Updating MFC-101 Firmware with MIDI-OX over USB

rtcook

Experienced
I ran into a little problem updating v. 2.11 firmware, so I made some notes for future reference. Thought I would just share.

Roger

Updating MFC-101 Firmware with MIDI-OX over USB and one 5-pin MIDI cable between Axe-FX II and MFC-101

1.) Set these options in the Axe-Fx II
I/O button > MIDI tab > SEND REALTIME SYSEX = NONE
I/O button > MIDI tab > USB ADAPTER MODE = ON
2.) Power-down Axe-Fx II
3.) Remove Cat-5 between Axe-Fx II and MFC-101
4.) Connect Axe-Fx II MIDI OUT/THRU to MFC-101 MIDI IN using a 5-pin MIDI cable
5.) Power on Axe-FX II, then power on the MFC-101 by connecting the Cat-5 cable while holding down footswitch #1
6.) To send the firmware with MIDI-OX, use View > SysEx to bring up the SysEx View and Scratchpad window, then go to SysEx > Configure to configure the buffers to:

Low Level Input and Output Buffers set to 256 or 128 bytes (Size) and 16 (Num)
Delay set to 60 MilliSeconds Between Buffers
Delay after F7 setting is ticked

Also verify that the options MIDI Filter... and Pass SysEx are ticked under the Options tab of the main menu

Open the Utility > Preset page on the Axe-Fx II, because this makes sure the Axe-Fx II is not sending anything which could interfere with the update process.

From the SysEx View and Scratchpad window, use File > Send SysEx File... and pick the SysEx file to be used for the update from wherever it resides on
your computer. After it is picked, the update will occur automatically. The MFC-101 will show a “% COMPLETE” while in-process and “FW Update Complete”
when finished.

7.) Power down MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II. (Just turn the Axe-FX II off)
8.) Remove the MIDI cable.
9.) Power on Axe-Fx II and restored these options in the Axe-Fx II to defaults:
I/O button > MIDI tab > SEND REALTIME SYSEX = ALL
I/O button > MIDI tab > USB ADAPTER MODE = OFF
10.) Check the MFC-101 firmware number by pressing the following switches on the MFC-101:
EDIT, then SETUP and finally PAGE -
“FW VERSION (version number)” should be on the display.
11.) The MFC-101 must be power cycled to begin using the new firmware by doing a factory restore. Power off the MFC-101 by unplugging the Cat-5 cable and then
power it back on by plugging in the Cat-5 cable while holding down switch #11 on the MFC-101. “Restore? Press ENTER” will be on the display. Press the #14
ENTER switch to restore the MFC-101 to factory settings.
12.) Check that the PORT (MIDI or EXPANSION) and MODE (II or ULTRA) are set accordingly by pressing the following switches on the MFC-101:
EDIT, then MIDI (UP/DOWN) to set the PORT, then EDIT again to save
EDIT, then SETUP (UP/DOWN) to set the MODE, then EDIT again to save

Sequence updated. Thank you, Morphosis.
Roger

Updating MFC-101 Firmware with MIDI-OX over USB and one 5-pin MIDI cable between Axe-FX II and MFC-101

1.) Set these options in the Axe-Fx II
I/O button > MIDI tab > SEND REALTIME SYSEX = NONE
I/O button > MIDI tab > USB ADAPTER MODE = ON

Open the Utility > Preset page on the Axe-Fx II and leave it there, because this makes sure the Axe-Fx II is not sending anything which could interfere with the update process.

2.) Power-down Axe-Fx II
3.) Remove Cat-5 between Axe-Fx II and MFC-101
4.) Connect Axe-Fx II MIDI OUT/THRU to MFC-101 MIDI IN using a 5-pin MIDI cable
5.) Power on Axe-FX II, then power on the MFC-101 by connecting the Cat-5 cable while holding down footswitch #1
6.) To send the firmware with MIDI-OX, use View > SysEx to bring up the SysEx View and Scratchpad window, then go to SysEx > Configure to configure the buffers to:

Low Level Input and Output Buffers set to 256 or 128 bytes (Size) and 16 (Num) (I used 128 bytes)
Delay set to 60 MilliSeconds Between Buffers
Delay after F7 setting is ticked

Also verify that the options MIDI Filter... and Pass SysEx are ticked under the Options tab of the main menu

From the SysEx View and Scratchpad window, use File > Send SysEx File... and pick the SysEx file to be used for the update from wherever it resides on
your computer. After it is picked, the update will occur automatically. The MFC-101 will show a “% COMPLETE” while in-process and “FW Update Complete”
when finished.

7.) Power down MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II. (Just turn the Axe-FX II off)
8.) Remove the MIDI cable.
9.) Power on Axe-Fx II and restored these options in the Axe-Fx II to defaults:
I/O button > MIDI tab > SEND REALTIME SYSEX = ALL
I/O button > MIDI tab > USB ADAPTER MODE = OFF
10.) Check the MFC-101 firmware number by pressing the following switches on the MFC-101:
EDIT, then SETUP and finally PAGE -
“FW VERSION (version number)” should be on the display.
11.) The MFC-101 must be power cycled to begin using the new firmware by doing a factory restore. Power off the MFC-101 by unplugging the Cat-5 cable and then
power it back on by plugging in the Cat-5 cable while holding down switch #11 on the MFC-101. “Restore? Press ENTER” will be on the display. Press the #14
ENTER switch to restore the MFC-101 to factory settings.
12.) Check that the PORT (MIDI or EXPANSION) and MODE (II or ULTRA) are set accordingly by pressing the following switches on the MFC-101:
EDIT, then MIDI (UP/DOWN) to set the PORT, then EDIT again to save
EDIT, then SETUP (UP/DOWN) to set the MODE, then EDIT again to save

Back
Top Bottom