Updating to 8.0

For now, I'm going to 'leave things be' until there is more info on the problem - I'm glad I am not alone on this. I am trusting that Fractal will be 'on the case' soon... :) If all else fails, I can do the TV shows & such with my GT-8.

So you just get a new Eprom from Fractal and load the 8.0 firmware again? Are my presets OK?

Last edited:
So you just get a new Eprom from Fractal and load the 8.0 firmware again? Are my presets OK?

No one knows that is an EPROM problem at this point just work with support. If, and I say if, you will need a new EPROM you will need to load your preset back from a backup.

G66 once told me the EPROM system has changed. Not sure how, but I think you can't just change it out anymore; might be soldered to the board?
It's supposed to be way more foolproof than it was (and that does seem to be the case).

There is no Eprom in th II as there were in the Ultra/standard.
Must be a chip on the board now.

Radley, contact support. They will set you up and get you running fast. They can't help you if you don't contact them. They don't troll the forum looking for issues to help with. If you had contacted them straight away you'd be already running by now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

There is no Eprom in th II as there were in the Ultra/standard.
Must be a chip on the board now.

They were sending out replacement ones as of august of this year. Do a search. The procedure may have changed on how to do it or a revision to the board may have been made since then.

This is why it is important to contact support to have them work through these issues.

My II updated OK, but it did take an unusually LONG time...if I had to guess I would say 20 minutes.

Usual time would be around 5 to 7 minutes for me.

I thought for sure it wasn't going to take, but after reboot 8.0 was there.

Mine has taken 20 mins for the last 4 or 5 updates, allways before was very fast ? 8.0 seems to work fine for me!

Just an update, I was able to upload all my patches from my backup and it seems to have settled down and for now all is good! Thanks to Matt for the input and timely responses!

Same issue here -- no sound when first turned on after firmware 8.0 update. If I changed preset from 59 Bassguy to any other preset, sound retured, even when I went back to 59 Bassguy.

Mac v10.7.4
Updated firmware with Axe-Edit v1.1.317

Opened up 59 Bassguy -- changed Comp from 0.0 to 0.2 -- saved preset. Now it works fine on every power cycle.
Went back and changed Comp to 0.0 -- saved preset -- All is well

Hope this helps

Jenks

I sent emails to both Matt & Cliff as soon as the problem developed - I also posted here on the board to see if there was an 'easy fix' I could try in the meantime. I am awaiting a response from support.

I tried to update to 8.0 one hour ago. After about 20 minutes I got the flashing "not enough resources" message at the very end of the transfer. I am reluctant to start a second try as I have no idea on what the problem is. As I read your posts, it seems that guys having successfully updated finally got the no-sound problem solved. But I did not see anyone having got the "not enough resource" message in the first place got a solution after a subsequent sucessfull transfer. Will wait until it is clarified whether it is safe or not to try the update.

Well guys, I've just had my mind blown: I turned on my AFX today and *everything seems to be working fine*! I tried turning it off and on many times, and nary a hiccup - Oh Happy Day! Perhaps this update resets something in the internal working that some units take a while to accept? Only Cliff would know...

BTW: I am finding that the compression control in the Amp is working much more efficiently now (8.0), and that could explain why many users are saying the sound has more 'give' & 'cush' - I dig it, Just be careful not to overdo this setting... :)

Radley, Thats the same thing that I experienced, I had given up turned it off for about 15min and when I came back to show someone what was going wrong, it miraculously started working. I was able to upload my backed up patches and I'm a happy camper.

Check the schedule of the Large Hadron Collider. It could be that their efforts to learn more about the Higgs Boson particle are messing with the quantum level dependencies in the Axe Fx II.

Wait...did I say that out loud? The quantum computing chip wasn't supposed to be revealed for another decade.

Cliff has gotten so close to the Axe sounding like a tube amp that now it thinks it is one and has a Diva complex :D

Glad to hear it's back to working for you

Back
Top Bottom