Upfront sound?

I remember back when I had a Marshall JCM900 I bought a Soldano HOTMOD its a fat tube you stuff in the preamp stage and it basically made your amp badass. It really did have a way of bringing your tone forward
hotmod1.jpg

ok so here is a good example of a upfront nice sound I want to get
this is a really cool guy who does fractal audio demo amps but the tone is super good and clean
if anyone could shed some light on how to get this sound, the first amp example. its loud , crunchy and just good all around.

ok so here is a good example of a upfront nice sound I want to get
this is a really cool guy who does fractal audio demo amps but the tone is super good and clean
if anyone could shed some light on how to get this sound, the first amp example. its loud , crunchy and just good all around.

Here's how you get that up-front sound in the video:

1) Pick your favorite heavy preset tone in your Axe-Fx.

2) Get a good bass player who hits on pretty much every chug you play.

3) Mix in a drummer with a fast, solid kick.

Seriously, if you take away (2) and (3), there's lots of stuff in the Axe that is just as up-front.

I have a pretty good patch now, but some how its not as big / punchy sounding .. this is hard for me to explain. Ia m not sure what I am missing to get this better

The soldano is the most expressive medium gain lead amp in the entire box imo. It’s on my to do list to try to get a double amp preset going using the soldano and maybe pair it with a triaxis to bring in some smoother compressed gain.
I have a patch you might be interested in. Forgot where I got it, but it is what you are describing.

I Can't stress enough experimenting with various IR's as many are miked from the front, side or room. You will find some that fit your needs for sure!!

I Can't stress enough experimenting with various IR's as many are miked from the front, side or room. You will find some that fit your needs for sure!!
I have a pretty good patch going now but I think it still can be better, soon as I am able I'm getting a CLR Neo II hehe just saw that on your profile.

Here's how you get that up-front sound in the video:

1) Pick your favorite heavy preset tone in your Axe-Fx.

2) Get a good bass player who hits on pretty much every chug you play.

3) Mix in a drummer with a fast, solid kick.

Seriously, if you take away (2) and (3), there's lots of stuff in the Axe that is just as up-front.
Hit the nail on the head.
Obviously, to each their own, but to me that first tone is way too scooped. We call that Rasin Bran Tone, “Too Scoops”
Especially live, if you try & pull that off, chances are you’re guitar is going to disappear into oblivion. The framework is there but imo it definitely would benefit from some added mids content, it’d give some more definition to what’s being played.
Anyway, to the point of #2 on the list, this makes a tremendous difference on how “heavy” a guitar sounds. That can not be overstated enough.

Back
Top Bottom