Updating from v14 to v16. Anything I should know/do?

kostein

Inspired
This last update has something I want to try, namely the new Diezel models so I'm finally gonna bite the bullet. Is there anything I should do before or after I update so that my current presets don't change too much or even become unusable?

In your case, a possible yes. The first four Kalthallen cabinets were removed and replaced with UltraRes IRs from out last studio session. The release notes have the original file names so you can install them in the user slots.

In your case, a possible yes. The first four Kalthallen cabinets were removed and replaced with UltraRes IRs from out last studio session. The release notes have the original file names so you can install them in the user slots.

It's kinda awesome that you remember how much I specifically use those cabs. :) Thanks for the heads up. Some extra work there but nothing major. I also remember reading something about doing an "amp reset" after updating when v15 was released, does that still stand?

Hah, the other Kalthalen user, I still have me some awesome Kostein patches, and these were the ones with Kalthallen, Ill have to go see which ones!

First of all, make sure you are wearing a diaper because you are going to s**t cathodes when you hear all the changes. There will be some pretty noticeable changes since that firmware but all for the good of the unit. I have been blown away by all of the updates. Hard to believe the unit would change this much since I bought it a few years ago.

I've seen folks on other forums make fun of the whole "now the AxeFX-II is more realer", etc. thing but honestly, Cliff is finding things that make the system sound better. This latest reverb update is an example as well as the high-res IRs. It all makes sense now. Cliff and Co. made the unit and thru the engine in there, etc. and gave us a great product. Now they are fine tuning the engine. :)

I updated from 14 to the latest FW yesterday. No worries! nothing strange will happen. I was expecting my levels would be all over place and clipping etc. because of the new amp setting. But to my surprise that didn't happen. I performed the 'update all amps prsts' procedure. My master volumes did not change. I mostly use the Shiva lead and clean amps.

I did the same last weekend, also from 14.02 to 16.02. Just hit update all amps prsts in the Utility menu once you've loaded the new update to set all the advanced parameters to default values. If you've fiddled with those, copy the affected values down somewhere. But, with the new modeling you might not need to revisit those anyway.

Then check out the passive EQ's. I removed my low and high cuts from the Cab block and instead put in a PEQ at the end with the Shelving2 types for bands 1 and 5, both set to -12 dB at 100 and 6000 Hz respectively. Added a bit of liveliness to my presets, so that's pretty awesome. :)

Oh, and don't forget to backup of course. Saved my ass when I needed it. :)

The non-master volume amp models really shine with the recent updates. Not that they ever sounded bad, but there just seems to be more juicy tube magic in there lately. They all feel so good to play.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

I have fiddled with advanced parameters on quite a few of my presets. I'm wondering, if I load a v14 preset from my pc after I update all the amps, will that preset have the advanced parameters set back to default? If that is the case, is there a way to save those values in some way or will I need to write them down somewhere?

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

I have fiddled with advanced parameters on quite a few of my presets. I'm wondering, if I load a v14 preset from my pc after I update all the amps, will that preset have the advanced parameters set back to default? If that is the case, is there a way to save those values in some way or will I need to write them down somewhere?

You don't need to run update all amps. If you do it will set advanced parameters to defaults. I would just update the firmware alone.

You're slacking Kos! You're overdue for a new hi gain showcase with patches!

Yeah I know :roll I've been gaming a lot the past few months and I haven't been playing music enough. I'm trying to change that though and hopefully get to making silly videos again soon.

I just realized that it's been a little over a year since I posted my FW12 showcase! 87k views and counting. I'd love to do another one at some point but just the thought of how much work it entails makes my head spin right now. Plus, there haven't been a lot of new amps added since v12 that could be used for teh brootz.

I updated to v16 but I reverted back to v14. My main tones were just missing that extra something with v16 and after a couple of hours of trying to get them where I want them I finally gave up. There's something about my Diezel patches on v14 that even though I can't really pinpoint, it just makes them sound so good to me. I really feel at home with them and I'm pretty much done with searching for the perfect tone, at least for a long while. I feel that I'll stick with v14 until there is a major reason for me to update the firmware.

Back
Top Bottom