updating firmware?

mgavin

Experienced
Hey guys I'll be getting my ultra soon and i'm confused how to go about updating the firmware to 10.05... do i need an interface or do i just need a midi to usb cable?

i have a macbook pro and have downloaded axe edit already... can someone give me a step by step? thanks guys! - mg

The more you read up on the AxeFx--the manual, the wiki, the forum--the more you will get out of your AxeFx.

You need a midi adapter, either USB or FireWire, and two 5 pin midi cables. A nice combo unit (audio and midi) is the Lexicon I-Onix U22. For just midi I'd recommend the M-Audio MidiSport 2x2 Anniversary.

really what a bummer. so i can't just use a single midi to usb cable that costs like 10 bucks off amazon?

really what a bummer. so i can't just use a single midi to usb cable that costs like 10 bucks off amazon?
No.. you need TWO... the Axe has midi (sysex) data going both directions. A single cable will not cut it... however, you CAN use a single 7-pin midi cable with the Axe0->MFC101.. it provides phantom power and bi-directional communication. Unfortunately, that will not work for your PC<->AxeEdit - you need 2 * 5-pin midi cables for that.

Since you just ordered your Ultra, it will most likely come with 10.05 loaded on it already. I got mine on Tuesday and it had 10.05. So you've likely got some time before you'll need to update firmware. That's precious time you could save for a good MIDI interface.

Also, welcome to the last preamp/fx-processor you will ever own!

No.. you need TWO... the Axe has midi (sysex) data going both directions. A single cable will not cut it... however, you CAN use a single 7-pin midi cable with the Axe0->MFC101.. it provides phantom power and bi-directional communication. Unfortunately, that will not work for your PC<->AxeEdit - you need 2 * 5-pin midi cables for that.

That is INCORRECT. I update my Ultra's firmware with a single midi cable all the time. I have done so since August 2007, for dozens of firmware updates. You are confusing the requirements of Axe-Edit (which *does* need both midi cables) with the simple needs of a f/w update which can be done quite reliably with a "single midi to usb cable that costs like 10 bucks off amazon", by using either MidiOx or Bome's SendSX.

For clarity's sake in this thread... the "single midi to usb cable" mentioned basically *is* a MIDI interface, albeit a very compact one.
Some people have had good luck with those types. Others have not. Same as the other standard form interfaces.
imho, a 2x2 is a more versatile small package, but if the basic USB to MIDI works... well... then cool.

Hey mgavin
I'm in Minneapolis and I just upgraded from a Midisport Uno.You can have the UNO if you want it.You'll just need to update drivers from M-Audio's website when you install it.I always got it to work,but it was a bit trying at times.Send me a PM if you want it

Cheers
Todd

thanks for the replies guys!

hey todd that would be awesome could you email me at mgavin@mcnallysmith.edu

let's jam some time as well i get my suhr modern in a couple weeks, i could buy you a surly as well! thanks man!!

That is INCORRECT. I update my Ultra's firmware with a single midi cable all the time. I have done so since August 2007, for dozens of firmware updates. You are confusing the requirements of Axe-Edit (which *does* need both midi cables) with the simple needs of a f/w update which can be done quite reliably with a "single midi to usb cable that costs like 10 bucks off amazon", by using either MidiOx or Bome's SendSX.
Without splitting hairs, and with all due respect, I didn't state that TWO midi cables was the ONLY way to update the firmware. My post was based on the OP's statement that they had AxeEdit downloaded. plus, the OP seemed confused enough on the fundamentals. Why complicate the issue?

If you update the firmware using AxeEdit, TWO midi cables are required. If you update using a midi utility such as Midiox/SendSX (which only run on Windoze, and OP stated he has a Mac BTW), then you are correct. One midi cable will work. The Op will need Librarian and 1 midi cable, or 2 midi cables if using AxeEdit.

Tho' I fail to see why they would bypass using AxeEdit's features for the price of a single midi cable - in favor of a midi utility and editing presets via the Axe itself. But that's just me. :eek:

Without splitting hairs, and with all due respect, I didn't state that TWO midi cables was the ONLY way to update the firmware. My post was based on the OP's statement that they had AxeEdit downloaded. plus, the OP seemed confused enough on the fundamentals. Why complicate the issue?

If you update the firmware using AxeEdit, TWO midi cables are required. If you update using a midi utility such as Midiox/SendSX (which only run on Windoze, and OP stated he has a Mac BTW), then you are correct. One midi cable will work. The Op will need Librarian and 1 midi cable, or 2 midi cables if using AxeEdit.

Tho' I fail to see why they would bypass using AxeEdit's features for the price of a single midi cable - in favor of a midi utility and editing presets via the Axe itself. But that's just me. :eek:

Fair enough, though the original poster has obviously not used Axe-Edit yet (given that he's asking whether or not he needs an interface). Therefore, there was still time to save him from the frustrations of using Axe-Edit in the first place! ;-)

Me, I fail to see how anyone would risk borking their Axe-FX with a beta Editor, when they could instead use a simple and safe midi librarian (and learn to use their Axe-FX front panel, so they are thoroughly familiar with it during real-life performances). But that's just me ;-)

Peace!

Last edited:
Me, I fail to see how anyone would risk borking their Axe-FX with a beta Editor, when they could instead use a simple and safe midi librarian (and learn to use their Axe-FX front panel, so they are thoroughly familiar with it during real-life performances). But that's just me ;-)

Peace!
Point taken.. LOL! Frustrations aside, I challenge anyone to come forth that has [recently] borked their Axe so that it was unrecoverable and had to be returned to FAS to be fixed!

For experienced users like yourself, the challenge becomes educating NEW users and translating that [valuable] experience into "real-life" application. We know that there is no single set of hardware interfaces/PC's that works flawlessly with the Editor. On the flip side, I have done at least 8+ firmware upgrades solely using AxeEdit, without a single issue. OTOT - I have done that with the dreaded "Midisport UNO" on Win7-x64 using "generic" midi drivers. Is that luck or more of a testament to the stability of the more recent versions of the editor - aside from the "connectivity" issues. I use AxeEdit exclusively for editing and do NOT use the front panel. For "newbies" I suggest the same approach as the editor is far more friendly, easier to navigate and a LOT harder to make mistakes with.

I do not tweak at gigs so have no need for "deep editing" knowledge via the front panel. IMHO, doing so is a prime indicator that one has not done their "homework" and the patch is not ready for gigging. I may adjust volume levels by tweaking output levels to FOH/monitors, but presets are tweaked during rehearsal or at home. Thats my view and I know it's not one that many espouse to.

While I understand the frustration others have had (in the past) with the editor, its current version is much more stable. Yes, Preset Manager is VERY Beta and not being enhanced/fixed as FAS states it is being rewritten, but one can get by without it. I do not use it much myself, and do not recommend its use to anyone.
I DO recommend that folks at least TRY AxeEdit before the other utilities, they may be surprised at how well it can work!

Last edited:
surly brewer offered to help me out w/ a midisport, why is it so dreaded? i also think i'll be getting the latest firmware w/ my new ultra, so basically i would just like to transfer new patches my friends email me onto my axe and be able to send my friends my patches as well. thanks for all the info!!!!

Back
Top Bottom