Updating presets - Question about resetting Amp Blocks

Adinfinitum

Experienced
I spent about three hours going through all V10 presets and cherry picked the ones I liked. I then consolidated them in Banks A, B and part of C. I then went through my V9 presets and cherry picked those and added them to the V10 presets. Do I have to reset the amp block for the V9 patches to get them to V10 or is it automatic when I re-loaded them into V10. I assume I have to reset the amp block but would prefer not having to do that 90 times!

Thanks and sorry if this has been already asked and answered.

The answer is yes... .you will need to reset the amp block for all v9 presets you brought over.

And what happens in case resetting the amp results in a worse sound (even after some basic tweaking) respect to the one before resetting the amp?
Is it safe to keep the unreset amp preset?

Actually, you don't "have" to reset the amp block. All that does is reset any advanced parameters & with v10, the master volume. Any new parameters brought in by v10 will be at default settings regardless. I use the XY to compare (since there is still no compare feature on the Axe) Copy X to Y, reset & compare & the vast majority of the time, I like my advanced settings better than the default so I rarely go with resetting the amp block with this or any firmware update. As always, use your ears & go with what sounds best to you.

I still have presets from much earlier FW versions that haven't had their amps reset... if it still sounds good to me after I upgrade, I just leave it as is.

Hm... why then these directions that you have to reset the amp block if a preset is coming from an earlier firmware?

It's best to "reset" the amp when changing firmware versions.

If you don't and you are happy with how it sounds, then that's ok too.

Hm... why then these directions that you have to reset the amp block if a preset is coming from an earlier firmware?

Some people do it, some don't. Everyone has their way of doing things & there is no "one size fits all" way of working with the Axe. It's worth trying if your presets sound bad after an update but you certainly don't have to do it!

If you are using user cabs you imported for pre- version 10, you will also need to edit the cab then re-save your preset. Just select edit for the cab, no changes- as soon as you selected edit on your user cab you will hear the cab tone change. This is in addition to what's been mentioned above.

I went a step further and double-tapped the bypass button to completely initialize the amp model and all of its settings. I ended up in a better place starting fresh like this. A lot has changed and I suggest at least trying this on a patch or two to see if you like the results. It may be that a different mix of tone controls, for example, works better for you in V10.

Terry.

Thanks for all the replies. I've found that sometimes resetting the amp block sounds better; otherwise times (especially when its a Axe-Exchange or posted patch) not so much. I was hoping that if you download any patch, even a prior firmware patch, it would default to Firmware 10 automatically without resetting the amp block. Oh well, more work tonight. I also have to re-do all my XY functionality on all 384 patches. Now that is a fun project! At least once that is done, that's probably it for me in terms of getting the Axe up to speed.

Sorry for the question but what do you mean by reseting amp and cabs and how do you do that? I think i know but just want to double check thanks :)

Copy X to Y?

Actually, you don't "have" to reset the amp block. All that does is reset any advanced parameters & with v10, the master volume. Any new parameters brought in by v10 will be at default settings regardless. I use the XY to compare (since there is still no compare feature on the Axe) Copy X to Y, reset & compare & the vast majority of the time, I like my advanced settings better than the default so I rarely go with resetting the amp block with this or any firmware update. As always, use your ears & go with what sounds best to you.

This is great advice and I want to start using it. Sorry for the dumb question but how does one quickly Copy X to Y? Thanks for your help!

Thanks for all the replies. I've found that sometimes resetting the amp block sounds better; otherwise times (especially when its a Axe-Exchange or posted patch) not so much. I was hoping that if you download any patch, even a prior firmware patch, it would default to Firmware 10 automatically without resetting the amp block. Oh well, more work tonight. I also have to re-do all my XY functionality on all 384 patches. Now that is a fun project! At least once that is done, that's probably it for me in terms of getting the Axe up to speed.

Maybe its been requested already but surely if there was something in the utility menu that did this for every single patch it would be a godsend.....

Back
Top Bottom