Updating to 8.0

Maybe you have to restore the bank A patches to the factory ones?
I remember a no sound problem one time ago after i upgraded FW, i had to reset the amp and save the patch to restore the sound.

P.s. I am a bit hesitant to upgrade to 8 after reading this, my axe is far-far away from its Fractal home...

Fortunately, I spoke to Sean Ashe about the upgrade before getting it installed, but I was sold at the fact that the Badger was improved, so the update turned up normal with no hickups, and YES! The Badger sounds sweet! I think this works as computers, it might fail, but once you got your system clean, it works perfectly. There's an improvement with the treble output, and I corroborated it with my Carvin, which having an ebony fretboard, really shines treble. And the patches I had setup for my other guitars didn't match well with this Carvin, now they all sound overall nice swapping from my ESP, to the Carvin and the Schecter, since the treble has been reworked on some level.

Also been trying the harmonizer modes with the new tracking that was improved as well, and I have to say I was pretty blown away with a setting did for the Whammy. Just as I did with my old pedals, a good distortion into the whammy, and then into the amp, so that i got a growling lead whammy tone. Now, simulating that same setup, I got very similar results!!! Small misunderstanding between the Pod xt live's 0 point on the exp pedal, but anyhow, it sounds and feels really close to the actual whammy, with the beautiful possibility of taking it out of your chain, true bypass. What more can you ask for? You get the whammy, without the whammy toneloss. And without paying for the whammy, nor the mod (which can get pretty expensive, and voids your warranty)

Also, the tuner is just perfect, smooth tracking, no jumping whatsoever, and works great with offsets as well.
Haven't tried the other new amps, stuck on the Badger for a little while.

Soundclouds or you-tubes coming soon!!!

Radley, did you have the Axe connected to a computer with Axe Edit running on it when you rebooted the Axe? I had sound dropping out when switching presets after updating to 8.0. It disappeared when I closed Axe Edit.

I was able to update in a few minutes via Axe-edit USB connection. No issues other than I tried the pitch block detuned to -4 and there were some popping until I shut down Axe Edit. Overall, I love the improved pitch block and the tuner.

Same issue here -- no sound when first turned on after firmware 8.0 update. If I changed preset from 59 Bassguy to any other preset, sound retured, even when I went back to 59 Bassguy.

Mac v10.7.4
Updated firmware with Axe-Edit v1.1.317

Opened up 59 Bassguy -- changed Comp from 0.0 to 0.2 -- saved preset. Now it works fine on every power cycle.
Went back and changed Comp to 0.0 -- saved preset -- All is well

Hope this helps

Jenks

I have something similar, but it's specific to powering up with any '59 Bassguy preset active (factory, from scratch, etc). I've tried switching another patch's amp model to a '59, and the silent-on-bootup starts up again with that patch.

For anyone curious, I've reflashed the FW a second time, uploaded fresh V7 factory bank files, haven't used AxeEdit on V8 (except for the FW upgrade itself and later bank file transfers). I've done everything except call support :D It's relatively minor, I think. Though if I was a heavy '59 Bassman user, I might feel differently. ;) I'm just trying to provide good solid info.

would love to hear soundcloud or youtube clips of the new improved badger!!!!

Fortunately, I spoke to Sean Ashe about the upgrade before getting it installed, but I was sold at the fact that the Badger was improved, so the update turned up normal with no hickups, and YES! The Badger sounds sweet! I think this works as computers, it might fail, but once you got your system clean, it works perfectly. There's an improvement with the treble output, and I corroborated it with my Carvin, which having an ebony fretboard, really shines treble. And the patches I had setup for my other guitars didn't match well with this Carvin, now they all sound overall nice swapping from my ESP, to the Carvin and the Schecter, since the treble has been reworked on some level.

Also been trying the harmonizer modes with the new tracking that was improved as well, and I have to say I was pretty blown away with a setting did for the Whammy. Just as I did with my old pedals, a good distortion into the whammy, and then into the amp, so that i got a growling lead whammy tone. Now, simulating that same setup, I got very similar results!!! Small misunderstanding between the Pod xt live's 0 point on the exp pedal, but anyhow, it sounds and feels really close to the actual whammy, with the beautiful possibility of taking it out of your chain, true bypass. What more can you ask for? You get the whammy, without the whammy toneloss. And without paying for the whammy, nor the mod (which can get pretty expensive, and voids your warranty)

Also, the tuner is just perfect, smooth tracking, no jumping whatsoever, and works great with offsets as well.
Haven't tried the other new amps, stuck on the Badger for a little while.

Soundclouds or you-tubes coming soon!!!

As I mentioned on this thread on Sep 14, I decided to wait a bit before upgrading to 8.01.a. I decided to try the move today. I uninstalled all the Fractal components and downloaded fresh softwares : driver, Axe Edit 1.0.317 (latest one according to FAS web site) and the 8.01.a firmware. I also decided to use a brand new USB cable I bought especially for this. I am using a very recent VAIO with Windows XP; MFC101 was not connected to the Axe when I tried the upgrade. There was no other program opened of the laptop.
Before anything I tried to sync my presets, just in case. Impossible to sync anything : the operation stops at 1 or 2% and nothing move any more. I tried to sync Bank A only, then Banks, B only, … no improvement and no sync.
I decided to try it anyway … I launched the firmware upgrade. It took about 20 minutes and I got two messages: (1) Transfer error and (2) CPU usage excess (flashing message). Preset on the Axe at the moment of the upgrade uses 84%CPU, not more. Then as I recalled another preset, the screen went blank for about 5’ and then the Axe returned to its initial setting … (Which at least is very acceptable as I believe FW7 is great to say the least).
Conclusion: I still enjoy FW7 and my presets, and I am happy with these,… but find myself trapped in FW7 and with no safety on my presets (no sync possible anymore). As I have no way to restore my presets in case of an accident, I am obviously reticent to go for an Axe reset.
Is this linked to current Axe Edit, so I need to wait for the new release? Am I missing something? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom