my OP, something is definitely different. Fractool has been a huge help in digging through the original preset so I can compare settings but something is still off. I'll pull out the MkI Axe tomorrow and do some comparisons. I only have about 3 presets that I use extensively so luckily it's not a lot of work.

Ah yeah. Done that but as I said in my OP, something is definitely different. Fractool has been a huge help in digging through the original preset so I can compare settings but something is still off. I'll pull out the MkI Axe tomorrow and do some comparisons. I only have about 3 presets that I use extensively so luckily it's not a lot of work.
Do you use global blocks?

Actually no. I just save blocks to the library that I know I'll use again. However, I did find the problem. It was a PEQ block that didn't translate. I'm assuming since PEQ's in Axe MkI's do not have X/Y options but the XL+'s do, it set the PEQ block to it's default values.

It was a PEQ block that didn't translate. I'm assuming since PEQ's in Axe MkI's do not have X/Y options but the XL+'s do, it set the PEQ block to it's default values.
Or maybe a Y setting that had nowhere to go.

Anyway, nice catch.

I noticed the same with the Comp block. Any idea if this is known as an issue or is this to be expected since we're going from a non x/y block to a new x/y block type.

Oddly enough the Factory Preset "East Wes" has a Studio Comp block that translated properly. But my personal presets where I added a Studio Comp block did not translate properly.

Last edited:
I noticed the same with the Comp block. Any idea if this is known as an issue or is this to be expected since we're going from a non x/y block to a new x/y block type.

Oddly enough the Factory Preset "East Wes" has a Studio Comp block that translated properly. But my personal presets where I added a Studio Comp block did not translate properly.
So you loaded with FracTool or FractalBot / Axe Edit?

If FracTool, sounds like a potential bug... I would assume the blocks with no X/Y in mkI and mkII would default to X on XL.

I loaded bank A (my user presets) with Fractal Bot. And to take it a step further, in Axe Edit, I loaded a PEQ block from the Library that was created with the Axe II (MKI) and it didn't translate correctly.

After going through all of my presets, Comps and PEQ blocks did not translate at all. I checked both X and Y to see if possibly they were moved to Y. Unfortunately not.

I loaded bank A (my user presets) with Fractal Bot. And to take it a step further, in Axe Edit, I loaded a PEQ block from the Library that was created with the Axe II (MKI) and it didn't translate correctly.

After going through all of my presets, Comps and PEQ blocks did not translate at all. I checked both X and Y to see if possibly they were moved to Y. Unfortunately not.
Ok... I think FracTool tries to do something "sane"... Pretty sure my Compressor settings were right after I migrated using it, but it's been updated since I used it.

You could try using FracTool to reload and see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom