Updating from 9.02 to 11.03 questions regarding patches

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I'm kicking around taking the plunge to 11.03. Now, I know there are tons of changes to the modeling and I'm prepared to re-tweak everything, but I remember reading somewhere that patches pre-10.x are incompatible with the latest firmware. I don't see it in the patch notes (I could be overlooking it), but the thought of having to re-program all my switches from scratch terrifies me. Is there any truth to this? Or can I simply update, load my patches, and start tweaking?

you can but if you save a patch under 11.XX and go back to 9.02 it will be gone , so jut back up your banks first and then go to town :)

you can but if you save a patch under 11.XX and go back to 9.02 it will be gone , so jut back up your banks first and then go to town :)

Awesome! I only have 1 gig this weekend and it's a frat party, so I figured now is the time to upgrade/tweak!

Just updated and holy cow do I have a lot of work to do! Everything is different! It feels much more responsive, but boy is it a night and day difference in tone. I have to use MUCH more gain than I did previously to even come close... hell my crunch channel is almost clean. I shall spend the next couple days tweaking.

Man, I am going to need to start from scratch. After 2 hours of wrestling with it using Axe Edit I am pretty frustrated. I feel like I am fighting my guitar. It's just not responding. I even cranked my atomic up to 100db and it just feels lifeless.

Also, Axe Edit frustrates the hell outta me. I don't even know how many times I had to reset my patch because I was working in scene 1, switch to scene 2 and accidentally adjust the wrong block. I'll stick with the front panel.

Tomorrow I am going to program a simple patch from nothing and see if that helps.

I have my AXE on 9.02 and love it but I wanted to play with all the new firmware amps and toys so I recently bought a second unit and kept the old one on 9.02 for gigging and now I also have a backup unit. I noticed the new firmware changed all of my advanced settings like triode hardness and B+ constant and things like that. The delays are more prominant so I had to back down the mix a bit on them. I found some really good sounds on 11.03 but all of my old settings are not anywhere near as good as my 9.02 unit. I'm going to keep playing for now and if all else fails, I will put 9.02 on my new unit and download all of my old patches on to it. The downside is no AE and I love the new wahs! Good luck tweaking. Also a quick note, I use tube power amp and 4x12 cabs. I can't use ir's and go direct, I am old school I guess! You?

Last edited:
Also a quick note, I use tube power amp and 4x12 cabs. I can't use ir's and go direct, I am old school I guess! You?

I'm an FRFR guy all the way.

I figured out my problem: Axe Edit lies. I setup a patch from scratch with just amp/cab and it sounds AMAZING, so something had to be wrong with my method using the editor.

I went back to Axe Edit and decided to learn the software rather than tweak a patch, which seems counter-intuitive. There are a few caveats to using that software. First, I had to re-initialize EVERY block. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. If you copy a block set to X, then switch to Y and paste, it'll APPEAR that it pasted X to Y. HOWEVER, if you save and then re-load that patch, it didn't actually do that. In reality, it copied the entire block as is and pasted it on itself as is with a net change of bumpkiss. You have to right-click the X/Y and select "Copy X to Y" or "Copy X to Clipboard". What I ended up doing was dialing in each scene in it's own patch, then going back and copy/pasting the blocks into their proper X/Y setup and now it sounds pretty damned good. So, 1 patch with 3 scenes (almost) done... I have 4 more patches to do!

I haven't balanced the levels yet, but here's a quick clip of what I have going on in my main patch.

Bridge Pickup

Neck Pickup

Edit: Wow, I gotta take some of that low end off. Through different speakers, it's really muddy.

I'm tweaking new patches now, and having good luck but yeah starting from scratch!

Back
Top Bottom